Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2020, 03:12 AM

9,698 posts, read 10,053,685 times

Advertisements

Atheist are people who don't believe in God or spirits, and believes its is alright if other people believe but don't try to convert them would be offence .......... Humanist don't believe in God and it is an offence that anybody believes in God and some form a religion of help stop all forms of religion ..... Agnostics may believe in God but put their belief in a small box were believing may not be acquired.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:22 AM

16,830 posts, read 5,032,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Atheist are people who don't believe in God or spirits, and believes its is alright if other people believe but don't try to convert them would be offence ..........

Quote:
Humanist don't believe in God and it is an offence that anybody believes in God and some form a religion of help stop all forms of religion .....
Humanism is independent of religion, one of it's most important people was Petrarch, a Christian.

Quote:
Agnostics may believe in God but puts their belief in a small box were believing may not be acquired.
Agnostics claim they have insufficient knowledge to make a claim, and every agnostic I have asked appears to have an allergy to saying what they believe.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:39 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,630,557 times
Quote:
Atheist are people who don't believe in God or spirits, and believes its is alright if other people believe but don't try to convert them would be offence .......... Humanist don't believe in God and it is an offence that anybody believes in God and some form a religion of help stop all forms of religion ..... Agnostics may believe in God but put their belief in a small box were believing may not be acquired.
really? so humanism is anti-religious and anti-god. that definitely sounds like a statement of belief about god defining them and thus it is very religious looking.

where I think agies go to far is saying we can't know. Those kinds are basing a belief on an unknown and that just isn't sound.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:12 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,824,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
really? so humanism is anti-religious and anti-god. that definitely sounds like a statement of belief about god defining them and thus it is very religious looking.

where I think agies go to far is saying we can't know. Those kinds are basing a belief on an unknown and that just isn't sound.
My understanding is that there are Christian secular humanists, but they believe that society should be democratic rather than theocratic. It would be close enough to topic to go into.

Secular humanism, often simply referred to as humanism, is a philosophy or life stance that embraces human reason, secular ethics, and philosophical naturalism while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, and superstition as the basis of morality and decision making. It pops up on the 'net, but that is what I remember it being. Atheists tend to be secular humanists as a knock -on of making life - decisions ('Worldview' some might say) in the absence of a god - belief.

After a quick look it seems that secular humanism is unlikely to refuse to accept a Theist who approves their view of what society should be, but they seem to expect that god -believers won't be stuffing their post - box with membership applications, and religious comments on it seem to be those directed at atheists.

I have the distinct feeling that, just as atheists and 'agnostics' can be very cozy, sharing a sleeping bag, some kinds of theists and secular humanists could find they have a lot of the same aims and ideas about society. I would deplore utterly, for instance, if we had a secular humanist president, to have him say "No, I don't think that Christians should be regarded as citizens or patriots; this is a nation founded on secular principles".

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-23-2020 at 04:29 AM..

Old 11-23-2020, 06:34 AM

16,107 posts, read 7,107,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Activist atheism is the more visible kind. As you say. many just want to be left alone. Activist atheism is active only in seeing that the others are left alone to believe what they like - or not.
In what way do you see that others are forced to believe one way or the other? And how exactly do atheists come to aid them? Unless you are talking about the R&S universe, where i see you popping up to ‘defend’ someone or other, in what other world is this happening?

Old 11-23-2020, 07:56 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,358,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
In what way do you see that others are forced to believe one way or the other? And how exactly do atheists come to aid them? Unless you are talking about the R&S universe, where i see you popping up to ‘defend’ someone or other, in what other world is this happening?
CHRISTIAN HISTORY INSTITUTE
Interview — Converting By the Sword

This issue, more than any other we've published, raises the awkward matter of forced conversions—"Be Christian or die.” There’s no sense in pretending this was an exceptional missionary tactic; for many centuries, it was the method of choice among Christian rulers and missionaries. The conversion of much of Europe and of Latin America is unimaginable without the sword.
https://christianhistoryinstitute.or...g-by-the-sword

Wikipedia
Forced Conversion
Forced conversion is the adoption of a different religion or the adoption of irreligion under duress. Someone who has been forced to convert to a different religion or irreligion may continue, covertly, to adhere to the beliefs and practices which were originally held, while outwardly behaving as a convert. Crypto-Jews, crypto-Christians, crypto-Muslims and crypto-Pagans are historical examples of the latter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced...%20a%20convert.

]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMbfQ117Jts

Old 11-23-2020, 08:01 AM

16,830 posts, read 5,032,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Forced? In what universe did you see 'forced'?

Old 11-23-2020, 08:17 AM

33,351 posts, read 26,577,135 times
The OP is correct. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a god or gods. For what it's worth, in the first few centuries of the common era the Romans considered Christians to be atheists because the Christians didn't believe in the pagan gods (pagan referring to non-Christian and non-Jewish gods).

Old 11-23-2020, 08:38 AM

16,107 posts, read 7,107,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
CHRISTIAN HISTORY INSTITUTE
Interview — Converting By the Sword

This issue, more than any other we've published, raises the awkward matter of forced conversions—"Be Christian or die.” There’s no sense in pretending this was an exceptional missionary tactic; for many centuries, it was the method of choice among Christian rulers and missionaries. The conversion of much of Europe and of Latin America is unimaginable without the sword.
https://christianhistoryinstitute.or...g-by-the-sword

Wikipedia
Forced Conversion
Forced conversion is the adoption of a different religion or the adoption of irreligion under duress. Someone who has been forced to convert to a different religion or irreligion may continue, covertly, to adhere to the beliefs and practices which were originally held, while outwardly behaving as a convert. Crypto-Jews, crypto-Christians, crypto-Muslims and crypto-Pagans are historical examples of the latter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced...%20a%20convert.

]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMbfQ117Jts

Are there forced conversion happening in the US today, the home of this forum?
We have laws against that.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:42 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,358,202 times
Quote:
Wikipedia
Agnosticism
Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable. Another definition provided is the view that "human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

I openly refer to myself as an atheist. I have no belief in the existence of any god or gods. Do I know for an absolute certainty that no god or gods exist? I do not have the power necessary to know things for an absolute certainty. Does this acknowledgement not make me an agnostic?

Clearly, there is a good deal of common ground between atheism and agnosticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.