Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 05:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times

Advertisements

Because they aren't happy, or the happy people have something they want, and have been unable to obtain.

I'm seeing it now in a person who always felt her life was superior to her siblings, then her sibling obtained what she had and surpassed her. So now that person is making snarky comments to them for no reason, and throwing around light insults.

They will have to work it out on their own, and figure out why the other's success makes them feel bad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 08:02 PM

8,661 posts, read 3,861,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
When one of my granddaughters got married, her grandma, my husband's ex wife was at the reception. She can be a volatile person. Happily, she was pleasant and actually her and my husband had a heart to heart that I know was cathartic for my husband but I think it was for her as well. But she's the kind of person where it could've gone bad, and we knew it could've been bad.

So...we should've not gone, knowing her potential?
The thread is speaking to folks who are resentful/envious of others’ happiness; it’s not about volatile exes or folks who don’t get along (nor really about family or weddings, from my perspective, because most want to celebrate happiness relative to such).

My point being, if they are resentful of (or angry about) another’s happiness, they aren’t likely to attend (or be invited to) a celebratory event anyway. Why would they want to, other than to cause drama or spread negativity?

Old 01-25-2024, 08:30 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,349,573 times
I think it comes down to a matter of "that's not fair". What did THEY do to deserve to be more happy than I am?

Old 01-25-2024, 11:06 PM

867 posts, read 457,812 times
No brainer

Old 01-26-2024, 05:59 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The thread is speaking to folks who are resentful/envious of others’ happiness; it’s not about volatile exes or folks who don’t get along (nor really about family or weddings, from my perspective, because most want to celebrate happiness relative to such).

My point being, if they are resentful of (or angry about) another’s happiness, they aren’t likely to attend (or be invited to) a celebratory event anyway. Why would they want to, other than to cause drama or spread negativity?
And yet, there ARE unhappy people who show up to events to spread their misery. It happens frequently in all kinds of situations. I gave an example of one situation.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:03 AM

11,462 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Envy is real.

We often wish for ourselves what others have, and it affects our emotions. Welcome to the human condition.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:15 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,598,461 times
Quote:
And yet, there ARE unhappy people who show up to events to spread their misery. It happens frequently in all kinds of situations. I gave an example of one situation.
I couldn't rep you again. Until I personally experienced it, I didn't know there were people like this.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:54 AM

8,661 posts, read 3,861,506 times
Quote:
And yet, there ARE unhappy people who show up to events to spread their misery.
Point being, it doesn’t affect those who are aware of such i.e. your happiness or psychological health is not dependent on theirs. In fact, if it’s a friend or family member who is miserable or unhappy, wouldn’t you (want to) know why?

Old 01-26-2024, 07:55 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
I said "perhaps uncomfortable"....I guess I'm using all the wrong words Sorry!!!
I don't think you're picking the wrong words. The meaning and intent came through pretty well. Perhaps instead there are illustrations of your topic in action here.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:09 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Point being, it doesn’t affect those who are aware of such i.e. your happiness or psychological health is not dependent on theirs. In fact, if it’s a friend or family member who is miserable or unhappy, wouldn’t you (want to) know why?
I feel like you keep moving the goal posts.

You had asked why would unhappy people choose to be around happy people. I gave an example of why they would do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology