Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 12:10 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times

Advertisements

Most comedians are shy people and they can get up in front 1000's of strangers and play the clown. Sometimes shyness can be turned on and turned off. I don't think its that easy for people who are on the opposite end of the spectrum. Some shy people simply put a premium on peacefulness and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 10:23 AM

2,127 posts, read 1,058,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
What do you think?
I think being envious of someone doesn't necessarily mean that you have them on a pedestal. I would assume that very introverted people would certainly be a bit envious of those that get out and meet people, make friends fast and seem to live a more abundant and satisfying life.

That would only be natural, as being a really shy, intoverted person is usually a symptom of more serious underlying emotional problems. Those can be corrected with the right "help", but most just live in solitude and never try to get help so that they too can be social and make friends. That's on them, and help is out there.

Old 04-25-2024, 12:57 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
I think being envious of someone doesn't necessarily mean that you have them on a pedestal. I would assume that very introverted people would certainly be a bit envious of those that get out and meet people, make friends fast and seem to live a more abundant and satisfying life.

That would only be natural, as being a really shy, intoverted person is usually a symptom of more serious underlying emotional problems. Those can be corrected with the right "help", but most just live in solitude and never try to get help so that they too can be social and make friends. That's on them, and help is out there.
Wow!!!

Being shy and introverted means simply they aren't like you. Its clear you don't understand people who aren't like you on the extrovert/introvert scale.

Introverted means inward turned. So they are much less likely to be envious of others than the more extroverted. Most have no desire to be an extrovert. What motivates you doesn't motivate them. But many would like some things to be easier.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:04 PM

4,191 posts, read 3,409,560 times
Can I put myself on a pedestal now?

Old 04-26-2024, 10:44 PM

88,660 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Dear Everyone on the planet: kindly cease conflating introversion with shyness, misanthropy, or self-involvement.
I recently posted on the Retirement forum that introvert is not a synonym for antisocial, grouchy, or rude. Too many people on CD justify poor social behavior--or just being a jerk--with introversion.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-28-2024 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Misspelling

Old 04-28-2024, 06:20 AM

5,663 posts, read 3,171,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Dear Everyone on the planet: kindly cease conflating introversion with shyness, misanthropy, or self-involvement.
Amen to this!

Shyness and introversion are not the same thing. Yes, they often go hand in hand, but they are two different things.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:49 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I recently posted on the Retirement forum that introvert us not a synonym for antisocial, grouchy, or rude. Too many people on CD justify poor social behavior--or just being a jerk--with introversion.
That’s kind of an interesting take. I would associate rudeness and “jerkiness” almost exclusively with extroverts. You have to interact to be a jerk!

Grouchy could go either way.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:38 PM

8,714 posts, read 3,893,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I would associate rudeness and “jerkiness” almost exclusively with extroverts. You have to interact to be a jerk!
It’s not as if introverts don’t interact as well; it would be impossible for them to function if they didn’t. They are just more concerned with their own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things.

In other words, rudeness or ‘jerkiness’ can be found in some introverts as well.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:44 PM

28,964 posts, read 30,316,545 times
I don't believe shy people put others on a pedestal? Shy people don't always lack confidence, they are simply shy...doesn't mean there is anything abnormal about them, they are simply not as extroverted as others are....

I have a very close friend who was so very shy, a lovely person, but extremely shy....introverted...but then she had a child and when he got older he got involved in sports, and of course, she and hubby went to every game, and there she got to know people and really came out of her shell....it was nice to see...and she had a great time. She's very intelligent and works as an accountant...a warm caring person....

When they were my neighbors, we'd have so much fun....I miss her and we keep in contact....buy just b/c someone is shy doesn't mean they put others on a pedestal, and I'm sure some shy people wish they were a tad more open? But I'm just guessing.

My brother told me once, that I was so outgoing and friendly and he wished he could be more like me...and I was quit shocked...

Old 04-28-2024, 02:58 PM

4,191 posts, read 3,409,560 times
Anyone can be a rude jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology