Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 05:04 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,601,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
F

Life is hard. People can be vulnerable. We cannot all be rock-solid, all the time. There usually is not a shortage of vulnerable people who can be deceived, manipulated, coerced, preyed upon, and it isn't a vulnerable person's fault that they are vulnerable either. A lot of the time, they don't know just how much so they are, until/unless they recover and look back on things from a different perspective. Saying that psychopaths are "attractive to women" is...oversimplifying the matter. A lot.

Ita....it’s also oversimplifying a very serious...& rare...clinical diagnosis. We aren’t attracted to abusers either tho... it takes yrs of manipulation...isolation...& financial dependence.....without seeing the warning signs.

It’s so important we all know the warning signs for men that aren’t healthy & may be abusive to us....

Maintaining our own friendships & relationships with coworkers & family is *vital to a healthy relationship*.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 05:41 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,725,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita....it’s also oversimplifying a very serious...& rare...clinical diagnosis. We aren’t attracted to abusers either tho... it takes yrs of manipulation...isolation...& financial dependence.....without seeing the warning signs.

It’s so important we all know the warning signs for men that aren’t healthy & may be abusive to us....

Maintaining our own friendships & relationships with coworkers & family is *vital to a healthy relationship*.....
Yep. Isolating a partner, in my opinion, should be seen as a HUGE red flag. And it might be one of the more obvious ones to spot and take note of (it was one of the first things I could really put my finger on with my Ex) when the abuse you're suffering is psychological/emotional/financial/etc rather than physical, and the gaslighting has you not knowing which way is up anymore.

I was one of those who said more than once, "Sometimes I wish he'd just hit me instead. It would be a lot less confusing."

Old 11-04-2019, 08:55 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,009,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Did anyone try to read the actual study and see whether or not the results/data are sensible and statistically significant?
Didn't need to... I read the story about the study and realized it was non-news. As I said in my former post, article pretty much said, "women are attracted to confident, charming men." Not "women are attracted to men who are batshyt crazy" the way the headline made it sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Not sure why you are so snippy. I just told my story - I said I was dumb, what else do you want?

And it is abuse - you know, violence is easier to detect - if he would have hit me, I'd be at the cops within an hour. But manipulation and brainwashing - different story, it creeps up on you, there is no real evidence or the fact of a bloody nose. Words can be interpreted and twisted and used against you in a way that makes you wonder what is real and what isn't.

I didn't want to make this thread about me - I just said they can be pretty charming and by the time you realize that person is sick in their head - your mind makes all sorts of excuses for them.
Especially if they're also making other people think they're great, so everone all thinks you are the one with the problem if you say something's not right.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:30 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This feels an awful lot like blaming the women. Blame the psychopathic males, for Pete’s sake.
ive seen too many times nice girls go for the bad boy losers..... then wonder why they are being treated badly.....
and a nice guy ...that will treat her like a queen (or with respect she deserves) she thinks might be a bit "boring"

ill never forget the movie .. maybe it was debra winger on urban or midnight cowboy ….when she fell for the cowboy and said "I finally got my cowboy" he moved in with her was a drunk and hit her..

usually women in their late 20's learn after being burnt...so many times to leave the losers alone..

im not blaming the women it's just their are nice decent guys all around.....all she has to do is smile at one she kinda likes....as easy as that ..

Old 11-05-2019, 06:12 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,009,998 times
And it took as many as 44 posts for the "women don't like nice guys" trope to come out... or maybe that was the point of this article/thread anyway.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:36 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,353,734 times
I wouldn't be attracted to a psychopath or a sociopath in a million years and think women who do need some psychotherapy.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:17 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,019,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yep. Isolating a partner, in my opinion, should be seen as a HUGE red flag. And it might be one of the more obvious ones to spot and take note of (it was one of the first things I could really put my finger on with my Ex) when the abuse you're suffering is psychological/emotional/financial/etc rather than physical, and the gaslighting has you not knowing which way is up anymore.

I was one of those who said more than once, "Sometimes I wish he'd just hit me instead. It would be a lot less confusing."
Thats me! yes, if he would have hit me - I'd be at the cops and he is clearly the bad guy. But he always turned it around so it ended up my fault. And the isolating ... It is not always so black and white ... I had mostly guy friends because I have guy hobbies. He was jealous and told me they all just wait for me to sleep with them, which was kinda true. So I got rid of all those male friends. I had a few female friends left and they loved him - he was super charming to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Especially if they're also making other people think they're great, so everone all thinks you are the one with the problem if you say something's not right.
Yes, that's how it was in my case - my parents and friends loved him because he was amazing in front of them. He sent flowers to work for me. He made my birthdays unbelievably fun and spoiled the hell out of me. Everyone was jealous. When we entered a room, people noticed us. We were attached at the hip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I wouldn't be attracted to a psychopath or a sociopath in a million years and think women who do need some psychotherapy.
yeah, that's what I thought, too. But then it happened anyway. I am a very strong, independent and dominant woman - and I was attracted because he was an alpha male, good looking, extremely smart and liked me for whom I was, we had super deep conversations, we had a deep bond within a short time because he was very interested in getting to know me. And then he used that information against me in fights.
I usually don't go for hot guys and I never will again.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ive seen too many times nice girls go for the bad boy losers..... then wonder why they are being treated badly.....
and a nice guy ...that will treat her like a queen (or with respect she deserves) she thinks might be a bit "boring"

ill never forget the movie .. maybe it was debra winger on urban or midnight cowboy ….when she fell for the cowboy and said "I finally got my cowboy" he moved in with her was a drunk and hit her..

usually women in their late 20's learn after being burnt...so many times to leave the losers alone..

im not blaming the women it's just their are nice decent guys all around.....all she has to do is smile at one she kinda likes....as easy as that ..

Ita....but it’s sad because...women that are not financially independent or have their own interests & friendships...are the most vulnerable. They have the least to offer.....& they settle for a man that has the least to offer too.......

An abuser or a psychopath isn’t a “bad boy” tho.....he is emotionally unstable & a poor decision for a relationship. “Bad boys” can mean lots of things but I see it as a man that stands up for himself....goes against what is “normal or conservative”....& likes some adventure or risk taking. So guys that “treat you like a princess” can still be bad boys & not boring....IMO....

Old 11-05-2019, 08:41 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,019,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
It's not that easy - you make it seem like we meet a guy and the guy says "I am a psychopath, I hit women, I abuse them, I manipulate them and suck the life out of them and then I treat them like garbage because I am mentally sick." And the woman says "Cool, let's date. I want to be treated badly."

It goes more like that - a woman meets a very nice, sincere, deep and sensitive guy who MAYBE discloses that he has a bad past, BUT he is mature now and so much better, only maybe sometimes is a little depressed. The woman falls for him because he is an amazing person and makes her feel like a princess.

THEN he changes.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It's not that easy - you make it seem like we meet a guy and the guy says "I am a psychopath, I hit women, I abuse them, I manipulate them and suck the life out of them and then I treat them like garbage because I am mentally sick." And the woman says "Cool, let's date. I want to be treated badly."

It goes more like that - a woman meets a very nice, sincere, deep and sensitive guy who MAYBE discloses that he has a bad past, BUT he is mature now and so much better, only maybe sometimes is a little depressed. The woman falls for him because he is an amazing person and makes her feel like a princess.

THEN he changes.

But that is where knowledge of the warning signs can be so helpful......because there are warning signs & common histories you will find among abusers...& psychopaths..(but that is more rare)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology