Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 10:36 AM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times

Advertisements

We viewed a property for sale right at our limit price. Upon exiting here comes another interested buyer and my agent and I chatted with them. During the conversation he mentioned three groups of buyers.
1. renovator
2. flipper
3. I didn't catch the other one

With all your experiences what is the difference between a renovator and a flipper?
(the guy implied he was not looking for a rental but whether that is accurate not sure)

This looker gave me the impression, maybe wrongly, that I could not out offer them. We lost a nice one back in the summer to another offer that was the same amount as our offer.
Can a seller agent influence which buyer gets the house leaving me and my buyer agent left out "IF" the owner of the house doesn't really care whether it's a cash offer or a conventional loan? If so then we may never get one in our price range due to the "competition" we are trying to out bid (offer)

From our agent we got "what do you think" after under 20 minutes in the house. They may not do multiple viewings.

Thanks.

Last edited by howard555; 12-16-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 11:24 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
what's the actual question again?

and if I recall - you're buying a rental property, right?

Old 12-16-2021, 03:28 PM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
what's the actual question again?
If you are an agent maybe you have represented quite a few buyers and you can share your opinions from experiences on the difference between a renovator and a flipper.

Old 12-16-2021, 03:31 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If you are an agent maybe you have represented quite a few buyers and you can share your opinions from experiences on the difference between a renovator and a flipper.
Dunno. Maybe the renovator plans to fix up and rent the house vs. the flipper who's reslling? Ask your agent who said it.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:14 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Tomato Tomato. I imagine he's trying to make some kind of distinction between the kinds of people who buy fixer-uppers. Might be about whether it's an owner/occupant or a resale investment.... or maybe just judging the size of the checkbook. There's no firm definition on this Howard, the only person who can really say for sure what he means is the agent who said it.

Yes, the seller's agent can have influence with the seller if he/she has an opinion about which offer is stronger/better.... assuming the seller cares what his agent thinks.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:00 PM

6,822 posts, read 11,553,688 times
I wouldn’t being talking to other potential buyers when looking at a property for sale.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:05 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:

Can a seller agent influence which buyer gets the house leaving me and my buyer agent left out "IF" the owner of the house doesn't really care whether it's a cash offer or a conventional loan? If so then we may never get one in our price range due to the "competition" we are trying to out bid (offer)
Huh? What owner doesn't really care if the offer is cash or a loan? Cash is king.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:08 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
Quote:
The seller's agent will do and say anything to get the property sold quickly at the best price, including influencing the seller in ways that further the agent's agenda.

As for talking to other buyers that you meet at the property, don't believe anything they say. They are just trying to psych you out so you'll go away and leave them with the best shot at buying the property.

You've been at this long enough. If you want the house, make your offer. If you miss that one, like the crosstown bus, there'll be another one along any minute.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:37 AM

249 posts, read 237,400 times
Most homes that have been done have been flipped - think cosmetic lipstick on a pig type stuff, and a lot of the time they don’t even care about the aesthetic of the house. Renovators / rehabber are the ones who will take the time and money to redo the guts of the home and hold their work to a high standard.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:02 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
The seller's agent will do and say anything to get the property sold quickly at the best price, including influencing the seller in ways that further the agent's agenda.
Important reminder! It is the SELLER who hires the seller's agent to sell the property, usually directing them to do this quickly and to get the best price.

These agendas are not in conflict!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals