Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 12:27 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think the bible is invaluable for documenting the culture and beliefs of ancient middle eastern people. Some of the stories are thought-provoking. Some of the language is poetic and beautiful.

But not much of it is true.
That summarizes my current belief, and, as I said previously, there are valid principles taught in the New Testament...and sometimes in the Old Testament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 12:32 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think the bible is invaluable for documenting the culture and beliefs of ancient middle eastern people. Some of the stories are thought-provoking. Some of the language is poetic and beautiful.

But not much of it is true.
High praise from you, calling it "invaluable". How is something that you believe to be pure fiction invaluable as an historical document in regards to culture and beliefs?

Old 06-15-2018, 12:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
High praise from you, calling it "invaluable". How is something that you believe to be pure fiction invaluable as an historical document in regards to culture and beliefs?

Where did I say it was pure fiction?

This is exactly the kind of dishonest twisting you've become infamous for. Which results in people having no respect for your views and leads to disliking you personally.

Obviously, if I said I believed it was invaluable for illustrating the culture and beliefs of the time, I think that aspect is accurate. Things like stoning people, blaming illness on demons and other ignorant beliefs are illustrative of the primitive era and lack of scientific knowledge.

As to the pure fiction aspect, you need look no further than Genesis.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The same ways that the Icelandic Sagas, Roman, Greek, Native Americam, Chineese or Indian mythology can. One can gain insight to Victorian beliefs and culture by reading the works of Victorian novelists and poets. How is it possible that you can not understand what TroutDude is saying?

Old 06-15-2018, 12:54 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
There's enough in the Bible that is useful, relevant, and helpful to make it worthwhile, though it's mostly at the front of the New Testament. I rarely refer to the rest any more, though James and Peter have good points.

I could care less what people want to argue over as far validity goes. Been there, done that. It's in the rear-view mirror.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-15-2018 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There's enough in the Bible that is useful, relevant, and helpful to make it worthwhile, though it's mostly at the front of the New Testament. I rarely refer to the rest any more, though James and Peter have good points.

I could care less what people want to argue over as far validity goes. Been there, done that. It's in the rear-view mirror.
For you it may be in the rear-view mirror (and yet here you are posting). For others it is a current and ongoing question, as demonstrated through thread after thread, post after post.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:34 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
There are those who believe the scriptures were meant for God's people (the Israelites), and the original language (Hebrew) is how God communicated to his people. Using that logic, it makes sense for some to believe the Bible is fiction. If God hasn't given them understanding, and if they can't accept the teachings of God's prophets and messengers, then it is because:

A. They are not God's chosen people.
B. God has closed their eyes and ears to the truth since they disbelieve or

C. Both.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
D. It isn't there.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:51 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Have fun arguing over what can't be conclusively settled and determined. Enjoy the futility of it all

Old 06-15-2018, 03:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Have fun arguing over what can't be conclusively settled and determined. Enjoy the futility of it all
It can be conclusively settled in one's own mind, after assessing the evidence - or lack thereof.

And where else does it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality