Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:00 PM

238 posts, read 339,449 times

Advertisements

I think a perfect spot for a Deschutes pub(or the next brewery) is the vacant No.1 Firehouse on Church Avenue, downtown.
Does anyone know what might go into that space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 12:23 PM

696 posts, read 1,432,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
In a related issue, I just read in Sunday's paper (Business section) that Hard Liquor sales continue to grow in the region, and as we all know, Micro-breweries are also the "new" thing. Wineries are also on the rise in the area.

Seems like we are becoming a very "alcoholic" region lately...
Don't forget moonshine.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:33 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,111,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
I think a perfect spot for a Deschutes pub(or the next brewery) is the vacant No.1 Firehouse on Church Avenue, downtown.
Does anyone know what might go into that space?
It's restricted to government, cultural or community use. So, government offices or operations; a community based organization use like a day care, senior center, health clinic, homeless shelter, etc; or it can be a museum or public art gallery. Currently, it can not be developed for any commercial use. I believe the city may have already determined it's use based on all the building permits they have pulled for renovations.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:43 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,415,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Don't forget moonshine.
Right, lol.

Although Moonshine was a way to survive during the Great Depression. Farmers and Country Folk did what they could to feed their families back then. But it was a tradition that was hard to die, in the years following.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,415,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
or it can be a museum
I believe I heard something about it being a Museum. In my opinion, it should be a Fireman's Museum. The Firefighting History in Roanoke is extensive. I can remember the Firehouse still in use, not that long ago.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:17 PM

216 posts, read 422,779 times
I'd have to think a spot on Reserve Ave would be sufficient. Yes, it's in a flood plane, but precautions would be made during construction.

If not there, somewhere in Roanoke County with easy access to the interstate. Bonsack area maybe.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:59 AM

238 posts, read 339,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
I'd have to think a spot on Reserve Ave would be sufficient. Yes, it's in a flood plane, but precautions would be made during construction.

If not there, somewhere in Roanoke County with easy access to the interstate. Bonsack area maybe.
Yes, the area around the Bridges would be ideal for a brew pub. Reserve Avenue is definately a hot area. I think a major
brewery coming to the valley would locate near the interstate in the County but the tourists would be downtown so a craft beer brewery would be a huge draw. I am also excited about the moonshine distillery in Franklin County which will selling legal
white lightnin' in 2016. This moonshine capital of Franklin County will not sit well with the Smith Mountain Lake folks but
it could become a major tourist draw there or even to Roanoke.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 AM

216 posts, read 422,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
Yes, the area around the Bridges would be ideal for a brew pub. Reserve Avenue is definately a hot area. I think a major
brewery coming to the valley would locate near the interstate in the County but the tourists would be downtown so a craft beer brewery would be a huge draw. I am also excited about the moonshine distillery in Franklin County which will selling legal
white lightnin' in 2016. This moonshine capital of Franklin County will not sit well with the Smith Mountain Lake folks but
it could become a major tourist draw there or even to Roanoke.
The only reason I mentioned a location near interstate access is because Deschutes wants this to be a east coast distribution facility as well as a brew pub. I'd imagine, getting tractor trailers to navigate in and out of downtown wouldn't be the most ideal.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:39 AM

2,285 posts, read 4,082,754 times
I'm not a drinker - don't even drink sodas anymore - but I can't see that a craft brewery is going to contribute heavily to the level of intoxication issues - of which there are many for sure....

If intoxication is the destination, then specialty beers is probably not the best way to get there, best as I can tell!

Old 12-08-2015, 10:17 AM

696 posts, read 1,432,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I'm not a drinker - don't even drink sodas anymore - but I can't see that a craft brewery is going to contribute heavily to the level of intoxication issues - of which there are many for sure....

If intoxication is the destination, then specialty beers is probably not the best way to get there, best as I can tell!
Well... craft beers tend to be higher in alcohol content than mass-produced beers. Craft breweries only have limited hours but they're much more than tasting rooms. With tables, food trucks, live music and activities (corn hole, trivia contests, ping pong, etc.) they're not just a place where you go for a flight.

They don't add to the problem but they count as much as any restaurant would, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area