Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 PM

19 posts, read 63,987 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are traveling around the US by RV looking for a place to buy a house and settle down. We really like the climate and terrain of the south-east, but we aren’t religious, and I realize that in the Bible belt, we’ll be the odd people out. Lynchburg is on our list of cities to check out, but we’re currently in Roanoke, and when I asked residents here about Lynchburg, the responses indicated that Lynchburg is VERY overtly religious. Our waiter at a restaurant (college-age) described Lynchburg as “the most religious city in the US,” and the owner of our RV park (in her 60’s) said: “It’s not that there are so many churches; it’s just that people are very in your face about it and they don’t back off.” I’ve also been told that Roanoke is “liberal” to Lynchburg’s “conservative.”

It there truth to these assertions, or is Lynchburg no more religious than any other Bible Belt city? I’ve compared the number of churches, and while Lynchburg has many, it has fewer than Raleigh NC, Greenville SC, and Springfield MO. I’ve gathered statistics for the cities we’re visiting, and in Lynchburg, 49% of people identify as religious and only 13.5% are Baptist. No disrespect meant, but Southern Baptists are most known for being persistent about sharing their faith (“in your face”), and the percentage in Lynchburg is lower Greenville, Ashville, Roanoke, and many other cities in this region.

So what am I missing? We realize that many people in the south will be religious, and most will be Protestant Christians. But I would prefer not to be in an environment where Christians are heavy handed about proselytizing, and I am not comfortable with a community where religion crops up in civic and city events, such as prayers in schools, overtly religious city Christmas decorations, prayers to start civic events like festivals, and so on. I realize that people will talk about their religion – I just don’t want to be beaten over the head with it.

Can anyone familiar with Lynchburg clarify? Is it that much more religious than Roanoke, Greenville, and other southern cities of comparable size? Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
I can only relate an experience I have had in Lynchburg as it relates to being "overtly religious". About a year ago I visited the Barnes & Noble in Lynchburg and a couple came over to my table and started talking about Jesus to me. I am not a religious person. I was quite startled by their aggressiveness. I guess I have "non-Christian" written all over me!! I grew up in this area and as a young child a baptist minister told me (while waiting in a hamburger joint line) that I was going to hell if I didn't change my ways. I was only 8 at the time & I was in L'burg.
I have never been approached in Roanoke by total strangers, only nutty friends who tell me the same stuff in conversation. So funny!!

Old 10-22-2011, 06:42 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I've never been there but it is home to Liberty University, a fundamentalist college started by Jerry Falwell.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,058,344 times
Lots of discussion on the qualities of life in Lynchburg (and Roanoke) in this old thread...it is long so be sure and read to the end!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/roano...lynchburg.html

Old 10-23-2011, 01:54 PM

134 posts, read 331,968 times
A good portion of my neighbors are active in their churches, but, having been raised in the bible belt, I think that's just part of our culture and part of making a place for yourself in a new community (my neighborhood is also made up of a lot of transplants). In the two years I've been here I've never had an encounter quite like the one described at B&N, but I've had a person from the new church down the street knock on my door and leave literature, and one person on the street hand me a religious card. Then again, I've had the same thing happen in several other places, including Alexandria, VA, Washington, DC, Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Moab, UT.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 AM

55 posts, read 122,403 times
i moved from hattiesburg, ms to lynchburg in 2005 to go to liberty (so yes, i'm 'religious' lol). stayed there 1 1/2 years, then did other things til i moved to roanoke this year.

lynchburg is in general 'overtly religious' bc of two main things - the falwells & liberty university. LU is huge & dominates the area. lynchburg seems to cater to LU students & their atmosphere.

so overall, yes, you're going to be a minority & you're probably going to be periodically have it 'in your face' there. which, even as a christian myself, i don't like the common approaches southern baptists tend to have.

i don't feel that way at all in roanoke. much more toned down. i also think it's prettier here. & a bit bigger. just my two cents

Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Interestingly enough, within 24 hours of posting my comment, I had two different people (who I regularly deal with) tell me how the devil is all around and the only way to Heaven is their way. It may have been my own fault for talking about the Ghost Walk we just had in my neighborhood (which I thought was a fun curiosity), or it may be I put it out there with my comment here. Or perhaps one of the mega churches had preached on that this weekend...

Who knows. I do know I've never had conversation quite like that before, and there I was having two in one short amount of time. I do know I'm still not planning on moving away (nor am I planning to change my Unitarian viewpoint). I love the outdoor aspects and nascent creative vibe of downtown Lynchburg too much to let other viewpoints drive me off. Plus, I have plenty of friends here who feel the same.

Last edited by springgrl; 10-26-2011 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-26-2011, 09:50 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,383 times
The seven or so retired guys I meet at Starbucks on Sunday mornings don't seem to be worried about missing church. Many go, many do not. Nobody ever tried to convert me or to go to their church which has happened other places. But I was younger then too.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:23 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
I think I've posted this opinion before but here goes. There are really two Lynchburgs sharing a city limits. The "side" over by Liberty is definitely more overtly religious. The northwest area near Rivermont/Peakland/Boonsboro/Langhorne is more "mainstream".

Old 10-26-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The "side" over by Liberty is definitely more overtly religious.
Which is why the perfect time to shop on Ward's Rd. (if you have to) is Sunday mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area