Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 07:45 PM

36 posts, read 47,217 times

Advertisements

New agent here. I realize technology is going to be an important component as a real estate agent and I’m wondering how some of you work. I’m an iPhone user and I’m not sure if I should buy a desktop or would an iPad be a better purchase? Or maybe a MacBook would be the best? I appreciate any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 08:29 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,062,038 times
I don't really use an iPad a lot in my business. I do own one, but it mostly sits on my desk. Typically I'm using my phone and my laptop. I have a docking station on my desk so I can use a larger monitor/keyboard when I'm in my office. It doesn't really matter if you use Apple or Windows. If you already have an iPhone then I would get a MacBook. iPhones just play so much nicer with other Apple products.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:43 PM

640 posts, read 452,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I don't really use an iPad a lot in my business. I do own one, but it mostly sits on my desk. Typically I'm using my phone and my laptop. I have a docking station on my desk so I can use a larger monitor/keyboard when I'm in my office. It doesn't really matter if you use Apple or Windows. If you already have an iPhone then I would get a MacBook. iPhones just play so much nicer with other Apple products.
Exactly. The success or failure in this business depends on how many potential buyers you know and how many people trust you, not on what kind of phone or computer you use.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Thanks for your thoughts Mike, appreciate it

Old 12-06-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Exactly. The success or failure in this business depends on how many potential buyers you know and how many people trust you, not on what kind of phone or computer you use.
Very helpful. Thank you.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:26 AM

43,372 posts, read 77,281,824 times
You gotta have a laptop or desktop. It is a must.
FACT:
People who claim to "do everything on their phone," don't do "everything."

And, you must have tech to back up all emails and all texts, not to mention you should have notes of all phone conversations. You should back up phone calls too, to the extent of having a running record of when calls were made.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You gotta have a laptop or desktop. It is a must.
FACT:
People who claim to "do everything on their phone," don't do "everything."

And, you must have tech to back up all emails and all texts, not to mention you should have notes of all phone conversations. You should back up phone calls too, to the extent of having a running record of when calls were made.
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the reply. I have quickly realized my iPhone is good for some basic tasks but I’ll need a better work platform.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:37 AM

4,603 posts, read 2,736,246 times
The most effective technology in any sales position is not a technology at all:

Face to face interaction.

Get off your butt in front of the computer screen and get out there and find buyers and sellers.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:43 AM

43,372 posts, read 77,281,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The most effective technology in any sales position is not a technology at all:

Face to face interaction.

Get off your butt in front of the computer screen and get out there and find buyers and sellers.
Balance.
The people you meet will want you to be technically capable.
And, I have sold properties for sellers I have never met. Technology in real estate brokerage cannot be so easily dismissed when it is used to make so many thing happen.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:51 AM

10,986 posts, read 22,019,584 times
Your phone is basically a tablet now. Good phone with a good camera and a laptop are essential. I'd recommend avoiding the Macbook as they sometimes have compatibality issues with other brands. Windows is more versatile. I'm currently writing this on my Lenovo Thinkpad which has been very good, as were the Asus and Acer brands I've also had in the past. My office manager has a Dell. Any of them that you find a good deal on will work fine.

I have a portable charger that I keep in my car. I invested in a good one that has 96 hours of charge so I can leave it in my car for usually about 10-14 days or so before I need to charge it. Quite convenient.

Learn either docusign or dotloop well. If you have a choice, I recommend docusign.
Apps: Google Calendar (essential for your schedule), homesnap, showing time, and my calculator

Create profiles on websites like Zillow, Realtor.com

Go to as many classes as you can and learn learn learn. Know your papwerwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals