Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 10:06 AM

14,517 posts, read 20,746,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Ask your agent who said it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPRFmama View Post
Most homes that have been done have been flipped - think cosmetic lipstick on a pig type stuff, and a lot of the time they don’t even care about the aesthetic of the house. Renovators / rehabber are the ones who will take the time and money to redo the guts of the home and hold their work to a high standard.
We were headed out of the back yard and a guy had arrived at the front. My agent asked if they were an agent. No they were interested in buying and they mentioned that they were a renovator and not a flipper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 02:38 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,535,993 times
Seller doesnt care who buys house. Buyers agent should, so they can calculate in rental market/cap rate after purchase, reno costs if flip and rate of return.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:56 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,503,224 times
I would think a retail buyer will always pay more than a flipper or renovator or some other type of investor. Investors normally need some kind of profit/overhead built in. Retail buyers will pay more to make their family happy.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
I would think a retail buyer will always pay more than a flipper or renovator or some other type of investor. Investors normally need some kind of profit/overhead built in. Retail buyers will pay more to make their family happy.
We're looking in a lower price range and our offer on one property was matched (and accepted) by someone else who offered same as us. Another we offered but not high enough. Cash buyers are our competition and see no way around it.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:19 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,071,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Important reminder! It is the SELLER who hires the seller's agent to sell the property, usually directing them to do this quickly and to get the best price.

These agendas are not in conflict!
THANK YOU! I think Jack wins the prize for most ridiculous on C-D in 2021. Here's the translation of what he said if anyone didn't understand . . .

Real estate agents are BAD!!! They will work hard to help their client meet their goals!!! Bad agents!!! BAD!!! You should hire an attorney to represent you instead because they know how to read/write contracts but have no knowledge of market conditions, how to market a house successfully, why contracts say what they do, may or may not have any experience with negotiations, likely know little to nothing about how a house is constructed, have no knowledge of staging, and have no connections with tradespeople who could assist with the sale like photographers, videographers, Matterport creators, plumbers, electricians, painters, inspectors, etc.

As always, a fantastic and well reasoned anti-agent post by Jack. In fact, I would say most of the anit-agent posts that are written here read similarly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
I'm finding in my market area that retail buyers are often offering less than flippers. The retail buyers are still factoring in the cost of the renovations much like the flippers. The cost of renovation for them essentially includes the profit the general contractor is looking to make. Plus, the cost of materials is usually higher for the retail buyer because they're installing higher quality finishes in the house compared to the flipper.

I had something happen to me years ago that really illustrates what I'm talking about. I had a client who was buying a $2M house (probably in today's market this would have cost $3-$4M) and they asked the builder if they could pick the kitchen faucet. He said "fine" and he said he would give them a credit toward whatever faucet they wanted in the amount that he was going to spend on the faucet he was planning on installing. They got a $600 credit and were AGHAST. "How could anyone install a $600 faucet in a $2M house???" they asked me. Had the faucet been installed and no one asked how much it cost, I have no doubt that 99.9% of interested buyers would have been 100% satisfied with the $600 faucet. My clients ended up installing a $1500 Waterstone faucet which to me seemed a bit overkill for money spent on a faucet but . . . to each their own.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:03 PM

11,845 posts, read 34,492,944 times
Well said Mike.

I have investors offering up to 70% of after repaired value for properties.

There is a new thing called wholetailing, where an investor does some updating and resells to an investor to finish the rehab.

There are many groups of wholesalers selling to each other off market.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Well said Mike.
I have investors offering up to 70% of after repaired value for properties.
Did you mean 70% off?

Old 12-29-2021, 01:51 PM

11,845 posts, read 34,492,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Did you mean 70% off?
no, 30% off the ARV.

For example:

After repair value = $100,000
Buy price = $70,000

Old 12-30-2021, 07:24 AM

1,085 posts, read 698,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We're looking in a lower price range and our offer on one property was matched (and accepted) by someone else who offered same as us. Another we offered but not high enough. Cash buyers are our competition and see no way around it.
After multiple threads around this property search you’ve had going for months and months, it’s pretty safe to say that you’re simply underbidding on these properties, or you have an unrealistic view of what they’re worth/what your money can get.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
After multiple threads around this property search you’ve had going for months and months, it’s pretty safe to say that you’re simply underbidding on these properties, or you have an unrealistic view of what they’re worth/what your money can get.
Fine line on underbidding. On a rental I offered 102 and the asking was 95.
Was that underbidding?

Out of all the offers they had mine was the highest.

But they sold to someone else at 102 and I believe I was the single high offer and it sold to a cash buyer wiling to match my offer. Lack of success is due to the competition. Cash buyers is one category of competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals