Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 08:52 AM

25 posts, read 9,235 times

Advertisements

My ex who was bi polar I found out cheated on me a few times.

She told me when she’s having an episode she has to have sex right away with whoever is available and had no control over herself

Now iam pretty sensitive to mental health and people’s issues with that but it sounds insane to me that being bi polar means at times you need sex and arechelpless in trying to stop yourself from having it

Im sure people might be more prone to be impulsive and do risky things like having random sex while being BI polar but I refuse to believe you have zero control over it and can’t just resist your urges

To me it’s just an excuse to be selfish and lack control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 09:45 AM

867 posts, read 725,205 times
https://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disord...order-symptoms

Quote:
1) Bipolar mania or hypo-mania symptoms include:
  • Euphoria or irritability
  • Increased energy and activity
  • Excessive talk; racing thoughts
  • Inflated self-esteem
  • Unusual energy; less need for sleep
  • Impulsiveness, a reckless pursuit of gratification (shopping sprees, impetuous travel, more and sometimes promiscuous sex, high-risk business investments, fast driving)

Still not an excuse, IMO.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:13 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,340,804 times
What's her name and where's she from?

KIDDING!

Old 12-14-2023, 10:37 AM

20,410 posts, read 14,693,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony19800 View Post

She told me when she’s having an episode she has to have sex right away with whoever is available and had no control over herself

Now iam pretty sensitive to mental health and people’s issues with that but it sounds insane to me that being bi polar means at times you need sex and arechelpless in trying to stop yourself from having it

Im sure people might be more prone to be impulsive and do risky things like having random sex while being BI polar but I refuse to believe you have zero control over it and can’t just resist your urges

I have known people who really suffered from bipolar disorder and that's not how it works for them. One woman in particular...she did have more casual sex when in one of her manic phases but it was not totally indiscriminate like that. I've never known a woman who felt like she just HAD to have sex with whoever was available. Though maybe some who had a hunger for interpersonal interaction but had a belief that they could only get someone to hang out with by offering sex to them. (I think that's somewhat common with young women/teenage girls who have shaky self esteem. When no one values you as a child, and suddenly you get sex appeal, it feels like the only power you ever had to get anyone to like you, or even to feel liked or appreciated or wanted even for a little while.)

She probably has more to unpack in her head than she thinks, about this.

In the meantime she needs to get ethical about this and stop trying to be in monogamous partnerships if she does not feel able to stand behind her commitments. Ethical Non Monogamy exists. There's no excuse to promise what you can't (or "can't") deliver.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:43 AM

8,704 posts, read 3,886,834 times
Quote:

Bipolar is a mental health issue i.e. it’s bizarre you think it an ‘excuse’. That said, if your girlfriend/significant other acknowledges she is bipolar, then why isn’t she taking mood-stabilizing medication and treating it? In other words, she can do something about it; if not, you can.

Old 12-14-2023, 01:39 PM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
My neighbor had bipolar and she would sometimes go crazy calling guys she knew to come over and have sex with her, literally begging and crying for them to come over right now. I could hear this through the wall, she was very loud. No one took her up on it. She was living at her boyfriend's place, this was while he was at work.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:38 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
Quote:

It doesn't work that way. What you are suggesting is that executive function in the brain is always available. That is pure BS. An easy indication that your belief is fallacious is to try to convince a drunk of anything, much less have them give a lecture on morality. When I worked in the state hospital, the libido of some of the patients was intense. Back then, the way that was handled was to increase the thorazine until it diminished.

The idea of a person being "in control" at all times is what is known as a legal fiction. No system of law would be functional if a criminal could simply say "I wasn't in control at the time, sorry!" and walk free.

The issue is best exemplified in some cases of rape. Rape is a form of assault, and as such a rapist is automatically guilty of a crime. The law struggles at times with nuances. A bi-polar who is placed in a situation where their desire for sex is exacerbated has (during one phase of the disease) only a limited executive function, and that may be overcome by the illness. The legal consequences are supposed to fit a crime. Putting a bi-polar in prison doesn't cure the bi-polar illness. The victim of the assault is expecting a punitive verdict as a form of retribution. Sometimes the legal system has no good response to all the factors involved. At such times, about all it can do is attempt to protect the public at large.

If members of the public ever realized just how much of the time most people walk around with their executive function disabled or impaired, they would be numb with fear.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Putting a bi-polar in prison doesn't cure the bi-polar illness.
It’s not meant to; if it’s known (although unlikely), it’s treatable in prison - but it’s not curable. Relative to the OP, their partner knows they are bipolar and yet, they apparently aren’t doing anything about it. Why would the OP be foolish enough to stick around (especially because they think it an ‘excuse’).

That said, any sort of mental illness is actually a significant risk factor/vulnerability to be a victim of sexual assault.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:53 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s not meant to; if it’s known (although unlikely), it’s treatable in prison - but it’s not curable. Relative to the OP, their partner knows they are bipolar and yet, they apparently aren’t doing anything about it. Why would the OP be foolish enough to stick around (especially because they think it an ‘excuse’).

That said, any sort of mental illness is actually a significant risk factor/vulnerability to be a victim of sexual assault.
*sigh*

That last statement is utterly ridiculous and would get you a failing grade in a psych 101 class. As easy examples of why, someone with a fear of being touched would be an unlikely sexual aggressor, suicidal thoughts do not commonly include a desire to sexually assault, paranoia has no sexual content. Even within the category of paraphilia, aggression towards another is only within a small subset.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
*sigh*

That last statement is utterly ridiculous and would get you a failing grade in a psych 101 class. .
It’s well-known/understood (as well as common sense) that someone with a sexual addiction or bipolar (who is experiencing a manic phase, as OP described, in which she is impulsive and seeks sex randomly) is more likely to place themselves in a high-risk situation with someone they don’t know than they otherwise would.

What’s utterly ridiculous is your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology