Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 09:07 AM

3,079 posts, read 5,521,654 times

Advertisements

HI all,

I need some advice here.
I moved into this apartment last year in July. I have had multiple issues in here since moving in which are:

1. stove broke after using three times - landlord got nasty when I told him oven wasn't working and asked "if I cook a lot"...I've lived in apartments with 30 year old stoves that worked just fine. Repairman came and said the whole stove was in bad shape and it needed new igniter.

2. washer overflowed after two months (purchased refurbished)...when LG came to repair, they said due to faulty water valve and replaced.

3. Toilet wouldn't flush and had to be snaked (after one month)...

4. Pilot light outside went out twice requiring plumber to come out twice (second time needed new thermacouple), there is an outside area with all the furnaces and apparently these go out frequently accoding to other residents.

5. Bathtub leaking into downstairs shower, noticed tiles are loose and rotting behind tiles.

My issue now is number 5. My downstairs neighbor called me last week and said there was water leaking into his shower.....I had just showered. Upon inspection of the lower tiles, I noticed some were loose and one came off, and there is rotting behind the tiles, likely due to water leaking behind there for years. The bathroom and everything in it is probably over 30 years old.

I contact landlord, and he doesn't reply. Two days later, I contact again and get a VERY nasty phone call that "why are things breaking every month" and he will come inspect but he's not happy and I should be able to fix small things myself. This is not something I can fix on my own.....due tot he wall damage.

Is this even ethical? him calling me and yelling because I'm letting him know about an issue that needs to be addressed on his property? I've never dealt with anything like this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 10:27 AM

9,376 posts, read 14,236,482 times
There appears to be a lot to fix. Has he owned the space very long? He was probably unaware of these problems and didn’t have a thorough inspection. He can’t afford the repairs? Or is upset because he made a bad business decision. If only you can get out of that lease and move elsewhere. Of course if it was super cheap maybe your frustration is part of the cost. What a mess. For both of you. And the person below you.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:30 AM

35,403 posts, read 17,327,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I contact landlord, and he doesn't reply. Two days later, I contact again and get a VERY nasty phone call that "why are things breaking every month" and he will come inspect but he's not happy and I should be able to fix small things myself. This is not something I can fix on my own.....due tot he wall damage.

Is this even ethical? him calling me and yelling because I'm letting him know about an issue that needs to be addressed on his property? I've never dealt with anything like this!
One way or another getting along with a landlord is important. Not good people to pick fights with.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:30 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,361,417 times
Sounds like a slumlord. Begin by contacting your city's Code Compliance office. An officer will be sent out to investigate. Code can get some of these issues resolved for you, but the bottom line is you need to move.

I am not going to go into statutory remedies here because it has been discussed before in a recent thread, but begin by asking the landlord to agree to release you from the remainder of the lease contract. If he refuses, then you should look at your state's statutory remedies which would require you to take very specific steps in order to break your lease, move out, and sue for your moving expenses and any other damages.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:41 AM

32,757 posts, read 48,460,461 times
Quote:

1. stove broke after using three times

2. washer overflowed after two months (purchased refurbished)...when LG came to repair, they said due to faulty water valve and replaced.

3. Toilet wouldn't flush and had to be snaked (after one month)...

4. Pilot light outside went out twice requiring plumber to come out twice (second time needed new thermacouple),

5. Bathtub leaking into downstairs shower, noticed tiles are loose and rotting behind tiles.

1. If stove is included, it is landord's job to fix. Unless your rental agreement says otherwise or you did something to damage the stove.

2. It's your washer and that water valve is inside the washing machine not in the house plumbing, yours to fix and you shouldn't have even called the landlord about it.

3. After one month, toilet blockage is on you. Be responsibility about what you flush. If you didn't chew it and swallow it before it went in the toilet, it doesn't belong there. Baby wipes, condoms, sanitary products and applicators will all cause plumbing issues. The package says they are flushable but the package lies.

4. thermocouple of water heater is landlord's responsibility

5. bathroom tiles are landlord's responsibility unless you did something to break them.

You aren't happy there. The landlord isn't happy with you there. Ask if you can terminate the lease without penalty and move. If the landlord agrees to let you out of the lease, get it in writing.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:05 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,990,276 times
Quote:

My issue now is number 5. My downstairs neighbor called me last week and said there was water leaking into his shower.....I had just showered. Upon inspection of the lower tiles, I noticed some were loose and one came off, and there is rotting behind the tiles, likely due to water leaking behind there for years. The bathroom and everything in it is probably over 30 years old.

It looks like the LL has been responsive to issues 1 through 4, albeit grudgingly.

Number 5 is critical because you can potentially be sued by the downstairs neighbor for damage to any of the neighbor's personal property. A lawsuit could happen if it it's not your fault. Make sure you have renter's insurance.

I suggest putting any repair requests in writing, email will suffice.

This has nothing to do with ethics, it has to do with contract and statutes.

Study up on the NY landlord tenant statutes for your rights and the LL's obligations.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-yor...rpp/article-7/

If you are in a rent controlled apartment the Rent Guidelines Board of NYC appears to have updated statutory links.

https://rentguidelinesboard.cityofnewyork.us/

Quote:

I contact landlord, and he doesn't reply. Two days later, I contact again and get a VERY nasty phone call that "why are things breaking every month" and he will come inspect but he's not happy and I should be able to fix small things myself.
Nonsense. What does your lease say about you fixing small things? Does it allow you to deduct the costs from rent? Probably not. Then ask your landlord to write you an addendum to your lease that will allow you to fix the small stuff on your own (without notice to him) and deduct the costs from your rent based on repair receipts that you obtain and keep copies of. See what he says about that.

I'm not sure moving will solve any problems. Many apartment buildings in NYC are old and have similar issues. My sisters live in Manhattan. Might be best to see what you can work out with this LL.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:24 PM

3,079 posts, read 5,521,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
1. If stove is included, it is landord's job to fix. Unless your rental agreement says otherwise or you did something to damage the stove.

2. It's your washer and that water valve is inside the washing machine not in the house plumbing, yours to fix and you shouldn't have even called the landlord about it.

3. After one month, toilet blockage is on you. Be responsibility about what you flush. If you didn't chew it and swallow it before it went in the toilet, it doesn't belong there. Baby wipes, condoms, sanitary products and applicators will all cause plumbing issues. The package says they are flushable but the package lies.

4. thermocouple of water heater is landlord's responsibility

5. bathroom tiles are landlord's responsibility unless you did something to break them.

You aren't happy there. The landlord isn't happy with you there. Ask if you can terminate the lease without penalty and move. If the landlord agrees to let you out of the lease, get it in writing.

washer was his, he bought it refurbished and the repairman from LG told me that there are often problems with refurbished machines, hence the faulty water valve and huge leak.

thankfully my lease is up this month!

Old 06-30-2022, 12:58 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,990,276 times
Quote:

Make sure you address these issues with your next LL before to take the apartment and make sure the contingencies are in the lease.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:17 PM

32,757 posts, read 48,460,461 times
Quote:
washer was his, he bought it refurbished and the repairman from LG told me that there are often problems with refurbished machines, hence the faulty water valve and huge leak.

Then make sure you have given the proper written notice that you will not be renewing the lease. be out on the last day, do not over-stay, and leave the place carefully cleaned. Take lots of photos of the condition when you leave.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,129,444 times
Lease is up in a month?? Did you renew or did you submit a notice to vacate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting