Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:51 PM

895 posts, read 2,098,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
For instance, probably the best mexican restaurant in the area moved there from a Forest location to downtown. One year later they moved back to Forest.
...what I heard is that an investor wanted to but the old Erricson land an put in arcade and other young adult atractions. Now LU owns it intead. It is hard to say where Lynchburg goes. But my guess is it will be slow.

Whole Foods tried to get into Lynchburg out on 221 by Perrowville but was boxed out by a local developer.
Just wanted to add a bit to your comments above. The Mexican restaurant at 12th and Main seems to be doing just fine and has been since it opened. Not much truth to the investor/arcade thing. Hobby Lobby bought the property and gave it to Liberty; had an investor wanted it, the city would have worked hard to make it happen (but I'd also guess that an arcade would hardly pay the dividends that LU has generated through their millions of dollars of investment on that property). Whole Foods did not look at the site in Forest. If they do look for a site in Lynchburg, it probably won't be in such an inconvenient area. Forest is growing, but the demographics wouldn't be nearly as enticing as they would be on the city end of 221 or in the Graves Mill area.
Lastly, from the looks of it, the loft projects seem to be doing well- and a few more ore being started in the 1300 block of Main St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 14,520 times
Wow, I would have to say this makes me think twice about moving to Lynchburg over Roanoke, which is a decision I have been pondering. I live now in the Western North Carolina mountains, and have been saddened by the religious insularity and prejudices against other views. I have never before had a hard time making friends, but after two plus years my husband and I are clearly still on the outside.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:59 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,663,906 times
Lynchburg has a better and more dynamic economic base that Roanoke. We are not religious and have no problems in that regard. Neither do most educated people.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reretram View Post
Wow, I would have to say this makes me think twice about moving to Lynchburg over Roanoke, which is a decision I have been pondering. I live now in the Western North Carolina mountains, and have been saddened by the religious insularity and prejudices against other views. I have never before had a hard time making friends, but after two plus years my husband and I are clearly still on the outside.
Lynchburg and Roanoke are more similar than not in regards to "religiosity." You would find that Lynchburg is very different than the mountains of WNC. If you make decisions based on what you read on a forum... Anyway, maybe you should move to a place that you already have friends or family in.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,862,157 times
In reading your post, it seems the southeast really isn't for you. There are plenty of other places to live in the U.S. where you would feel more comfortable. Possibly in northern Virginia or even Richmond area...

Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM

506 posts, read 1,403,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
No- he is just not tainted by bad experiences that a few seem to center their lives around. I have only noticed three or four folks who seem to have an axe to grind.
sregorat3, my old sparring partner,you always say that when folks point out that Lynchburg is not their cup of tea.....................

Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
sregorat3, my old sparring partner,you always say that when folks point out that Lynchburg is not their cup of tea.....................
I had to look back to see how long ago I posted that! It's OK if Lynchburg isn't your cup of tea. When I use the phrase "axe to grind," I'm referring to the endless bashing and over-the-top negative comments a few have made in the past. It almost seems as though a few people think they can do actual damage to the area by pointing out negatives, adding a few negative twists to them, and then posting them on a forum.
I haven't seen you posting much lately; have you been away?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen you posting much lately; have you been away?
Well, I was off overseas two weeks ago....but except for that I have been here.
It might be hard to belive, but I have other things to do

Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Well, I was off overseas two weeks ago....but except for that I have been here.
It might be hard to belive, but I have other things to do
Hope things are going well for you. Never did get that chance to get together- ever go to the White Hart?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Never did get that chance to get together- ever go to the White Hart?
It has been a while, but I drive past it a few times a week after working out at the Downtown Y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area