Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 11:08 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

This morning I made potato salad to tonight's dinner. Whenever my son's friend comes to dinner, he requests my potato salad, which I think is odd because it is pretty much ordinary potato salad. The only thing I can figure is that he doesn't cook, so probably the only potato salad he gets is at restaurants, where they are conscientious about costs.

I cook the potatoes and hard boiled eggs the night before, and make the salad in the morning so the mayonnaise has time to soak in. All it is is:

Best Foods mayonnaise
Salt (I use seasons salt)
Pepper (freshly ground)

cubes of cooked potatoes
Finely diced onions
Hard cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
sweet pickles, cubed

I am generous with the sweet pickles and only buy the good ones: Vlasic or Mt Olive. I'm also generous with the hard cooked eggs.

Sometimes I put a couple of drops of Tapatio hot sauce in the dressing. Sometimes I put in little rings of green onion because that looks nice.

Occasionally, I have to add a bit more mayonnaise before serving if too much of the mayo has soaked int the potatoes.

The friend isn't coming to dinner tonight, but I might have to send a container of potato salad for him to work in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 11:18 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
I add mustard, relish and blue cheese dressing in addition to your basic recipe.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:02 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
All it is is:

Best Foods mayonnaise
Salt (I use seasons salt)
Pepper (freshly ground)

cubes of cooked potatoes
Finely diced onions
Hard cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
sweet pickles, cubed
I remember going into a BBQ place and being disappointed to discover their potato salad was mayo based. I'm sure it (and the recipe above) are good - I just prefer a mustard based one.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:19 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I remember going into a BBQ place and being disappointed to discover their potato salad was mayo based. ..........
I also have a potto salad recipe that has an oil and vinegar dressing and that one is also really good.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:27 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Years ago, I made a recipe from Southern Living magazine, which was potato salad with Kraft Mayo and a splash of rice vinegar. Basically, I’ve always liked that flavor, so I still make it like that. I add the usual suspects…celery, salt, pepper onion, and perhaps Beau Monde or celery salt.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:42 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Whenever my son's friend comes to dinner, he requests my potato salad

I personally think it's the boiled eggs (yolks and all) and onion. My ex-MIL made potato salad that was more creamed than cubed and she would make two bowls so I could take a whole one home. I'd sit in front of the TV and eat it. She did not add relish, but used a little brown mustard and chopped celery. Still haven't had any better and it's been easily 25 years since I last had it. I did pick up some "Deviled Egg Potato Salad" I saw at a new deli. I haven't tried it yet but I hope it's close.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
That sounds familiar, for picnics people always ask me to bring my potato salad. Looking at your ingredients, the only differences are that I include some chopped celery and parsley, a drizzle of apple cider vinegar, and a splash of mustard. I also boil the eggs and cook the potatoes the night before and mix it up the next morning.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Mine is even simpler: Eggs are optional, if included, added for the last 11 - 12 minutes and removed. the yolks mixed with the mayo (to which I add Mrs Dash and a tad of mustard); Once thoroughly cooled the potatoes get cut up, add green onions, green pepper (finely diced) and then add Mazola + white vinegar. S & P to taste. And let that set overnight. The last thing I add is the mayo mixture next morning.

Pickle juice (especially sweet pickles) NEVER! (ruins it, yuck)

Old 04-01-2024, 02:50 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I love to cook, but this was my first time trying my hand at potato salad. I knew what I did, and didn't like, about potato salads that I have had in the past, and I was looking for the perfect recipe on YouTube.

I had no idea that what I thought was a fairly simple, universal, all American dish had so many variations, varying methods, and opinions on the correct ingredients and procedures! I was getting mind boggled trying to decide how to make mine.

One cooks says boil the potatoes whole, the next one says no no, peel and cube, this one ways salt the water, that one says put chicken bouillon in it. Most say add boiled eggs, but a few don't use eggs at all, and while some use jarred sweet relish and Miracle Whip, others like me, have no appetite for either of those things. Mine was basically russet potatoes, boiled, with a mayo/sour cream dressing containing dill weed, sugar, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and finely chopped celery and sweet and red onion.

In the end, my potatoes came out overcooked, despite my best effort to follow proper timing instructions, and while I was afraid I was adding way too much seasoning, it was not NEARLY enough. We all had to add a lot of salt and pepper to make it edible because it was so bland.

Anyway, I learned some things. Hopefully I can get it right next time.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:35 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
My sister uses mayo, but also vinegar and sugar - i forget the measurements. THE best old-fashioned home-made potato salad in the world. Of course, it's what i grew up with so i'd say that. Grew up in South Jersey and mom was Welsh - don't know if that makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes