Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 12:09 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,857,524 times

Advertisements

I want to try something new this year. I want to have a different bird on the table this year for the Thursday.

I purchased a 14 pound goose and will pick up the pheasant later on today.

How do I roast them? Is it similar to roasting a turkey or duck(which I am very familiar with)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 08:10 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,540,851 times
I have never made it, but I ate it as a child instead of turkey, one thanksgiving.

My tastes were different then, but I thought it was good at the time - Pheasant Under Glass | Spectacularly Delicious

As for the goose and other pheasant recopies, I am almost positive that the Fannie Farmer cookbook has recipes for both.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:19 AM

45,484 posts, read 60,718,893 times
https://www.gundogmag.com/editorial/...recipes/459282

https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Blo...categoryid=369

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...roast_a_goose/

https://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterf...d-game-cooking

The first two links are for pheasants and other upland birds, the second two are for waterfowl.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:40 AM

3,284 posts, read 1,762,686 times
As far as roasting goes, I'd consider a bird is a bird and roast the goose as you would a small turkey as they are comparable in size. The pheasant I'd roast as I would a chicken. Both according to weight of bird @ temperature + time, which can vary. Anything else would be personal preference. Me? I'd put a few cut up apples in the pheasant and put cut up red onions inside the turkey. Opinions vary I'm sure.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:43 AM

45,484 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
As far as roasting goes, I'd consider a bird is a bird and roast the goose as you would a small turkey as they are comparable in size. The pheasant I'd roast as I would a chicken. Both according to weight of bird @ temperature + time, which can vary. Anything else would be personal preference. Me? I'd put a few cut up apples in the pheasant and put cut up red onions inside the turkey. Opinions vary I'm sure.
Keep in mind, though, the fat content. A goose with skin is going to be greasier than a commercial turkey. A pheasant is noted as not having a high fat content.

Now for full disclosure I do have to say that I've never cooked either a domestic goose or pheasant (meaning those bought at a store) but have done so with wild birds, which are the ones for the recipes I linked.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:44 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
I've never cooked goose or pheasant, but I had goose for a holiday dinner while visiting England. IIRC it was cooked similarly to this - and I enjoyed it:

https://www.seriouseats.com/roast-go...d-gravy-recipe

It's fatty - like duck. And I very much like duck, but I will not cook it in my oven, only on the rotisserie on our outside gas grill. Were I took cook goose, I'd be doing the same.

I've had pheasant in restaurants a couple of times. Pheasant has very little fat, so the end product ended up quite dry and bland - like a slightly overcooked chicken breast, but a bit gamier. It wouldn't be something I would choose again, but if it turned up on my plate, I'd eat it.

If I wanted another protein to go with a goose, I'd go with turkey breast or pork tenderloin. Probably the latter.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:23 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,403,282 times
I've had pheasant several different ways and smoked was by far the best.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:59 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,083,028 times
I've never cooked pheasant but I imagine it's like roasting a lean, skinny chicken. I've cooked lots of geese and ducks.

I want waterfowl to be self basting during roasting so the day before cooking I pierce the skin all over the bird to create lots of little holes that go through the fat under the skin then I brine the bird overnight. The next day after rinsing the brine off the bird I stuff it with my home-made stuffing and then into the oven it goes on a rack placed inside on the bottom of the roasting pan.

During roasting it will be self basting with rendered fat seeping out through the holes in the skin and making the skin brown and crispy. If the legs and wings don't have much fat on them I don't want them to dry out and shrink so I'll wrap them in aluminum foil for the first half time of roasting and remove the foil for the last half time of roasting so they can brown nicely.

During the cooking time it's important to occasionally spoon off or siphon off the excess hot rendered fat that has been dripping off the goose into the roasting pan. Set the rendered fat aside to use some for making gravy and for using to cook other things. Rendered goose fat is pure, clear, almost colorless liquid gold for the kitchen, important for a number of cooking and dietary health reasons as well as for cosmetic purposes.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:49 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,857,524 times
Thanks everyone! Turkey always tastes dry to me no matter how it is cooked or who cooks it.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:31 AM

61,875 posts, read 87,361,740 times
Goose is a holiday staple in my house and where I live.
You roast it similar to any other bird. Only seasonings and stuffing changes, although not that much.
Goose is a fatty bird and meat is very moist and tasty. Sadly, lots of people complain about fatty, rubbery skin, but that's just an effect of wrong cooking technique.
You don't want to eat the fat deposited directly under the skin. You should prefer the skin to be nicely thin and crispy. To achieve that:
Cut away excess fat and skin that hangs at both ends of the goose. Prick thoroughly with a sharp fork on both sides of the bird. Make sure to prick through the skin and subcutaneous fat only; do not prick the flesh of the goose.
Then pat the skin dry before seasoning. Leave it open on the counter or fridge to make the skin air dry.

I like my duck slow roasted, so I roast it on 250F for an hour and then prick the skin again on one side and turn it over, and prick thoroughly on the other side.
Continue to roast with the newly turned side up. Repeat this procedure every hour. That way most of the fat will be released to the roasting pan.
After 4 hours of roasting (all in 250F), prick and turn once again. Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

Now, if you want, you can glaze it with a honey/balsamic vinegar lemon mixture.(combine 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 balsamic vinegar with the freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon. Spread thinly over the roasted skin surface)
Be careful with roasting now, while the skin will now get nicely golden brown, the honey is quick to char. If you never did it before, glaze your duck just 10 minutes before end of roasting, to avoid charring. Or skip this step all together.

Continue roasting, pricking, and turning once for an additional 75 minutes to brown and crisp the skin.

When the goose is done, let it sit for 15 minutes before carving.
When the duck is fully cooked the internal temperature at the junction of the leg and thigh should be 170°F and thighs should come apart easily.

Instead of pricking, you can score the duck's skin on the breast side in a diamond pattern, making sure you only cut the skin, without reaching the meat. But i prefer the pricking method, because i want to render as much fat as possible.
Should you decide to score, here is how to do it:
https://juliasalbum.com/how-to-cook-duck/

I like my goose stuffed with Granny Smith kind of sour apples (it cuts the taste of fat),
few slices of lemon and orange for flavor, well seasoned with salt, pepper and marjoram. I garnish it with carrots, parsnip roots, celery roots, more orange, lemon slices, and apple wedges.

Duck meat goes really well with sweet and sour food pairings – think caramelised onions, balsamic reduction, orange sauce, hoisin, dried and fresh fruit. It likes warm spices such as cinnamon, pepper, Chinese five-spice powder, allspice, vanilla, and fennel.

You can serve it with oven roasted potatoes (sprinkled with duck fat!), duck fat fries, or other sides:
https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/what...h-duck-breast/

SAVE THE FAT!!!!!You don't want it in your gravy anyway. It's delicious, healthy (yes!!) and has many uses. It's already seasoned, but you can add to it roasted onions and garlic and dry marjoram.
Mix well, transfer to a jar, store in fridge.

Duck fat is a cooking staple in Europe and a secret ingredient of chefs worldwide. Incredibly tasty with a silky mouth-feel, duck fat enhances anything it touches. Absolutely fantastic as a bread spread, to fry your eggs on, or on your oven roasted potatoes. Plus many other uses.
https://pellehpoultry.com/rendered-duck-fat/

ENJOY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes