Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,204,524 times

Advertisements

rib-eye steaks, sirloin strip, t-bone, and porterhouse, are my favs to grill, or course they are the most expensive steaks- tenderloin (filet mignon is good, but i think it lacks the flavor of a rib-eye (for the money)
a few tips- before cooking steaks, bring to room temperature- don't overcook steak, you can buy a 22$ lb prime rib eye, overcook it, and it tastes like a $3lb chuck steak-also like one fella said above, let your steak age in the fridge- red meat fades away (unlike pork or chicken that dies after 4-5 days)
a fresh cut steak is good for 12 days, just discolors after 3-4

prime beef is of course the best- however its very pricey- certified angus -is usually, a high grade of choice, and then thier is select- a value grade, but it still can be very good

there are different cuts that can be very good- bottom sirloin flap meat for loin tips (very tender)
a small muscle off the chuck called the shoulder tender or terras major steaks (excellent)

also the chuck-eye or chuck delmonico steaks, these connect to the rib-eye, but are on a chuck roll- these are tender and very flavorfull

the beef packing plant has much to do with quality- IBP is the largest and one of the best in the country- high standards

beware of locally grass fed beef- most beef we are use to is grain finished- grass fed beef has a grassy flavor (almost a gamey flavor as in venison)

also im not a big fan of organic beef-sounds good, but the cattle arent as healthy (ironically) the inoculations non organic cattle get is to fend off sickness and disease, just like us getting a flu-shot,

remeber rule number one- dont overcook your steaks!!
if you want a great tasting tender steak-then buy a rib-eye or porterhouse steak

chuck and round - (chuck is the forequarter) and round is the hindquarter) are working muscles, thats why they can be tough
if you do buy a chuck or round steak- just slice it thin after cooking- wont be so tough

the upside to a chuck or round seak, is that they are very lean- so if you are on a low fat diet-these are good steaks to buy

a good, fairly inexpensive steak is from the top-butt- called a boneless sirloin steak(not sirloin strip steak) these are often on sale in the stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I'm well aware of that, although Outback is now in Australia in the Sydney area with pretty much the same menu so we'll see what aussies think about it.

I don't know if Lone Star of New Zealand is the same as the one in Australia, but it is hilarious going into one in NZ and it's like Outback, it's a theme restaurant with all the crap on the walls and the silly menu names. Unfortunately for Lone Star the food bares little resemblance of what you might find in Texas. Kiwis don't like spicy food, so real Texas food would probably put people on the floor.

In any case, I like Outback. Bloomin Onions have a restorative effect after long days of work. I do usually have one of my V8 Supercar or NRL or AFL shirts on when I pay a visit and no one is the wiser.

Hahahhaha - I must admit during my visit to Texas, after I had the Bloomin' Onion I went to Wallyworld and got a blooming onion maker to take back home LOL

They were a big hit at potlucks etc but no-one knew they were supposedly an Aussie thing.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,959 times
Rib-eye steaks are the easiest to make and they are terrific.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:50 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I'd aim higher for Texas Roadhouse steak for instance... Best I've had in years. Just got a new Texas Longhorn steakhouse anxious to try them. I think some of these such as Golden Corral use cheap cuts of meat. They may marinade in a vinegar solution before hand.
Sorry, I confused Outback with AppleBee's. I really hate Applebee's marinated steaks. Outback may be better but much pricier.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,854,815 times
Loved the Bloomin Onion but always felt guilty when I thought of the calories and cholesterol in it. LOL I live in West TX and I personally think our local Steakhouses beat the chains that we have eaten at here or other cities.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Outback is just so-so. Now Ruth Chris is another story and much of it the meat quality. Its not really hard to do a steak over grill and many site to advise you no doing it. The quality of the D beef tho can make all the difference.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Loved the Bloomin Onion but always felt guilty when I thought of the calories and cholesterol in it...
The amount of cholesterol isn't bad - 22mg per serving and 132mg of cholesterol if you eat the entire Bloomin' Onion. That's less than the amount of cholesterol in one egg.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:53 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
I think a good steak is more in how it's cooked than anything. The meat quality is important, but done correctly a mediocre piece of meat can be made to taste good.

Here's what I do:

Ribye, T-bone, NY Strip (about 1 - 2" thick):

Bring the meat up to room temperature
Rub with olive oil, then season with coarse ground salt and pepper and a dash of garlic powder. (If the meat is a cut with little flavor, I'll use gunpowder seasoning as well)
I set my grill up with two zones... I throw it over direct heat at around 500-550 degrees for 3 minutes per side, rotating at 1.5 minutes to create the cross marks.
Pull it over to indirect heat (~350 degrees) and baste with butter.
I pull mine at exactly 160 degrees and let it rest for about 10 minutes (it will continue to heat up to 165, which is how we like our steaks at medium).

We've had VERY few that you couldn't cut with a butter knife this way.

We don't go to steakhouses any more because we figured out that we can get a much better steak at home cheaper.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:57 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
........a website does say pepperberry is a part of it. I looked online and finding pepperberry is a hell of a task and I am about 99.8% sure the local stores won't have it. .....
Try searching for pepper corns, instead. All it means is that they are using whole pepper corns and grinding them just before using. The flavor is much better that way,

Probably they are using black pepper corns because the white, green, and pink pepper corns cost a lot more.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:59 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Sorry, I confused Outback with AppleBee's. I really hate Applebee's marinated steaks. Outback may be better but much pricier.
And it only took five years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes