Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 02:30 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times

Advertisements

What do you all here, in your collected wisdom, think of using bread & butter pickles rather than sweet or dill pickles/relish?

Bread & butter pickles have a sweet but zesty flavor. I've never tried potato salad with them, not wanting to ruin a whole batch of potato salad, but wonder what others think of this recipe idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 02:50 AM

19,017 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Dr. J Evil's Salad of Potato
eggs
potatoes
celery
onion
sour cream
mayo
spices

In a pressure cooker, steam eggs (in a rack) and cubed potatoes (above, in another tray). When done, quickly lower temperature and open. Place the potato tray in the freezer (quick chill). Shell the eggs. Put aside in the refrigerator, for the moment.
. . .
Combine diced celery, diced onion, sour cream and mayo.
Retrieve chilled potatoes, and mix in. Add spices.

Finally, add the hard boiled eggs. I cheat and use an egg slicer. The slices are too fragile to endure mixing, hence I add them last. But you can cut your eggs as you wish.
. . .
Options : add shredded lettuce, when serving. Other ingredients : green olives, mild banana peppers, pickled cucumbers, sauerkraut.
. . .

Old 04-03-2024, 05:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
I attended Penn State University in the early 1980's. They served THE BEST potato salad and macaroni salad in the student cafeterias, IMO. It was so good that I used to sneak a Tupperware container in with me when it was being served so that I could smuggle a few servings back to my dorm room for snacks later. My girlfriend at the time worked in the cafeteria, so I had her write down the recipes for me. I still have those 3x5 index cards 40 years later. The recipes are sized for 140 servings!

The potato salad had many of the expected ingredients, but a couple of unusual ingredients as well:

potatoes
hard-boiled eggs
mayo
diced celery and onion
salt and pepper
pickle relish
French dressing
pimento

Old 04-03-2024, 05:08 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
I make my Dad's potato salad.
Boil potatoes with the skin on, let cool, then peel them. His secret: drizzle the cooled potatoes with red wine vinegar, then chill, preferably overnight.
The rest is the usual: mayo (Hellmans real mayo), celery, finely chopped red onion, sometimes some really finely chopped carrot, too. I slice boiled egg and lay on top. What elevated it to a new level was when a coworker asked me if I ever tried adding some bacon, and I gotta be honest = that it. So yummy!!!

PS. Salt and pepper to taste.

Old 04-03-2024, 05:56 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
What do you all here, in your collected wisdom, think of using bread & butter pickles rather than sweet or dill pickles/relish?

Bread & butter pickles have a sweet but zesty flavor. I've never tried potato salad with them, not wanting to ruin a whole batch of potato salad, but wonder what others think of this recipe idea?
I think it would be good -- but then, I am a devotee of B&B pickles.

To me, potato salad should be a mouthful of bold flavors -- mustard, dill, onion, stuffed green olives.
Bland potato salad is just mashed potatoes wearing a disguise.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:29 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Bread & butter pickles have a sweet but zesty flavor.

Me personally, I don't like any relish. If someone brings potato salad with relish to a potluck, I won't even try it. I've had enough over the years in many different ways and I just know I don't like it.

For that matter, I can't understand any recipe that calls for sugar in a savory dish, and I omit it every time. Sugar is for dessert, not the main and sides. That goes for barbecue sauce as well.

The only time I have swung that way is for my best friend's husband, where I make him apple pie baked beans. I don't add sugar, but I'm sure the apple pie filling and root beer is sugary. I've never actually tried it myself. I have adjusted the recipe over the years based on his feedback. The last time I made it he said it was so good he wanted ice cream with it!

Old 04-03-2024, 08:45 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Me personally, I don't like any relish. If someone brings potato salad with relish to a potluck, I won't even try it. I've had enough over the years in many different ways and I just know I don't like it.

For that matter, I can't understand any recipe that calls for sugar in a savory dish, and I omit it every time. Sugar is for dessert, not the main and sides. That goes for barbecue sauce as well.

The only time I have swung that way is for my best friend's husband, where I make him apple pie baked beans. I don't add sugar, but I'm sure the apple pie filling and root beer is sugary. I've never actually tried it myself. I have adjusted the recipe over the years based on his feedback. The last time I made it he said it was so good he wanted ice cream with it!
Generally speaking, I agree. I had friends growing up that put sugar on sliced tomatoes, cottage cheese and several cooked vegetables such as green beans.
Now I now people who put it in cornbread, cooked greens, spaghetti sauce and who knows what all else.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:47 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I did, too, until Walmart permanently traumatized me. I am fond of Duke's, but can't always get it here.
Yeah. I think there's been a change in my old standby, Miracle Whip. Tastes like they might be using a different oil. It leaves a bad aftertaste. I've started buying mayo and just upping the acidic content a little.

Sometimes I make my own in the blender which is easy-peasy and very fresh tasting. There is also the old-fashioned boiled dressing with eggs, evaporated milk, seasonings and butter which is very rich and tasty.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:56 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
old-fashioned boiled dressing with eggs, evaporated milk, seasonings and butter
Care to share a more detailed recipe? Evaporated milk can be used as a substitute for heavy cream...

Old 04-03-2024, 02:19 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
A pinch of sugar can enhance the flavor of tomato sauces and reduce the bitterness of some vegetables, including green beans, with out adding sweetness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes