Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 PM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryWilliams View Post
Missing Lynchburg!
(we just hosted the Rugby World Cup down here)
I take it you are no longer in Dublin? what is New Zealand like? How did you end up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:43 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
Feel free to take a little tour of my dingy neighborhood. Mostly highly educated people with many advanced degrees. Not a hillbilly around except maybe for some of the lawncare guys. This area covers at least one-third of the city plus much of the western/southwestern suburbs--but their houses are mostly newer.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
Whoops meant there, not their.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Feel free to take a little tour of my dingy neighborhood. Mostly highly educated people with many advanced degrees. Not a hillbilly around except maybe for some of the lawncare guys. This area covers at least one-third of the city plus much of the western/southwestern suburbs--but their houses are mostly newer.

Very nice photos. (Can only speak for myself) I recognize a handfull those homes, but does 1/3 of Lynchburg REALLY look like that? No matter how I drive the only time I have that kind of view is when I take my dog to the vet around there. Living and working here, that is not what I see on a daily basis.
I wish it was though

Old 11-20-2011, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 27,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
I take it you are no longer in Dublin? what is New Zealand like? How did you end up there?

As you know, the economy has been very shaky in Ireland. I did not get laid off bit a co-worker and good friend did. He was originally from Australia and returned home. After six months he calls me with a job offer just could not turn down. Our wifes are good friends too, so that helped with making up our minds. My job is for 3 years, so after that I plan on returning to Dublin. We live in Miramar, a Wellington suburb that is great. After living in Dublin, I was a bit spoiled with quality live music as most big bands stop by Dublin. Wellington does not have that, but we do get some international and cool names, plus Kiwi and Aussie bands like Naked & Famous, Tame Impala and The Temper Trap (bands that has been in tour and it all over the world including the US and the UK)….so THAT is the only "let down" with life here. :-)

Send me a PM if you have other questions.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Nice photos, but hardly representational of Lynchburg. Those houses are if my memory serves me correctly, all right after Randolph Macon Women's College. 1/3 of Lynchburg does NOT look like that. That does not take anything away from those houses/photos of course, but they are not representational of Lynchburg at all.

But since I will travel to Lynchburg next Christmas, I'll will spend ALL my time stalking that part of town in hopes of not killing my Christmas spirit.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 AM

From east of Randolph C to the city limits to the west and beyond it looks like that. Almost all the homes off Boonsboro and Trents Ferry all the way to the end.(Maybe not all THAT nice but nice) South to Old Forest Rd. and west to the big subdivisions off Graves Mill west of 221 and back up to SR 501. And that does not include large areas of Forest.
Go to the Census Tract map at this link. Great area includes Tracts 1, 2.01, 2.02, and 3. Tracts 8,9,10,14,16,17,and 18 are overall solid middle-class with some nicer pockets and a bit of not as nice. Basically the crummy areas are just tracts 4,6,7,12,AND 13.

City of Lynchburg : Map Gallery

Old 11-22-2011, 04:47 PM

Seems like in the old days Lynchburg was more known for the lack of churches.

History of Buzzards Roost | Buzzards Roost

Old 11-25-2011, 05:31 AM

895 posts, read 2,095,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryWilliams View Post
Missing Lynchburg!
You are a one funny dude, ever considered a career in stand up.
I still have nightmares actually. Sort of. I dream often that I am in Lynchburg, driving through all the dingy neighbor hoods feeling all down and sad. Then I wake up and realize that I did leave. It is very strange, scarred for life, ha, ha. My wife's family still live there so I have been back twice to visit. I am so glad I could leave all the Bible crazies, hillbillies and right-wing conspiracy freaks behind. Now I have a great career, good friends, live just outside a beautiful city (and the outdoors is close too, way better then central Virginia)...
Jerry- That is one very imbalanced view you have... and it is sad that it took a move to make you a better dad and husband- in fact, that is BS.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Jerry- That is one very imbalanced view you have... and it is sad that it took a move to make you a better dad and husband- in fact, that is BS.
I am a happier person and therefore a better person...and a better father and husband.

I feel that now I can be the person I want to be, in all aspects of my life. This should not be read that I somehow was a drunken wife abuser who cursed at my children and slept around, if that is what you are implying. One example is that now I jump at coaching soccer/football, but when I lived in Lynchburg I found it hard to be involved since I felt so down and found it hard to connect with the folks there. When I lived in Lynchburg it was so hard to get out of bed, these days I get up and go for a run before I get the kids out of bed, fix them breakfast and drive them to school.

It was hard for me to be at my best when life in Lynchburg was miserable. A move did change that.

Maybe you never had to live in a towns that really wasn't your cup of tea, working a dull job while that affected other aspect of your life. Well, you have not missed much.

What is so BS about that?

Please explain.

Last edited by JerryWilliams; 11-27-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Still being stuck in Lynchburg I agree with Jerry. Living in a town you really do not like does indeed affect a how you function. That is not strange at all. I know I have to focus much harder to not snap at my kids BECAUSE I live here. It would be nice to live someplace you liked and could feel happy. A very good freind of mine, we known each other since 1989 says that living in Lynchburg has made me a bit synical and bitter. That is very sad, I for one, does not want to be sycnical or bitter. Not good qualities at all. Living here for 9 years has maybe probably done that. I am REALLY affraid that this has affected me as a parent. I hope not, but having working in the social services feild, I do know that this tends to spill over to your parenting.

Am I speaking BS too??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area