Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:28 AM

216 posts, read 423,232 times

Advertisements

They don't add to the problem but they count as much as any restaurant would, IMO.[/quote]

This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 10:40 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,419,728 times
The only thing about a restaurant though is the main reason you are going there is for the food, basically speaking. The alcohol is just about always secondary.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Well... craft beers tend to be higher in alcohol content than mass-produced beers.
That is something that I did not know.

Reminds me about a funny story though. I used to drink some years ago and know a little of what it is like. Now one day I was at a friend's house and she asked me if I wanted a beer. I told her how I didn't drink anymore and she said "here, have this one, it is non-alcohol". I said OK and drank it on the way home. Now when I'm tired late in the day, as well as hungry, alcohol can hit me quicker. I'm on the way home and all of a sudden I'm feeling the effects of it, lol. I said, no it just must be the taste of it I am referring it to. Well I kept drinking it and it got a little worse, lol. I said, "oh heck, she gave me the wrong bottle" !! I looked at it and it said "Non-Alcohol".

The next day, I told her about it and she told me that even though it is non-alcohol, there is still about 2% in it.

Last edited by 16 Acres; 12-08-2015 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-08-2015, 04:03 PM

238 posts, read 340,072 times
A few years ago I visited London and my friend and I walked into a British pub for some fish and chips. Of course everyone in
the pub were enjoying various kinds of beer. I took a few sips of the house brand and I was blown away. In America our beer
is really watered down so we walked out of the pub after one glass. I am looking forward to trying some of Deschutes beers
if they come here. Deschutes could have their operation near the interstate but run a pub downtown. I believe they run a small
pub/restaurant in the town of Bend Oregon.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:55 AM

2,285 posts, read 4,094,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
The only thing about a restaurant though is the main reason you are going there is for the food, basically speaking. The alcohol is just about always secondary.
Except maybe in Virginia where restaurants undergo a personality change around 9:30 p.m. (Since a drinking place has to get a certain percentage of its revenue from food sales.)

Old 12-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Well, at least it's safe till 9:30 at night, lol.

(I was going to put in that "whistling" smiley, but I see we don't have one, lol)

Old 12-09-2015, 11:53 AM

2,285 posts, read 4,094,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Well, at least it's safe till 9:30 at night, lol.

(I was going to put in that "whistling" smiley, but I see we don't have one, lol)
I'm such a boring person I had no idea.....until I started Uber driving.....and learned a few things about late night Roanoke!

Old 12-09-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
until I started Uber driving
I didn't even know we had Uber in this area. I just did a little research on it, interesting.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:29 PM

125 posts, read 154,877 times
Deschutes ...if you’re watching - this Oregonian has relocated (or is in the process of) to Virginia. And being that two of my favorite beers, Black Butte & Mirror Pond, need to be readily available to this side of the nation - from all I’ve seen of the region (roaming the hills for 5 months) - Roanoke would be an excellent location choice!

Personally, I’m moving to Floyd… a rocks throw away.. but not as close to the transportation corridor that I-81 is. And Asheville NC - too rugged, like navigating the Cascades.. Cool folks, but too isolated and treacherous. Tennessee, not East enough … and South Carolina.. too far South… W/ hurricanes, flooding and earthquake potential..

Roanoke’s ready. They’ve the ‘industrial capacity,’ an educated workforce, cheap (as compared to Ore.) land… and already a ‘craft-brew vibe.’ I’m a Native Portlander… so you Lava Bears may be thinkin a bit different ..but in the scheme of things - you’d not go crazy wrong in VA or Roanoke. It’s ripe. I bit!

Old 12-11-2015, 07:08 AM

192 posts, read 258,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
Yes, the area around the Bridges would be ideal for a brew pub. Reserve Avenue is definately a hot area. I think a major
brewery coming to the valley would locate near the interstate in the County but the tourists would be downtown so a craft beer brewery would be a huge draw. I am also excited about the moonshine distillery in Franklin County which will selling legal
white lightnin' in 2016. This moonshine capital of Franklin County will not sit well with the Smith Mountain Lake folks but
it could become a major tourist draw there or even to Roanoke.
I'm curious about the reference to the Smith Mountain Lake folks. My wife and I are considering Bedford County as a potential new home following retirement. The real estate websites show some really nice properties, some with reasonable prices, in the lake area. Is there something 'special' about the residents in those parts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area