Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 10:27 AM

6,177 posts, read 4,568,584 times

Advertisements

I knew a psychologist who told me bi polar people are promiscuous, which may or may not be true. What I know is true from a family member being medicated for it is that increased sex drive is one of the side effects of some of the meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 10:53 AM

6,916 posts, read 4,931,984 times
Does it matter? She's your Ex. If she wasn't your Ex would you overlook it as , she's bipolar so it's okay? Or would it be I can't tolerate this behavior even if she is bipolar?

Old 12-16-2023, 10:53 AM

13,678 posts, read 10,066,197 times
I do know someone who's bipolar, and luckily her urges are not aimed at me, but what you say does ring true.

Maybe I only ever see her when she's the other person though.

Old 12-16-2023, 01:42 PM

5,703 posts, read 3,206,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
*sigh*

That last statement is utterly ridiculous and would get you a failing grade in a psych 101 class. As easy examples of why, someone with a fear of being touched would be an unlikely sexual aggressor, suicidal thoughts do not commonly include a desire to sexually assault, paranoia has no sexual content. Even within the category of paraphilia, aggression towards another is only within a small subset.
He said VICTIM. Not aggressor.

Old 12-16-2023, 01:47 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,085,705 times
Errrr, sort of....but it may not quite be the way you think.

I get off on being angelic, being the cheerleader for the office and things. Momentary explosions of pure pleasure that are addictive for I want more, More, MORE. Now, the good thing to my positive feedback circuit of dopamine is that it is in a socially acceptable way, more or less. I mean, the clothes stay on....but as an insatiable Succubus, I could suck the life out of others.

And the bad thing? Those little explosions are constantly, if bit by bit, building the WAVE that must eventually be released, but I get to pick the time and place for that.

LONG STORY SHORT......keep in mind that we have different ways of seeing sex.

Old 12-16-2023, 05:13 PM

6,315 posts, read 4,224,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I knew a psychologist who told me bi polar people are promiscuous, which may or may not be true. What I know is true from a family member being medicated for it is that increased sex drive is one of the side effects of some of the meds.
My first question would be are the rates of promiscuity higher for people with bpd than teens and young adults, and does the percentage of promiscuity diminish as the bpd patient gets older. Raging hormones may be exacerbated by certain mental health conditions but I’m not sure it’s a given that just because someone has bpd they are promiscuous. I have had several close friends with bpd and they were not promiscuous but then at that time we were in our 30’s and 40’s.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:57 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,004,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony19800 View Post
My ex who was bi polar I found out cheated on me a few times.

She told me when she’s having an episode she has to have sex right away with whoever is available and had no control over herself

Now iam pretty sensitive to mental health and people’s issues with that but it sounds insane to me that being bi polar means at times you need sex and arechelpless in trying to stop yourself from having it

Im sure people might be more prone to be impulsive and do risky things like having random sex while being BI polar but I refuse to believe you have zero control over it and can’t just resist your urges

To me it’s just an excuse to be selfish and lack control
Yes, it's normal. I've got some snake oil that might cure it though. Maybe there are some magic beans as well.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:48 AM

8,885 posts, read 4,612,766 times
We used to call that "being a teenager". If she is no longer a teenager, we used to call that "being a ****", or "having round heels", etc.

Old 01-13-2024, 11:05 PM

28 posts, read 13,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony19800 View Post
My ex who was bi polar I found out cheated on me a few times.

She told me when she’s having an episode she has to have sex right away with whoever is available and had no control over herself

Now iam pretty sensitive to mental health and people’s issues with that but it sounds insane to me that being bi polar means at times you need sex and arechelpless in trying to stop yourself from having it

Im sure people might be more prone to be impulsive and do risky things like having random sex while being BI polar but I refuse to believe you have zero control over it and can’t just resist your urges

To me it’s just an excuse to be selfish and lack control

If you have ever come across or lived with a person with Bipolar Condition (Bipolar Disorder is Hereditary and I have lived with my Aunt and Mom who were diagnosed with Bipolar/Hypomania) , you will be aware that it causes extreme mood swings, anxiety, depression. Also there are side effects if you are taking medicines to relax and calm down for Bipolar condition.

Now Sex can help you to relax, and take your mind off everyday worries and anxieties. During sex your body releases endorphins and oxytocin, and these feel-good hormones create feelings of relaxation and intimacy, as well as helping to stave off anxiety and depression.

Evidence exists that sex can help with anxiety by increasing endorphins and oxytocin in your brain, (having soothing and clamer effect on brain) which have been known to reduce stress levels and increase happiness. However, it is important to note that the impact of sex on anxiety will vary depending on the individual.

Since impact of sex on anxiety varies for every individual , it may be noted that people will tend to cheat/ look for sex elsewhere if their steady partner is unable to cope up with the sexual appetite to help them reduce the anxiety level achieved through sex.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:40 AM

12,794 posts, read 15,059,271 times
OP's Last Activity: Yesterday 10:19 PM, but will he post here again since haven't in a month?

I've never heard of it, but perhaps impulsivity in general.

HOWEVER, wasn't she on meds & if so, you'd think if she cared about you, she'd take them regularly, so she wouldn't have those impulsive sex urges. Sounds like she's using her condition as an excuse to cheat all over the place & she liked that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology