Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:43 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
With this new development we may need 10 mods on the Florida forum-

s.
rofl
so true so true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 09:13 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
I'm please to see this. It's something administrator and I discussed perhaps 6 months ago, or so. It's similar to a cruise ship forum In which I participate, in which travel agents are not permitted to advertise or solicit, but they are required to identify themselves as an agent.

It serves two great purposes. For those who are paranoid about agents, it gives them an opportunity to avoid them. But, I was able to identify and choose a really helpful travel agent on that other site, and I would hope to do the same with real estate agents, here.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
Quote:
I hope we dont get inundated with realtors now--------

sunny
I have nothing against them,it is their job but you don't want to feel like prey either...lol
Like car salesmen don't hover over me licking your chops.I'll come get you when and if I am interested.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:29 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
Here's a question that just popped into my mind. Forgive me if it has already been discussed. How do you "verify" someone here at the web site to be a licensed real estate broker? What would prohibit a person from claiming to be a broker, posting as a broker, but actually not.
Bill

Old 05-14-2007, 08:06 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
http://www.arello.com/

ARELLO is the Association of Real Estate License Law Officials, comprising the official governmental agencies and other organizations around the world that issue real estate licenses/registrations in addition to regulating real estate practice and enforcing real estate law.

There are penalties for practicing real estate without a license. Contact your state Dept. of Real Estate (DRE) or Real Estate Commission (REC) asap.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Here's a question that just popped into my mind. Forgive me if it has already been discussed. How do you "verify" someone here at the web site to be a licensed real estate broker? What would prohibit a person from claiming to be a broker, posting as a broker, but actually not.
Bill
As long as that person does not actually act as an agent, no harm is done.

No one should accept without question anything that anyone says on a web site, including this statement.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:15 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
What would prohibit a person from claiming to be a broker, posting as a broker, but actually not.
Hi Bill -

Did you mean that someone would say they're an agent as an online hoax? Does that happen often?

I guess I'm more worried about the reverse - someone who is an agent not revealing it & giving me trumped up info about a particular house/area in their sales terriory.

And, whomever mentioned RE banners - Yikes! NO! Enough! I see more online advertising than I desire & didn't solicit including pop-ups that got through my blocker software. What's next? Hair salon adverts? "Hey, I'm the best comptroller" banners! "Let me do your taxes" accountant banners! No, please stop! If so desired, place your title underneath your name & if I want an Accountant/Agent/Mime/Podiatrist, I can then contact you with a PM. I've visited enough "fake" sites that promise to give me info about a particular subject & after 6 mouse clicks find it's nothing but adverts & requests for my email address prior to revealing the tasty info I was promised. Type in email, oops, still can't get to it without registering with a phone # & address. A banner doesn't speak for professionalism, success or knowledge. It only speaks to someone who has the $ to advertise.

If the site goes the advertising route, I hope there will just be an Advertising section, so I can choose to click on it, become a supporter with my own banner if I so choose, or ignore it.

Have fun... VV

Last edited by Baltic_Celt; 05-14-2007 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 05-15-2007, 05:36 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Uh oh !!!!!
You just know that everyone is now going to want a icon next to their name.
I can just see the mods pm box filling up with "well you did it for Realtors can you do one for us"

karla
yep, i want a tinkerbell next to my name

Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 PM

179 posts, read 784,087 times
I have to agree with Kittenspurr, no RE banners. It's a bit much.

Also, Bill, I can understand your concern. If you are interested in RE, most agents have websites. Use a PM to get their web address. Once there, you will have their full name. Then, go to the state real estate commission or dept. of real estate and do a name search. That doesn't mean that they are harmless but at least they have a license. How do you know the person is the same as the person on this forum - I would strongly suggest calling the office number listed in the state REC/DRE database. For the initial contact, personally, I would avoid the cell phone or any personal telephone number.

As a realtor, I have a concern about REA's thinking they are meeting Mr. or Ms. Seller only to find out they are meeting some whack-a-do. Yes, it happens even without forums. (Maybe I'm a bit tired because my cell phone was ringing at 5:00AM - a call from a buyer - I know his number - I surely hope he phoned me in error - no message and I don't return calls without a message). So, with this little house icon, have we identified ourself as a person who may be more likely to meet a stranger? Just a thought and I may need a nap or a cup of coffee.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I'll add this, for the most part the rest of the world does not know, care or understand the difference between a realtor/broker etc. If we choose to use a company to sell our homes we're going to look for a "realtor", not a broker or whatever else they're called.

Again, be thankful that the administrator went above and beyond to help your group out here on CD. Let's hear some applause for the Admin!! wooohoooo. I SAID---woooohooooooo. Can I get an Amen? Oh, yeah, not the religion forum...
Thx Admin
I will give you a HOO-RAH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals