Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:28 PM

94 posts, read 155,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
HA...have you noticed that the Virginia travel guide has Roanoke in the SHENANDOAH VALLEY with Harrisonburg, Winchester, etc., instead of the BLUE RIDGE with Blacksburg and Floyd??

Virginia Map - Virginia Is For Lovers
Those folks at the VA Travel Council have put us in civil war country now!! There is absolutely nothing here that resembles the Civil War. Other parts of Virginia are still fighting it or trying to forget it!! I read somewhere the Roanoke tourism folks
are finally seeing how the state is treating us and they aren't happy about the mess. Roanoke started it's OWN tourism campaign as a Blue Ridge destination and the state continues to confuse everyone that Roanoke shares it's history with
The Valley. Has anyone from the VA Tourism Council ever been to Roanoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 AM

137 posts, read 218,827 times
My only complaint so far - Being from the north I have been hoping to find some really great southern cooking and havent yet.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,359 times
Interesting very interesting....I was born and grew up in Roanoke...went into the service during Viet Nam returned to Roanoke to attend college met my wife raised my family moved to Richmond Va due to job promotion retired and thought I might return to Roanoke...most of my family lives in the valley and it has some good things to offer...but there is a culture there that is scary....it seems to be more bad areas than good....what use to be safe areas to go to you do not want to get caught there at the wrong time....and the crime is seeping into all areas of the city and county...

I want to live in a place where I can feel safe at anytime of the day or night ...not just the daytime....in Roanoke its just not
safe when the sun goes down...and it's not safe in the daytime in a lot of places....

So to the friends and family I have in Roanoke and to all the other good people of the valley when you are out and about keep you eyes open and your guard up...the city you live in is changing and while some things are for the good many things are for the bad....watch your back your side and in front of you....

Old 02-25-2015, 10:01 PM

523 posts, read 655,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokebarry View Post
i want to live in a place where i can feel safe at anytime of the day or night ...not just the daytime....in roanoke its just not
safe when the sun goes down...and it's not safe in the daytime in a lot of places....
What a ridiculous statement. Please enlighten us about your experiences that warrant what you said above.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:33 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,160,813 times
I lived in Roanoke for 2 years as a single female, and now live in nearby Christiansburg and am still in Roanoke about once a week. I have never once felt unsafe in Roanoke. For reference, I worked downtown, and lived first in Grandin and then in the Bonsack area.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:35 AM

I'm wondering what part of Richmond feels safer than Roanoke. I am scared to even visit the Capital City.
I guess it's all in one's perception of what constitutes a threat to one's safety. There are certain neighborhoods
Like every town where crime is considered cool but in Roanoke, unlike Richmond it doesn't affect the downtown
Area. I am comfortable walking anywhere downtown at night. Roanokes' smaller population makes me feel
safer as there is still a bit of a small town vibe here.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:56 PM

363 posts, read 558,180 times
I call shenanigans. Yes crime happens in Roanoke and just like anywhere with a urban population. I have never felt unsafe in Roanoke. Now I have only lived in the NE, NW and now SW areas of the city so maybe you are referring to SE but even still there is no reason to feel unsafe day or night.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:06 AM

42 posts, read 63,330 times
I just wanted to add my 2 cents on Roanoke. I've lived in Christiansburg a few years ago for a short time. I've studied Roanoke as a place to relocate some years before that and have visited frequently while living in C'burg.
I was attracted to Roanoke but never made the move due to many of the reasons outlined in this thread.
I've lived in many cities over the years both big and small. I've seen what's going on in Roanoke in other similar size cities. Long time residents of small cities often seem to prefer to keep their towns small and resist change. They don't want their town to grow or evolve into something else. They'll vote people into positions of power that share the same ideals to keep things that way. That's not to say it's always good or healthy but it's peoples nature to resist change. It is what it is and outsiders coming in should be ready to accept that or be ready to be engaged in a long fight to make change happen which could take generations. You need a large group of people that share the same vision to put people in power that share that same vision which Roanoke does not have at this time nor likely to have anytime soon.
I think change happens much slower in the South compared to other areas as well. This may lead outsiders coming in or even natives to give up on change they've been fighting or hoping for to eventually leave. I think it takes a lot of dedicated people to stay for the long haul and stay the fight. If you really loved Roanoke, you'd stay and fight your fight for change even if it meant you might not see it in your lifetime or you can shrug your shoulders and say it's not worth it and move somewhere else where the community is already aligned with your ideals. The poster chose to leave and there's nothing wrong with that but if everyone shared that sentiment, Roanoke would not have many of the progressive changes you now see.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:45 PM

Long range, the Roanoke -Blacksburg- Lynchburg area has a strong economic future forecast. The "small town" vibe
Is still strong and comfortable for most residents here. All of our local "leaders" and "regional partnerships or councils"
are local people who stay in those roles for a lifetime and are really not aware other "competing" regions are much more
Successful in economic development. Roanoke County thinks bringing a Chicken joint to town is a good sign of economic
expansion. While Norfolk Southern sends 500 of our highest paying jobs to "Sh.t City" and the post office destroys
200 jobs here to Greensboro our local boys including our Mayor proclaims "We are heartbroken"....In essence the state of
VA has written off SW, Southside VA, generally everything south of C'ville in favor of NoVa, Richmond, HR. We have a lot of
obstacles to overcome in our state government with weak representation in this part of Va. Our present Gov sees the lopsided
dynamic at work and wants to help, at least. The strength of this area is the 90,000 students and our diversified economy. We
must build on the government/private sector in ensuring our future. Everyone knows the area has an enviable quality of life
But over time, through osmosis probably, we will grow into something new and exciting. Our local people who don't move away
must learn to see this regions future in the long term.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:05 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,115,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Living View Post
Long range, the Roanoke -Blacksburg- Lynchburg area has a strong economic future forecast. The "small town" vibe
Is still strong and comfortable for most residents here. All of our local "leaders" and "regional partnerships or councils"
are local people who stay in those roles for a lifetime and are really not aware other "competing" regions are much more
Successful in economic development. Roanoke County thinks bringing a Chicken joint to town is a good sign of economic
expansion. While Norfolk Southern sends 500 of our highest paying jobs to "Sh.t City" and the post office destroys
200 jobs here to Greensboro our local boys including our Mayor proclaims "We are heartbroken"....In essence the state of
VA has written off SW, Southside VA, generally everything south of C'ville in favor of NoVa, Richmond, HR. We have a lot of
obstacles to overcome in our state government with weak representation in this part of Va. Our present Gov sees the lopsided
dynamic at work and wants to help, at least. The strength of this area is the 90,000 students and our diversified economy. We
must build on the government/private sector in ensuring our future. Everyone knows the area has an enviable quality of life
But over time, through osmosis probably, we will grow into something new and exciting. Our local people who don't move away
must learn to see this regions future in the long term.
Immigration (both from out of state and out of country), education, and tourism are a huge asset to this region.

I'd love more diversification though. Healthcare and hotels aren't good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area