Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:34 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Wow, this is beyond just disgusting behavior. It is vile, evil and downright hateful:

Christian bakers who declined to make cake for same-sex couple receive threats that their house would be burned, son harmed | Christian News on Christian Today

Let's be realistic here. We're not talking about a couple denying someone housing, employment, food or needs and services. It's a baked good. The owners were polite about it and even offered to help them find another bakery. No one should have to fear for their life and property because they didn't want to violate their beliefs.

This just shows me once again the cold intolerance shown to Christians who dare take a stand for their faith. Oh but persecution against Christians doesn't exist in America, right?
We agree on one thing, Jeff. The people making threats are disgusting. The people who have caused damage to their home are disgusting. On that, you will get no argument from me.

However, the same could be said for the person who turns someone away because of who they are. I realize you are one of those people who ignore science and reality, but people are BORN gay. They are born gay, just as black people are born black, or freckled people are born freckled. So there would be no difference is refusing to serve a black couple, and refusing to serve a gay couple. You just want to be able to hate on gays like Jesus..... Wait.... would Jesus have refused to serve gays?

Let me ask you a few questions, Jeff, since you are under the impression that people choose to be gay...

When did you choose to be straight? When did you make that decision? Did you try both first and decide from there? How did you make the decision?

Old 03-22-2016, 11:45 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Someone threatening to violate their son with a broken bottle is sick and extremely cruel. Offering to just shoot him in the head would be merciful by comparison.

Yes the threats and harrassments are terrible and no one should be making threats against people they do not agree with. And in Texas the baker did nothing wrong because you can discriminate againsts gays and if this is the story I read about another bakery offered to bake the cake for free.

The main problem I have with this thread Jeff is you are constantly searching for news stories that fullfill your bias that Christians are persecuted more than anyone else. In today's world lots of people get threated for all kinds of things through the Internet. For being gay, being Christian, black, Jew, Muslim, female, a politicain, entertainer or whatever. It is always wrong to threaten people. To threaten Christians or no more wrong nor no more right than to threatened non Christians, they are all wrong.

You are someone who loves using the word context in defending your faith. Try using context in the matter of threats, they are way too common and always wrong. And remember you brushed off the treats to the two women in Washington telling that if we even mentioned those threats we did not care about the baker being threatened.

The bakers were legally allowed to discriminate, I do not agree with that lack of legal protection in some States, and it could be for housing or at a grocery store. But legally or morally being in the wrong does not give anyone the right to threaten.

I am sure you will find some way to twist this post to make it appear like I hate Christians, or kittens or the Bible or Texas or cakes.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:46 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Legally, SSM is a permissible option. Our secular government recognizes it, and we take no legal opinion on immoral vs moral.

You can have a religious opinion on SSM, but if you run a business that operates outside of a purely religious scope, you need to abide by secular regulations.
Our Government is neither Secular or a Theocracy. A Theocracy demands adherence to Religious Doctrine...a Secular Government prohibits Religion.

Our government is supposed to be a, "Freedom to Exercise Any Ideology You Want, With No Law Made to Establish or Prohibit", type of Government.

These anti-discrimination laws are discriminatory themselves...of Buyers over Sellers.
The SCOTUS rulings are obviously based upon the personal preference of the Justices, and not the pure application of the Constitution. Demonstrative of a corrupt court, which is the standard for them.

The Buyers get to be completely selective as to who they will transact business with, for any reason whatsoever...while the Sellers are not given that equal choice.
This violates the 14th Amendment right of "Equal Protection" in my opinion.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
As much as I disagree with it, the bakery owners had the legal right to discriminate. Heck, I'll even give them points for attempting to help the couple find another bakery that would accommodate them. Vandalism and threats of violence? It's criminal behavior and they must be held responsible.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:16 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Wow, this is beyond just disgusting behavior. It is vile, evil and downright hateful:

Christian bakers who declined to make cake for same-sex couple receive threats that their house would be burned, son harmed | Christian News on Christian Today

Let's be realistic here. We're not talking about a couple denying someone housing, employment, food or needs and services. It's a baked good. The owners were polite about it and even offered to help them find another bakery. No one should have to fear for their life and property because they didn't want to violate their beliefs.

This just shows me once again the cold intolerance shown to Christians who dare take a stand for their faith. Oh but persecution against Christians doesn't exist in America, right?

Can you explain how a same sex wedding cake is different than a heterosexual wedding cake ? Was it requested that they stick two penis statues on the top?

Old 03-22-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
We agree on one thing, Jeff. The people making threats are disgusting. The people who have caused damage to their home are disgusting. On that, you will get no argument from me.

However, the same could be said for the person who turns someone away because of who they are. I realize you are one of those people who ignore science and reality, but people are BORN gay. They are born gay, just as black people are born black, or freckled people are born freckled. So there would be no difference is refusing to serve a black couple, and refusing to serve a gay couple. You just want to be able to hate on gays like Jesus..... Wait.... would Jesus have refused to serve gays?

Let me ask you a few questions, Jeff, since you are under the impression that people choose to be gay...

When did you choose to be straight? When did you make that decision? Did you try both first and decide from there? How did you make the decision?
Your claim is bogus.
I've seen many people switch-up their sexual proclivities. Even be married to one gender, get divorced...then marry the other gender. There are bisexials, asexuals, etc...and people often change their mindset and conduct.
You can't change the race of your parents, and thus what you are...or where you were born...or that you have freckles.
People don't need to "choose" to be heterosexual...that is the natural "default", since procreation is a instinctive "drive" and requires male and female. Anything outside of that is contradictory to that natural default...and either a defect or a choice. Though no one should ever be judged negatively for it.
BUT...comparisons of changeable Religious or Sexual persuasions, with unchangeable characteristics like Race or Country of Origin is one of the more ignorant, even downright stupid, things I see commonly argued in this matter.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:20 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post

I have asked fundies this question before . This is the point that they usually make claims that they are not going to participate further because you are being mean or something . I'm betting you don't get a straight answer .

Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Can you explain how a same sex wedding cake is different than a heterosexual wedding cake ? Was it requested that they stick two penis statues on the top?
One cake is for a HeteroWedding, the other for a HomoWedding.
Some are opposed to HomoWeddings based on their personal morality and do not want to transact business that is in any way involved or connected to it.

There is no such thing as a Gay wedding-cake..but there is such a thing as a Gay-wedding cake.
Only the ignorant inquire as to the difference between the two.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
I have asked fundies this question before . This is the point that they usually make claims that they are not going to participate further because you are being mean or something . I'm betting you don't get a straight answer .
I've asked it of many fundies here. All of them ducked and dodged.

They know they're full of crap when they maintain sexual attraction is a choice.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
See the post before this one. That is The Answer .
Religious Fundamentalists are too hungup on Theological Headtrips to assess it logically and reasonably. I'm not mired in that...thus the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.