Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 PM

927 posts, read 2,467,234 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am interested in working in real estate and wanted to get some general advice. I'm not really interested in becoming an investor at this point, and I'm not really interested in becoming a agent either. However, I would like to look into some classes or an opportunity where I could learn a bit more about the real estate world.

I have good experience in sales, marketing, negotiation, etc... in the entertainment industry. What are the most rewarding careers in real estate? What are the most lucrative?

Also, if you know of any programs, classes, or places I should look at into learning more, please let me know. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,782,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Hello all!

I am interested in working in real estate and wanted to get some general advice. I'm not really interested in becoming an investor at this point, and I'm not really interested in becoming a agent either. However, I would like to look into some classes or an opportunity where I could learn a bit more about the real estate world.

I have good experience in sales, marketing, negotiation, etc... in the entertainment industry. What are the most rewarding careers in real estate? What are the most lucrative?

Also, if you know of any programs, classes, or places I should look at into learning more, please let me know. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Look into your local college for some classes. You may also be able to get a job as a real estate assistant with your sales and marketing skills and be mentored by the agent(s) you're working for. That way you can learn quite a lot in a couple years. Skills in Microsoft Office programs is also very helpful.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:42 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,139,486 times
When established, sales are probably the most lucrative with the least skin in the game. One deal can make or break a developer.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:39 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
It sounds like you already have a pretty good background for the business end and real estate sales is primarily a people business so you are probably good there as well. If you are inerested in getting into the Biz I would suggest starting in a big company in a area that has alot of turn over which means alot of chances for you to learn and earn. My wife and I started our company in 2006 and it can be a great business. It is very rewarding to help say a young family find and get into their first home. It can be very lucrative to get into a area where turn over is high because of jobs etc... people moving and getting on is always a good thing.
as far as classes go the only ones I can think of is in Mass. our continuing education credits classes and of course the gruelling required class hours which is generally rules and regulations of the trade but of course you do need this in your background to stay out of trouble and legally represent the public.
Of course there is more to the real estate world then just sales, there are bank appraisers, home inspectors, mortgage writers and such. What it comes down to in any of these professions if you represent yourself and your clients professionally and with respect in a busy market you will do very well.
Good luck.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Lucrative: Investors/builders/sales agents or you can become the president of a large brand. Otherwise pick a different career.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM

927 posts, read 2,467,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Lucrative: Investors/builders/sales agents or you can become the president of a large brand. Otherwise pick a different career.
How do investors make money? I'm not looking for a bunch of residential rental properties. What about commercial real estate?

Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,712,828 times
Quote:
How do investors make money? I'm not looking for a bunch of residential rental properties. What about commercial real estate?
I started out as an admin for a big company and learned the business, the forms, and so on. What I can tell you is commercial is not as common, is more complex but you get a bigger commission(depending on the company of course). If you start as an agent the hardest thing is building a client base and it may take a year or two. I wouldn't expect to close more then five properties your first year. You can also become an agent and be the "rental agent" and gain experience that way.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Quote:
If you're really asking this, I'd suggest looking for a career in another field.

The answer is owning rentals or flipping houses btw.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,688 times
Some brokerages offer classes. Have you considered trying to get a job on a real estate team/brokerage? Or working in a commercial brokerage? I'm an agent and I'm ready to move to the next level. I'll probably transition to the investor/developer side.

Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals