Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 03:01 PM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I have to try that potato salad I bought at the deli.

Finally ate it for lunch today. It was pretty good, although it had a strange consistency. Probably because I froze it when I didn't open it for a few days after I bought it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 03:29 PM

61,658 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I make polish style potato salad including visually appealing veggies like cubed carrots, green peas. Finely chopped celery, and peeled, chopped tart apple like Granny Smith (for crunchiness), chopped cooked parsnip and root celery to improve taste; peeled, chopped polish dill pickles (Best Maid) - those with chilli to add a hint of heat. And of course hard cooked eggs, chopped. Garnish with finely chopped dill.
To lower the calories count l mix my favorite mayo (Kewpie) with light sour cream. Believe me - you won't taste it in salad. Sometimes I might add a little of Dijon mustard.

However, I never add onions. I noticed that raw chopped onions spoil the salad pretty fast.

Depending on what I have available in my pantry I might add drained, canned navy beans, and corn. The kind of beans doesn't really matter as long they aren't too mushy (black, red add colors to the salad).

Of course, with so many vegetables added, you could call it vegetable salad, but potatoes account to 70% of it, so I still will call it potato salad

Little more work with that one, but the complex, delicious flavor is hard to beat.

Last edited by elnina; 04-03-2024 at 11:45 PM..

Old 04-03-2024, 03:35 PM

61,658 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Finally ate it for lunch today. It was pretty good, although it had a strange consistency. Probably because I froze it when I didn't open it for a few days after I bought it.
Frozen, cooked potatoes taste awful. Now you know...

Old 04-03-2024, 11:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Care to share a more detailed recipe? Evaporated milk can be used as a substitute for heavy cream...
Yes, I would also like that recipe please, I'm not familiar with it

Old 04-04-2024, 06:28 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
Quote:
Care to share a more detailed recipe? Evaporated milk can be used as a substitute for heavy cream...
You can actually make heavy cream by mixing butter back into milk. There are plenty of recipes out there. I know I keep milk and butter on hand, I almost never have evaporated milk unless I purchase it for a recipe.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
YI know I keep milk and butter on hand, I almost never have evaporated milk unless I purchase it for a recipe.

I keep a can in the pantry ever since I went to use my heavy cream for Alfredo and it had gone bad. I had the evaporated milk there for a Key Lime pie I was going to make the following weekend.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:55 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Quote:
Sure. I'm not sure it's suitable for your tastes as it has sugar in it.

2 eggs, beaten, 1/2 C. sugar, 1 t. cornstarch, salt, 1/2 C. white vinegar, 5 oz. evaporated milk, 1 t. prepared mustard. Stir at medium heat about ten minutes until thickened.

Add 1/4 C. butter and stir until melted. Cool in refrigerator.

Mix in 1 C. mayonnaise and salad ingredients and let stand in refrigerator overnight.

When I was married in 1967 some old soul volunteered to make this vintage potato salad for our reception. It was very rich and creamy.

I've come late to the use of evaporated milk but have learned that it is handy to have a couple of cans in the pantry.

I also always add a generous amount of pepper directly to the potatoes in potato salad.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Sure. I'm not sure it's suitable for your tastes as it has sugar in it.

I'll just omit it

I'm going to try this recipe otherwise, because I'm curious. It's definitely the strangest way to make it that I've seen. How many potatoes, onions, peas, etc.?

Old 04-04-2024, 02:53 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I had become a convert to Southern-style Potato Salad with the addition of mustard and the eggs simply halved before mixing in so they're in bigger chunks versus blended in. But then Southern Living had to print a recipe for Deviled Egg Potato Salad and now that's all I ever want. It's a definite must try!

https://www.southernliving.com/recip...g-potato-salad
I just made Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad from SL and it was good, too. Many of my favorite recipes have come from them.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:58 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,273,325 times
I have never made potato salad personally, but my sister and GF always use boiled eggs (yolk included), mayonnaise and mustard. Relish and onions with a bit of sugar. They both make it very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes