Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 05:36 PM

720 posts, read 705,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I want to try something new this year. I want to have a different bird on the table this year for the Thursday.

I purchased a 14 pound goose and will pick up the pheasant later on today.

How do I roast them? Is it similar to roasting a turkey or duck(which I am very familiar with)
The Goose is about like a turkey except for the spices. A Pheasant needs to be brined for at least 2 hours. Roast at 225 to 250 basting often. Do not overcook Pheasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 06:57 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
I have made pheasant in the oven, as it is a dry bird, needs lots of butter, it has it's own taste so just pepper and sea salt.
I recently saw a recipe that used cheesecloth on top of the turkey breast to help keep it moist. You soak it in melted butter, then drape over the breast while cooking. I think you remove the cheesecloth for the last half hour or so of cooking.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:22 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
So goose does not need to be brined?

It a free range goose
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know how to roast a pheasant and a goose?-download-2-.jpeg  

Old 11-21-2022, 02:24 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Band the pheasant with bacon. Slow heat. Baste it.

Save the goose fat. It is worth its weight in gold in cooking.

You do not plan to roast them at the same time in the same oven, do you?
No,but I might roast them do just that. I might take the advice to let the fat from the goose drip down on the pheasant.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:14 AM

126,273 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

SAVE THE FAT!!!!!You don't want it in your gravy anyway. It's delicious, healthy (yes!!) and has many uses. It's already seasoned, but you can add to it roasted onions and garlic and dry marjoram.
Mix well, transfer to a jar, store in fridge.

Duck fat is a cooking staple in Europe and a secret ingredient of chefs worldwide. Incredibly tasty with a silky mouth-feel, duck fat enhances anything it touches. Absolutely fantastic as a bread spread, to fry your eggs on, or on your oven roasted potatoes. Plus many other uses.
Oh I remember mother always having duck fat and we spread it on home baked bread and added a sprinkle of salt on top...delicious
It was a staple in our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes