Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 03:37 AM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Thanks everyone! Turkey always tastes dry to me no matter how it is cooked or who cooks it.
I despise it. To me, without all the adds on, brine injections, stuffings and gravy - it's a dry and tasteless meat. Like a cardboard.

Way to overrated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 10:57 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
I have made pheasant in the oven, as it is a dry bird, needs lots of butter, it has it's own taste so just pepper and sea salt. Few times legs or breasts of pheasant oven baked.

Goose is very greasy same as duck.
My german cookbook mention a roasting rack inside the roasting tin so the bird does not sit in the fat but it is higher up to roast crispy.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...roast_a_goose/

Old 11-18-2022, 11:21 AM

Still is well worth to eat at least once a year.

Compared with a steak
Calories:
Goose meat has 161 kcal per 100g and steak 271 kcal per 100g so it is pretty easy to calculate that the difference is about 68%.

Fat:
steak 167% more than goose meat
Additionally, it is also easy to notice that most of the calories in goose meat cames from protein and in steak from fat.

https://calories-info.com/goose-vs-steak/

Each time, while you are taking it out to prick the skin even more and turn the bird to the other side, you can remove some of that fat to store.

https://www.ochef.com/difference-bet...ey-and-chicken

Last edited by elnina; 11-18-2022 at 11:33 AM..

Old 11-18-2022, 11:54 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Band the pheasant with bacon. Slow heat. Baste it.

Save the goose fat. It is worth its weight in gold in cooking.

You do not plan to roast them at the same time in the same oven, do you?

Old 11-18-2022, 12:14 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Roast goose is nice. It is fatty so a slow low roast to render some of the fat out. I am assuming a commercially raised goose and not a wild one, which would be a different cooking experience. I'm not going to dig out my goose recipe, but there must be dozens of goose recipes online.

Please not that a goose looks like a really big bird, but there doesn't seem to be a generous amount of meat on one. I enjoy duck, but have to say that goose is three times better than duck. I expect you to enjoy your goose.

Pheasant is best barely cooked. Out of the oven the second it gets past the pink stage. Pheasant is absolutely delicious. Don't over-cook. I put a quartered apple, and a chunk of onion into the cavity of a pheasant and roast. Baste so the skin browns.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:18 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Coming back to add, I use the rendered fat from roasting a duck to make duck fries which are arguably the very best french fries in the world.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with goose fat. i don't know why. Different melting temperature, maybe? Whatever reason, goose fries don't come out very good.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I want to try something new this year. I want to have a different bird on the table this year for the Thursday.

I purchased a 14 pound goose and will pick up the pheasant later on today.

How do I roast them? Is it similar to roasting a turkey or duck(which I am very familiar with)
IDK about goose, but pheasant you can bake in the oven for 45 minutes with sour cream. BEFORE you do that, though, you need to prep the bird by first rubbing salt on the bird inside and out, then braising it on all sides, turning it for about 10-15 minutes, Then leave it in the pot with its drippings, and add a large container of sour cream (you could even add part of a 2nd container). Baste with the sour cream a couple of times as it cooks, to keep it moist.

BTW, 1 pheasant will serve 2 people if it's all you have, but you're also serving goose, so you could provide small portions for about 4 people. They're small. Smaller than chickens.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:38 PM

Here how much meat you need per portion:
https://www.pheasantshillfarm.com/pa...-portion-guide

Whole goose is around 8-10lb

(Don't mind the price just the weight)

Last edited by elnina; 11-18-2022 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-18-2022, 05:25 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IDK about goose, but pheasant you can bake in the oven for 45 minutes with sour cream. BEFORE you do that, though, you need to prep the bird by first rubbing salt on the bird inside and out, then braising it on all sides, turning it for about 10-15 minutes, Then leave it in the pot with its drippings, and add a large container of sour cream (you could even add part of a 2nd container). Baste with the sour cream a couple of times as it cooks, to keep it moist.

BTW, 1 pheasant will serve 2 people if it's all you have, but you're also serving goose, so you could provide small portions for about 4 people. They're small. Smaller than chickens.
Have you cooked pheasant pot pie or is this off a Google search?

Old 11-18-2022, 05:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
A Czech woman once told me she usually put the goose over the other bird and lets its grease drip on the other bird,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes