Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 PM

567 posts, read 2,145,218 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's not a good time for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,627,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Okay by me. February is insane. We're in the middle of figuring out a transition plan to convert from country to city mice, and if you know where we live and what we have, you get the idea.

Sean
SEAN! You mean your leaving Boones Mill!!??

Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,199,026 times
It's looking that way. We've got both girls going to North Cross in Roanoke, and as they get older we're making more and more frequent school related trips into Roanoke. And most of our friends are in the city. It's been over a year since we downsized our horse farm business, and really, at this point, our facilities would be better utilized by a couple who wanted a large equestrian operation. We'll definitely miss this place, it's pretty much one of a kind and you can't find it's equal within 50-100 miles. But we think living in the city would be a better fit for our evolving lifestyle. It's obviously not the best time to sell, but that goes both ways, so I think we'll do just fine.

I still love the Boones Mill area. We'll be renting in Roanoke for 1-2 years, clearing our heads and deciding if we ultimately prefer the city over the country. Maybe we'll get a city house, and then just buy some land for weekend trips, that we can build on when we retire in 20-30 years? Not sure yet.

Sean

Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 PM

174 posts, read 529,740 times
Wow Sean! I had to read that twice to make sure I saw it right. I totally understand what you are saying. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 PM

246 posts, read 783,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
It's looking that way. We've got both girls going to North Cross in Roanoke, and as they get older we're making more and more frequent school related trips into Roanoke. And most of our friends are in the city. It's been over a year since we downsized our horse farm business, and really, at this point, our facilities would be better utilized by a couple who wanted a large equestrian operation. We'll definitely miss this place, it's pretty much one of a kind and you can't find it's equal within 50-100 miles. But we think living in the city would be a better fit for our evolving lifestyle. It's obviously not the best time to sell, but that goes both ways, so I think we'll do just fine.

I still love the Boones Mill area. We'll be renting in Roanoke for 1-2 years, clearing our heads and deciding if we ultimately prefer the city over the country. Maybe we'll get a city house, and then just buy some land for weekend trips, that we can build on when we retire in 20-30 years? Not sure yet.

Sean
Welcome to the dark side! Now, let's put a conservation easement on that farm before you sell so you can capture all those tax benefits AND the sale price...

Have your people call my people.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:40 PM

810 posts, read 1,452,513 times
Do I want to pipe in here?

I want to leave the cloud-covered Great Lakes area and Roanoke seems to have a nice combo of blue if you look up and green if you look down.

Does the subscribe button work on this forum (some don't)? Maybe I could stay in touch. Maybe I could coordinate a visit to case the place out and meet some of ya.

S

Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 AM

39 posts, read 92,958 times
Default Roanoke meet up

The moving truck is loading up the truck as I write this, and we should be moving into our rental house on Tuesday, February 24. I've read through this forum for about the past 6 months, and would love to meet some of the regular posters, if and when you decide on a get together. Luckily we have great weather today here in Colorado Springs, so getting all the stuff (and I have a lot of stuff) in the moving van isn't as bad as if it would have been if it was snowing, or as windy as it was on Tuesday. My husband and I will hit the road for Roanoke on Saturday, and hopefully we will be in the area by Monday.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:58 PM

696 posts, read 1,432,705 times
Hey chaoticnot, welcome to Roanoke! You've had some great weather this week for moving in & getting settled. Have you been up to the star yet?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 AM

39 posts, read 92,958 times
Smile Made it to Roanoke

Well, we made it here on Monday, the moving van unloaded on Tuesday, and now I am trying to figure out what is what box. The movers packed us up, and they were not very accurate in describing what is in the boxes. Also, the unloading process took all day, as the driver of the moving van could not get his large truck up the winding and hilly roads, so he had to make three trips in a smaller truck. We had nice weather for the unloading though, and today is my first gray, cloudy day here in VA.

I have found most people to be very friendly and welcoming. I think we will like it here!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,199,026 times
I'd like a good soaking of rain with this storm. We're up to only 0.75" of rain this month, that's quite low for February.

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area