Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 06:00 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,514,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What is "low" is subjective and relative. NYC is diverse with hundreds of different neighborhoods and price points. There are more than a handful of neighborhoods with median rents for one bedrooms at or under that amount. This article gets into things somewhat. It's from late 2021, but I haven't been finding much different for today either: https://www.brickunderground.com/ren...t%20affordable.
Yes exactly. I mean paying 2000 and up I might as well buy and just pay a mortgage. Which is the plan in about 2 years. I cannot imagine paying 1800 a month to live in a one bedroom in Idaho lolol

I saw a gorgeous 2 bedroom for 1700 on trulia. All new appliances etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 11:27 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,095,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What is "low" is subjective and relative. NYC is diverse with hundreds of different neighborhoods and price points. There are more than a handful of neighborhoods with median rents for one bedrooms at or under that amount. This article gets into things somewhat. It's from late 2021, but I haven't been finding much different for today either: https://www.brickunderground.com/ren...t%20affordable.
It’s dirt cheap where she lives.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:49 PM

30,738 posts, read 18,390,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Not necessarily. Again, all relative, even within the same city. It does not seem to be dirt cheap where she is in NYC. Where I am from in NYC, that price would be dirt cheap. But it wouldn't be dirt cheap if one lived in certain parts of the Bronx, as an example.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:25 PM

3,373 posts, read 2,913,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
HI all,

I need some advice here.
I moved into this apartment last year in July. I have had multiple issues in here since moving in which are:

1. stove broke after using three times - landlord got nasty when I told him oven wasn't working and asked "if I cook a lot"...I've lived in apartments with 30 year old stoves that worked just fine. Repairman came and said the whole stove was in bad shape and it needed new igniter.

2. washer overflowed after two months (purchased refurbished)...when LG came to repair, they said due to faulty water valve and replaced.

3. Toilet wouldn't flush and had to be snaked (after one month)...

4. Pilot light outside went out twice requiring plumber to come out twice (second time needed new thermacouple), there is an outside area with all the furnaces and apparently these go out frequently accoding to other residents.

5. Bathtub leaking into downstairs shower, noticed tiles are loose and rotting behind tiles.

My issue now is number 5. My downstairs neighbor called me last week and said there was water leaking into his shower.....I had just showered. Upon inspection of the lower tiles, I noticed some were loose and one came off, and there is rotting behind the tiles, likely due to water leaking behind there for years. The bathroom and everything in it is probably over 30 years old.

I contact landlord, and he doesn't reply. Two days later, I contact again and get a VERY nasty phone call that "why are things breaking every month" and he will come inspect but he's not happy and I should be able to fix small things myself. This is not something I can fix on my own.....due tot he wall damage.

Is this even ethical? him calling me and yelling because I'm letting him know about an issue that needs to be addressed on his property? I've never dealt with anything like this!
He wants his money and no issues. If he's thinking you're deliberately breaking things, he might try to push you out by raising the rent (either now, or in a year), or trying to withhold security deposit or anything... But you're entitled to repairs to be done, if he's not making them upon a written request, you can tell him you'd hire someone and reduce the rent by whatever the repairman charges you (that's really your "declaration of war" and it can backfire on you, so don't rush to do it, but you can actually do something like that if need be).

On the issue No 5 though... It's non-issue at all for you... It's between the downstairs tenant and his landlord. You did you duty and informed the landlord of the problem (how nice of you, you did not have to). Now enjoy your showers...

Old 07-10-2022, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/10314_zip/1p_beds/

I don’t live in Manhattan.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:37 AM

32,722 posts, read 48,321,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/10314_zip/1p_beds/

I don’t live in Manhattan.

Well there you go, then. Lots of places to move to if you find one that you like better than where you are now.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well there you go, then. Lots of places to move to if you find one that you like better than where you are now.
Yea it stinks that I have to move so soon but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting