Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 2,625 times

Advertisements

I'd like some advice about how to rent without getting a cosigner or making a massive upfront payment in my circumstances. Here is some background:

1. I've been on medical leave from work (not technically unemployed) for a few months to tend to family and medical matters.
2. I'm resigning my job this week. So, I'm effectively not currently working.
2. I'm looking to rent a place in the next 6 weeks or hopefully sooner (mid-August or sooner).
3. I'm going back to work but not until September.
4. I haven't rented since the early 1990s so I don't have any landlord references.
5. My credit score is 675 if that is helpful.

Any advice on how to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 02:25 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
No cosigner, no large deposit, no current income, no rental history, fair credit score, during one of the most competitive rental markets in recent history?

Your best bet is finding a friend or relative willing to rent some space to you.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:32 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No cosigner, no large deposit, no current income, no rental history, fair credit score, during one of the most competitive rental markets in recent history?

Your best bet is finding a friend or relative willing to rent some space to you.
Sadly, I agree. I did it years ago (relocated with no job lined up), but I had a very high credit score at the time. Things are different now, though.

If your credit score was high you might have a chance. 675 is not terrible, it just is not ideal given your current situation.

I am unclear on your resignation situation. Are you on FMLA? That means you are still employed, technically.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:38 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Serious question - how do you plan to pay for the apartment? If you can't pay up front, what money (savings?) will you use to pay rent? Where have you lived since 1990?

Have you considered an extended stay hotel or airbnb?

Old 06-23-2022, 02:43 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Serious question - how do you plan to pay for the apartment? If you can't pay up front, what money (savings?) will you use to pay rent? Where have you lived since 1990?

I think an extended stay hotel is an excellent suggestion (airbnb would be tougher).

Old 06-23-2022, 02:46 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:

This. You're setting yourself up to have just about all the possible strikes against you OP. Rent a room, basement, garage, an RV, something from someone you know. They may welcome the extra income right now. Its temporary, right? Your circumstances could change a lot fairly shortly so even if you do have $ for a formal rental it may be difficult to even find a short term lease.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:06 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,331,771 times
Quote:

Agreed. I do not mean to be unkind to the original poster, but s/he does not stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting a lease on a closet much less an apartment or a house.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Sadly, I agree. I did it years ago (relocated with no job lined up), but I had a very high credit score at the time. Things are different now, though.

If your credit score was high you might have a chance. 675 is not terrible, it just is not ideal given your current situation.

I am unclear on your resignation situation. Are you on FMLA? That means you are still employed, technically.
To explain, I'm divorcing.
I'd have 2 kids part-time.
Shared space with roommates wouldnt work.
No relatives to live with that would be kid friendly.
I was MAFMLA (similar to FMLA) but that is winding up. My employer wants me to either return to work FT or resign.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post

Worst case scenario, I could pay 6-9 months rent up front. But I'd prefer not to part with that much cash.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
there are places which pay by the week,motel on highway I have seen,you can negotiate monthly rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting