Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 04:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 7,778,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How do you intend to pay the rent? When a landlord does the screening of applicants he is looking for a tenant who will pay the rent with no hassle and who will take care of the place without damaging it.

Do you have a firm job offer for September and do you have that in writing? Do you have a large savings account that you could use to pay rent for awhile? Can you offer proof that you are capable of paying the rent and not just hoping that you might be able to pay the rent if everything goes well?

How is it that you have no landlord references? Do you currently own your house? Owning a house with a current mortgage that is always paid on time is acceptable in lieu of a landlord reference almost anywhere.

Your credit is OK-ish. Take a look at it and if there are any small items, pay them off right now. It's one thing to have a big medical bill, it is something else entirely to owe $100 to the tire store and $20 to Victoria's Secret. I once saw a credit report where there was a collection for $12 to a pizza place. If there is anything like that on your credit report, get it paid off immediately.

You are pretty darn marginal, so get to work to make yourself as attractive a you can. Anything, any small improvement will help. if you don't have a job lined up, get busy and remedy that.

Sorry but when the government started giving away free rent during Covid, the landlords that would give a person a second chance have mostly tightened up because their generosity costs them many tens of thousands of dollars and sometimes cost them their property. It's tougher to qualify now.
As a landlord, would you ask to see his divorce agreement to see how that would impact his finances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 07:58 PM

32,681 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
As a landlord, would you ask to see his divorce agreement to see how that would impact his finances?

No.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:40 PM

3,372 posts, read 2,904,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacadamiaFrappe View Post
I'd like some advice about how to rent without getting a cosigner or making a massive upfront payment in my circumstances. Here is some background:

1. I've been on medical leave from work (not technically unemployed) for a few months to tend to family and medical matters.
2. I'm resigning my job this week. So, I'm effectively not currently working.
2. I'm looking to rent a place in the next 6 weeks or hopefully sooner (mid-August or sooner).
3. I'm going back to work but not until September.
4. I haven't rented since the early 1990s so I don't have any landlord references.
5. My credit score is 675 if that is helpful.

Any advice on how to do this?
Either look for private landlords, or lie about resigning your job... You should be fine.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:32 AM

7,394 posts, read 4,182,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Either look for private landlords, or lie about resigning your job... You should be fine.
Don't know about being fine - the WSJ had a front page article yesterday about how companies are rescinding job offers. A recession is on its way.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:57 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,627,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Don't know about being fine - the WSJ had a front page article yesterday about how companies are rescinding job offers. A recession is on its way.
I read that article, and I believe it referenced big tech, especially in Crypto space. Not "companies" as a blanket statement.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:05 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,521,516 times
banks are laying off workers in mortgage dept,so not just Big Tech ,NFLX is laying off workers,
OP said she would have 2 kids part time,so I assume 2 kids will stay with DAD some of the time.
IF she has been living in a HOUSE with hubby,then she has no landlord reference.
I think it would be hard to convince a landlord with good rental property that she has no reference,no job but 2 kids.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:16 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,356,696 times
Keep current job until You are actually starting new job Offer of job does not mean job be there.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:28 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,344,047 times
As something of an aside here, and this is just an observation about this sort of situation, I wonder why more couples who want to divorce, especially those with children, are unable to work out a situation that is really supportive and good for everyone involved? After all, they were a loving family at least for sometime.

I admire how Sarah and Andrew handled their divorce and the care of their children. They are all still very supportive of one another. I wish all couples could follow their example insofar as it is possible given their unique circumstances.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:16 AM

6 posts, read 2,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
You recommend lying about resigning job.

Won't that be uncovered by a credit check or a call to former employer's HR department?

Old 06-25-2022, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 2,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Keep current job until You are actually starting new job Offer of job does not mean job be there.
It's not practical for me to stay at my current job.

Of note, my career options (post-COVID) are all for remote or hybrid work. There are very few onsite jobs in my field anymore. My spouse hates remote work and wants me out of the house. She makes it extremely stressful and unprofessional to get anything done. I can't do anything approaching my best work, which is necessary in a high pressure field. (I'm usually a good performer.) This was a big problem at the job I'm resigning.

So, I need to get into a stable living situation before starting the next job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting