Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 12:10 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sadly, the FAQ instantiates the very rationalization you use to claim there is a default for our ignorance while pretending you accept the fact that "We Do Not Know WHAT our Reality IS or IS NOT." Congratulations on your disingenuousness.
That's ridiculous. All the R&S moderators at that time put forth the efforts to make sure the FAQ used accepted dictionary definitions and was correct as far as any reasonable person could ascertain. (Incidentally, I don't believe Transponder was the primary author of the FAQ, although he did contribute to it.)

So far, you seem to be the only person that doesn't know what reality is. You don't need to brag about that in every single thread.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:20 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's ridiculous. All the R&S moderators at that time put forth the efforts to make sure the FAQ used accepted dictionary definitions and was correct as far as any reasonable person could ascertain. (Incidentally, I don't believe Transponder was the primary author of the FAQ, although he did contribute to it.)

So far, you seem to be the only person that doesn't know what reality is. You don't need to brag about that in every single thread.
I see. So WHAT is it, mensa?? You do know what ontological means, right. If you know this mystery please explain it to me.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:29 PM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:
This is a typical reaction to the often irrational, contradictory, inconsistent, and absurd beliefs ABOUT God in the myriad religions. Sadly, using the mistaken or erroneous beliefs of others to decide whether or not God exists is NOT a reliable method.
Of course it is reliable (ish). If most gods are human inventions of the mind, that increases the probability all god claims are as well.

All you are doing is using the old apologetic of asserting a god exists and others are getting the attributes wrong.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Sadly, the FAQ instantiates the very rationalization you use to claim there is a default for our ignorance while pretending you accept the fact that "We Do Not Know WHAT our Reality IS or IS NOT." Congratulations on your disingenuousness.
The default is what we do know, it is not about our ignorance. Congratulations on YOUR disingenuousness.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
We don't know 95%+ about our universe, atheism just jumps the gun.
No, atheism is based on the 5% that we do know. It is religion that jumps the gun and asserts things we have no evidence for, such as immaterial, intelligent beings.

And if we don't know 95%+, how do we know it is 95%+?

Old 11-21-2020, 12:43 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Of course it is reliable (ish). If most gods are human inventions of the mind, that increases the probability all god claims are as well.
Not remotely, and this is why you misuse Bayes. Your shallow understanding of the tools you use leads you astray.
Quote:
All you are doing is using the old apologetic of asserting a god exists and others are getting the attributes wrong.
Wrong. All I am using is the same evidence you do but acknowledging that we do not know WHAT we are assigning the evidence TO. We can only PRESUME what it is or is not because that is what it means when "We Do Not KNOW what it is."

Old 11-21-2020, 01:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, atheism is based on the 5% that we do know. It is religion that jumps the gun and asserts things we have no evidence for, such as immaterial, intelligent beings.

And if we don't know 95%+, how do we know it is 95%+?
We don't know it, you are correct, i just listening to much smarter than I people of science that says so. they say that we just do not know, I agree.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:43 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
We don't know 95%+ about our universe, atheism just jumps the gun.

You making the mistake that all atheist are in it for just deciding the descriptors/traits to assign the universe and thus form a belief. some people are here fighting Christianity and anything not that (no deity but something) is a strawman because it doesn't help that end.

The example I use is how cb, high, and I spoke. There was no real agenda past looking at what matches what we see. The conversations then focuses on the similarities.

here, this is about stopping religion (especially Christians) at all cost. Not for all of us, but enough of us that the noise is way to drowning. we just have some really scared atheist here.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:53 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Not remotely, and this is why you misuse Bayes. Your shallow understanding of the tools you use leads you astray. Wrong. All I am using is the same evidence you do but acknowledging that we do not know WHAT we are assigning the evidence TO. We can only PRESUME what it is or is not because that is what it means when "We Do Not KNOW what it is."
I know I said this, but it needs to be repeated a lot.

They understand it. They have consciously chosen to suppress any notion that a belief in "something" is irrational and has no evidence to fight religion. It is partly based on how very, over aggressive, thiest behave. I get that point, but its still not the best we can do.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 11-21-2020 at 03:04 PM..

Old 11-21-2020, 03:51 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
You making the mistake that all atheist are in it for just deciding the descriptors/traits to assign the universe and thus form a belief. some people are here fighting Christianity and anything not that (no deity but something) is a strawman because it doesn't help that end.

The example I use is how cb, high, and I spoke. There was no real agenda past looking at what matches what we see. The conversations then focuses on the similarities.

here, this is about stopping religion (especially Christians) at all cost. Not for all of us, but enough of us that the noise is way to drowning. we just have some really scared atheist here.
I think, it is much deeper than that. I studied activities of human societies.
I am a Gnostic, heretic, mainstream Christians would rather deal with atheism than Gnostic heresy.
Despite that, many Gnostics would see mainstream Christianity as allies (which I tend to agree with).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality