Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:32 PM

442 posts, read 596,624 times

Advertisements

Before I was a realtor I had two different offers fall through on my own home. The first was a DVA buyer who backed out the day before his inspection once his loan officer showed him the real cost of loan (you'd think the buyers' agent would have told him about taxes and insurance), the second fell through because the sale of their own home fell through two days before closing and they couldn't get financing without it. Of the three homes of my own I sold before I was a realtor, one took 7 months, one took 12 months, the last took 11 months (these were in very small towns — slow markets). You win some, you lose some. I seriously doubt your agent blew the deal for you. Countering with a higher number to cover closing costs so the seller nets the same is VERY common (at least in my market) and best to find out before you're under contract whether the buyers are going to be easy to work with and can actually afford the house. In my experience, someone who would kill a deal over closing costs is the same kind of person who will nickel and dime you to death after the inspection. Nothing looks worse than a house that goes under contract and then comes back on the market right after the inspection period. In my market, that puts a scarlet letter on a house. So at least you avoided that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:35 PM

22,138 posts, read 13,173,357 times
True. Still, I'd have advised just taking the offer and running, all things considered. And disregarded.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:37 PM

8,095 posts, read 10,128,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Whose business is it where they get the money? This isn't Communist China (yet).
At first the buyer can say the down payment came from the "cookie jar". But, when the lender pulls the bank statements...and they see $3,000 just "popping up", they are going to ask where it came from. Show us the paper trail.

I Know you want this deal to come together....but there is no cash, and any attempt to make it so is going to raise red flags, which you should already be seeing, in spite of your extreme desire to get a deal done. The transaction has "trouble" written all over it...as in, solve one problem, only to have two more problems pop up somewhere else.

It will not end well...nor will it end with you selling your house to this "buyer". Might be best to just move on. If they get the money, they will be back--legitimately. Otherwise, consider yourself having dodged a bullet and wait for the next buyer to come along.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:33 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,284,752 times
it's "y'all".

sorry this happened, but as has been noted, whether your agent that you don't trust at all had you counteroffer or not, the fact is that the buyer would be backing out sooner or later.

now, it is also true that their agent or your agent might want to exhaust their contacts and resources in the lending field.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:14 PM

820 posts, read 1,746,043 times
I don't know if I am the only one in the conversation that feels this way, but sir you are rather ignorant. I think before you do anymore ranting, maybe a bit of research into how the process works... or worse maybe trust the person who's job it is to sell your home to make good choices for you. I have no idea your story or who your REALTOR is other than this post, but from what you have stated so far, I am willing to bet you have not made this process easy.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:10 PM

I haven't done anything but give her and any other agents who want to see it access to my house, thank you very much.

Would YOU recommend jeopardizing a deal that's so hard to get over $5k? My sibling and I had (as I pointed out) agreed that we would accept any decent offer.

And then we didn't! Still kerfuffled over that one...

Old 09-08-2015, 04:16 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,479,394 times
Not even pre approved buyer? Bad agent!

Old 09-08-2015, 05:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,356,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Would YOU recommend jeopardizing a deal that's so hard to get over $5k? My sibling and I had (as I pointed out) agreed that we would accept any decent offer.
Agents don't (or at least shouldn't) be making the decision about how to deal with an offer. You and your sibling had every right (and probably the opportunity) to set whatever price and terms you were comfortable with.

You could probably still go back to the original offer and take it as is.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:59 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,284,752 times
now you're just going to be confusing her.

the buyer's agent never got the buyer pre-qualified (sufficiently). It has been discovered that they don't have the funds for an FHA down payment.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:06 AM

UPDATE: A proposal from the "buyer," who is also our lawn-care guy and was going to be our general handyman before all this came up. He also works a day job. Apparently, he's been eyeing our house while mowing and likes it. He was also perhaps the only one, for a while, who was aware that the large side lot actually goes with the house despite the confusing ad since, you know, he mows it all together.

He proposes that he perform work for us to earn the down payment; his realtor tells him this would be perfectly legal. Of course, that's a lot of odd jobs (I assume it has to fly?), but your impression of this? Again, to qualify for an FHA loan. He could actually fix everything he would otherwise ask us to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals