Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 06:52 AM

10,997 posts, read 22,042,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The most effective technology in any sales position is not a technology at all:

Face to face interaction.

Get off your butt in front of the computer screen and get out there and find buyers and sellers.
Ha, I've sold many homes the last 5 years where I never met my client in person. But the sentiment is correct. You need to meet people somehow, whether it's online or in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 07:25 AM

43,431 posts, read 77,376,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

Go to as many classes as you can and learn learn learn. Know your papwerwork.
Yes and Yes.

And, when a representative of your licensing board, real estate commission, whatever, or a real estate attorney is speaking at an open event.... GO. Listen.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:01 AM

11,845 posts, read 34,505,072 times
Master contracts. Master your MLS system. Master how to show a house. Fwiw, “here is the kitchen” is not how you show a house.

Where are you going to practice?

Old 12-07-2021, 08:42 AM

36 posts, read 47,361 times
Quote:
Your phone is basically a tablet now. Good phone with a good camera and a laptop are essential. I'd recommend avoiding the Macbook as they sometimes have compatibality issues with other brands. Windows is more versatile. I'm currently writing this on my Lenovo Thinkpad which has been very good, as were the Asus and Acer brands I've also had in the past. My office manager has a Dell. Any of them that you find a good deal on will work fine.

I have a portable charger that I keep in my car. I invested in a good one that has 96 hours of charge so I can leave it in my car for usually about 10-14 days or so before I need to charge it. Quite convenient.

Learn either docusign or dotloop well. If you have a choice, I recommend docusign.
Apps: Google Calendar (essential for your schedule), homesnap, showing time, and my calculator

Create profiles on websites like Zillow, Realtor.com

Thank you Brandon, I appreciate your thoughts on this. My agency uses dotloop and they are extremely tech-oriented.

To others, while I completely understand and agree with “get off your butt and get out there”, the inescapable fact remains that technology has become part of the fabric of our daily business lives in 2021. Don’t misunderstand, I fully intend to pursue a face-to-face business philosophy, it’s one of my personal strengths. But there is a technology component to this business and I was simply wondering how some of you who have been in the industry like to approach this subject.

Thank you all for the replies.

Last edited by Koby; 12-07-2021 at 09:20 AM..

Old 12-07-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Master contracts. Master your MLS system. Master how to show a house. Fwiw, “here is the kitchen” is not how you show a house.

Thanks for the reply 2bindenver. I am located in Massachusetts.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:34 AM

1,507 posts, read 815,901 times
I would recommend a MacBook Pro. You can do anything you want to do and it's compatible with everything on the web. It also will last you several years longer than most windows computers.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
I would recommend a MacBook Pro. You can do anything you want to do and it's compatible with everything on the web. It also will last you several years longer than most windows computers.
Thank you Deuce!

Old 12-07-2021, 01:06 PM

40,990 posts, read 49,352,281 times
The Technology is about the same it was 10 years ago - a phone, a laptop, a desktop and a scanner printer. I use all these.

What's more updated is the Software you'll be using from Zipforms, Skyslope, Doccusign, Showing Time, your MLS, Supra and so much more your office might use. Your software is always being changed and updated.

Old 12-07-2021, 01:53 PM

10,997 posts, read 22,042,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
I don't know if you're an agent or not, but Macbook has conflicts with some of the 3rd party apps and software we use. That's I specifically avoid Apple products. I used to be an iPhone and iPad owner. I switched years ago to android products and they've been better about compatibility with the 3rd party companies. I'm not saying Apple is bad, but they do push you to use other Apple products and platforms.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:31 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,080,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Exactly. The success or failure in this business depends on how many potential buyers you know and how many people trust you, not on what kind of phone or computer you use.
Success in this business is dependent upon 3 things:

1. Leads
2. Listings
3. Leverage

All sales start out as a lead. If you don't have leads then you will not be doing any business. Listings are the best kind of business because they have the potential to beget other "now" business whereas working with buyers can only earn you additional business down the road. Leverage allows you to do more. Leverage can be people or it can be systems or it can be technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You gotta have a laptop or desktop. It is a must.
FACT:
People who claim to "do everything on their phone," don't do "everything."
I agree. A laptop is the best way to go as it's portable. Sometimes I meet people in a coffee shop or at their home and so portability is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The most effective technology in any sales position is not a technology at all:

Face to face interaction.

Get off your butt in front of the computer screen and get out there and find buyers and sellers.
Personal interactions are without a doubt the most powerful type of interactions. There is no subtitute and they should be a part of your "touch" plan for your SOI.

Quote:
Your phone is basically a tablet now. Good phone with a good camera and a laptop are essential. I'd recommend avoiding the Macbook as they sometimes have compatibality issues with other brands. Windows is more versatile. I'm currently writing this on my Lenovo Thinkpad which has been very good, as were the Asus and Acer brands I've also had in the past. My office manager has a Dell. Any of them that you find a good deal on will work fine.

I have a portable charger that I keep in my car. I invested in a good one that has 96 hours of charge so I can leave it in my car for usually about 10-14 days or so before I need to charge it. Quite convenient.

Learn either docusign or dotloop well. If you have a choice, I recommend docusign.
Apps: Google Calendar (essential for your schedule), homesnap, showing time, and my calculator

Create profiles on websites like Zillow, Realtor.com

I have a Macbook Air. I switched from a Microsoft Surface Pro a couple years back and I've never had a single issue with compatibility with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes and Yes.

And, when a representative of your licensing board, real estate commission, whatever, or a real estate attorney is speaking at an open event.... GO. Listen.
Being a student of the industry and having a mindset that you need to constantly be learning will serve you well in any career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

I like to call that "Realtor speak." It's basically highlighting the obvious like "this is the kitchen,"this is the living room," etc. Learn about houses so that you can speak to things that people actually want to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Thanks for the reply 2bindenver. I am located in Massachusetts.
Where in MA are you?

Quote:
I don't know if you're an agent or not, but Macbook has conflicts with some of the 3rd party apps and software we use. That's I specifically avoid Apple products. I used to be an iPhone and iPad owner. I switched years ago to android products and they've been better about compatibility with the 3rd party companies. I'm not saying Apple is bad, but they do push you to use other Apple products and platforms.
I've done both Andriod and iOS and I've done both Mac and Windows. I can't think of a single compatibility issue I've experienced in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals