Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 AM

895 posts, read 2,095,460 times

Advertisements

Sounds like some folks are headed to Roanoke. I'm most surprised by you, Sean, but I know the drill with school involvement. I'm a Lynchburger and I always try to give my city it's share of the limelight, but when my sister called and mentioned a desire to move out of the Raleigh area and her husband heard about an opening in Roanoke, I was excited. She and her family will be moving in Mid-March and will also be looking to rent while house-hunting. I actually directed her to the forum to see what you people say about the town (I told her to ignore any negative comments about Lburg!). From everything they've read and heard they are excited about his new job and their new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoticnot View Post
Well, we made it here on Monday, the moving van unloaded on Tuesday, and now I am trying to figure out what is what box. The movers packed us up, and they were not very accurate in describing what is in the boxes. Also, the unloading process took all day, as the driver of the moving van could not get his large truck up the winding and hilly roads, so he had to make three trips in a smaller truck. We had nice weather for the unloading though, and today is my first gray, cloudy day here in VA.

I have found most people to be very friendly and welcoming. I think we will like it here!

Welcome to Roanoke Va.! If you like great people, and wonderful views you will absolutely love Roanoke. Its great to have someone behind you hold the door open for you, strangers wave at you, and small conversations with someone at the gas station or grocery store. What part of town did you move to? And we would love for you to join us at our meet up. When ever that will be! You picked a good time to move here because Spring is right around the corner and to me spring is one of the prettiest months here, well it comes very close to fall which is great because of the changing leaves. I heard some talk of a large winter store comming in at the end of the weekend, but we will see if that really happens. Again welcome to Roanoke and let me know (private message me) if you have any questions about the area. -Teebyrd

Old 02-27-2009, 01:33 PM

567 posts, read 2,140,979 times
Hey all,

Sorry I'm dropping the ball on getting this organized! I just got tickets today for an overseas trip (yahoo! a new adventure!)

If you want to organize a meet-up earlier - by all means don't wait around for me!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:19 PM

39 posts, read 92,798 times
Teebyrd, thanks for the welcome. Coming from Colorado, I'm used to winter storms, the moving guys laughed at me, when they saw how many snow shovels I had, they didn't think I would be using them much!

On one of my visits here, back in January, I visited your Ukrops store, and I look forward to spending more time there. I have gone to the Krogers on Brambleton/221, but didn't find everything that I am used to, although I did shop at King Soopers in Colorado, which is the same store. I also used to shop at Whole Foods, and Ukrops reminded me of a smaller version of it. What department do you work in?

I'm tired of unpacking boxes, it just doesn't seem to end (I have a lot of stuff). Also, I moved from a larger house, over 4000+ square feet, to a slightly smaller one, with much less kitchen space. I haven't gotten a chance to get out and enjoy Roanoke yet, probably will take me a little while. As I am going back to CO next week to do a women's ski camp at Breckenridge.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,363 times
I brought a snow shovel from Vermont when we first moved to Blacksburg in 2004. It was used once or twice during the winter there. We've since lived in the Roanoke area for 4 years and I haven't yet used the show shovel. I'd dispose of it but the Vermonter in me just can't let it go!

Sean

Old 03-01-2009, 06:14 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoticnot View Post
Teebyrd, thanks for the welcome. Coming from Colorado, I'm used to winter storms, the moving guys laughed at me, when they saw how many snow shovels I had, they didn't think I would be using them much!

On one of my visits here, back in January, I visited your Ukrops store, and I look forward to spending more time there. I have gone to the Krogers on Brambleton/221, but didn't find everything that I am used to, although I did shop at King Soopers in Colorado, which is the same store. I also used to shop at Whole Foods, and Ukrops reminded me of a smaller version of it. What department do you work in?

I'm tired of unpacking boxes, it just doesn't seem to end (I have a lot of stuff). Also, I moved from a larger house, over 4000+ square feet, to a slightly smaller one, with much less kitchen space. I haven't gotten a chance to get out and enjoy Roanoke yet, probably will take me a little while. As I am going back to CO next week to do a women's ski camp at Breckenridge.

I wish we had more snow here but, the snow today has been the best yet this season and I will take what I can get. I am in charge of the produce department, next time your in look for a tall guy in the produce area, most likely its me, my name is J.T. I am glad you liked Ukrop's in time I am hopeing it catches on here. Have fun on your camping trip!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 AM

95 posts, read 185,495 times
Default If it's not too late...

We're officially coming April 7th. So if the ball gets dropped until then maybe we can make it.

Last edited by Mt.Hope; 03-12-2009 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 AM

Default Forum meet up

Well, officially I have now lived here in Roanoke since Feb 23, but I went back to Colorado for a week for a women's ski camp in Breckenridge, so I can't really say I have been here more that just a few weeks. I wanted to comment about friendliness, I walk my dog in my neighborhood, we walk everyday, about 4 miles, and I can say that 99% of the people that drive by me wave hello to me!

I also got to meet Teebryd/JT at Ukrops in the produce department, what a nice young man! Still finding my way around, streets can be confusing, I drive Starkey Rd, Merriman Rd and in order to stay on them, you have to make turns. But I'm getting used to it.

Hope we can find some time to have a meet up, now that I can consider myself a "Roanoker".

Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 PM

567 posts, read 2,140,979 times
Plenty of time to plan (or plenty of time for something else to come up).

April 18?

April 25?

Or sooner? Next Saturday: March 28?

Old 03-20-2009, 04:58 PM

How about just setting the date, and those that can come, will. You will never get a date that will be perfect for everyone, so how about April 18?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area