Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 03:38 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,253,492 times

Advertisements

Before the pandemic it would be difficult. Now? Way too many landlords got screwed during the pandemic, and if anything, conditions have gotten even tighter. With the rental market being so hot, landlords can pick and choose their best options. Landlords that I know dont want all that cash up front; makes it difficult to evict a bad tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 04:10 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,634,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacadamiaFrappe View Post
Worst case scenario, I could pay 6-9 months rent up front. But I'd prefer not to part with that much cash.
Not to be too direct, but it sounds like what you're describing *is* worst case scenario.

If you have the cash, you can try to find a private land lord who is willing to accept this scenario (they're out there...). For the sake of kiddos, this might be the best option.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,533,306 times
You dont need to plunk down 9 months,just 3 months.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,838,175 times
Quote:
To explain, I'm divorcing.
I'd have 2 kids part-time.
Shared space with roommates wouldnt work.
No relatives to live with that would be kid friendly.
I was MAFMLA (similar to FMLA) but that is winding up. My employer wants me to either return to work FT or resign.
In your place, even though you've got something else lined up to start in Sept., I'd rethink resigning until you get a place.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:20 AM

7,410 posts, read 4,194,968 times
Quote:
I was MAFMLA (similar to FMLA) but that is winding up. My employer wants me to either return to work FT or resign.
Return to work now.

Don't see a choice here.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:55 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,925,506 times
Quote:
Umm, why not return to work?

Old 06-24-2022, 09:12 AM

9,900 posts, read 7,792,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Return to work now.

Don't see a choice here.
Agree. How can you resign with 2 children?

Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,634,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Agree. How can you resign with 2 children?
And no house.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:10 PM

32,701 posts, read 48,250,531 times
How do you intend to pay the rent? When a landlord does the screening of applicants he is looking for a tenant who will pay the rent with no hassle and who will take care of the place without damaging it.

Do you have a firm job offer for September and do you have that in writing? Do you have a large savings account that you could use to pay rent for awhile? Can you offer proof that you are capable of paying the rent and not just hoping that you might be able to pay the rent if everything goes well?

How is it that you have no landlord references? Do you currently own your house? Owning a house with a current mortgage that is always paid on time is acceptable in lieu of a landlord reference almost anywhere.

Your credit is OK-ish. Take a look at it and if there are any small items, pay them off right now. It's one thing to have a big medical bill, it is something else entirely to owe $100 to the tire store and $20 to Victoria's Secret. I once saw a credit report where there was a collection for $12 to a pizza place. If there is anything like that on your credit report, get it paid off immediately.

You are pretty darn marginal, so get to work to make yourself as attractive a you can. Anything, any small improvement will help. if you don't have a job lined up, get busy and remedy that.

Sorry but when the government started giving away free rent during Covid, the landlords that would give a person a second chance have mostly tightened up because their generosity costs them many tens of thousands of dollars and sometimes cost them their property. It's tougher to qualify now.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:44 PM

51,027 posts, read 36,735,609 times
I would hold off on resigning until you have the apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting