Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:34 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,807,643 times

Advertisements

Richmond has very good race relations. And you're only and hour and a half from the beach.

The Shenandoah Valley as a whole is much whiter than the rest of Virginia. But it shouldn't be a problem. They have a group out that way called Melungeons. They are a mix of black, american indian, and whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 02:56 AM

359 posts, read 1,840,957 times
Do you currently live in the UK? Do you want to live coastal or inland. Roanoke is beautiful, but about 5 hours to the ocean.
Northern VA is very pretty, more liberal, but insanely expensive and congested. I am not sure about Richmond having good race relations. My sister has lived there 20 years. I will ask her, but I don't remember Richmond being known for that. Richmond is very cultural and progressive with lots of various ethnic groups present so maybe they do have good race relations.

I grew up in the Hampton/Newport News area. The races have civil relations, are accepting, work together in government, etc., but I don't sense that they embrace each other. I hope I don't get slammed for this, but in my opinion, blacks and whites in southeastern va seem stuck. I just can't put my finger on it. But the culture just doesn't seem like it has progressed much since I was a highschooler decades ago. Whites talk about blacks and blacks talk about whites. It's just sad. I don't live there anymore, but we visit my in-laws for 2 weeks annually.

I moved away to the midwest years ago and it is very different here. Lots of interracial couples, mixed nationality couples. Very open, very accepting. Very warm. My neighborhood, heck, my street is integrated with different races and interracial couples- hispanics, blacks, whites, and a russian! And everyone just treats everyone else like people. It is so different from what I sense in southeastern Va.

I know I just made a gross generalization, and frankly, I would love to be proven wrong. But race relations is one of the biggest reasons we don't want to move back, even to be near our families. Out here, my kids are growing up with a completely different perspective than I had. They play with friends of all different backgrounds on an almost daily basis.

Hopefully, others here can debunk my observations and be more helpful.
In the meantime, Richmond gets my vote because location is good for mountains or beach and lots of ethnicity. But I must bow humbly to "The Mayor" Seanpecor, who keeps me searching Franklin county just in case....

Old 03-23-2007, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 16,634 times
Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and we will continue to investigate Roanoke. We are only at the looking at realtors websites stage to get a feel for prices. This will sound dumb but I know you can tell "good areas" from bad by zip codes. Can anyone share any light as to what is considered as good vs bad in terms of zip codes or main streets. I have tried looking at crime statistics but find they are based on the last census and a lot can happen to an area since 2000. Once again, many thanks.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:48 AM
PJK

2 posts, read 7,287 times
Default A sensitive question....

Hi All,

I'm going to deviate from the race and nationality issue here, but staying with the original topic, I'm going to ask this......"As a 'Damn Yankee' from Massachusetts can I expect to go into culture shock if I retire in Franklin County"?

I believe I'm a regular guy, a conservative Republican, coming from a surburban area and enjoy off-roading (Jeep), motorcycling (Harley) and being active in the Local Elks Lodge. I have found all of these activities are available in the area and hope this will insure an instant rapport for my partner (female) and I, as we settle in.

Bottomline is: Will I expect to sense any hostility being a northerner?

Thanking everyone in advance for any honest opinions. I've already found so much invaluable info from this site.

PJK

Old 03-25-2007, 03:51 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJK View Post
Bottomline is: Will I expect to sense any hostility being a northerner? Thanking everyone in advance for any honest opinions. I've already found so much invaluable info from this site.
Absolutely no hostility whatsoever. If you greet folks you meet with a smile and a hello, you'll be treated the same in return. I know a large number of Yankees in Franklin County and I'm certain they would all say the same. I'm from Vermont, I'm a (fiscal conservative) Democrat, I'm an athiest, and if _I_ feel like I'm welcome here then I think you'll be just fine

Sean

Old 03-25-2007, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 42,223 times
Go to Northern Virginia!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:13 PM
PJK

2 posts, read 7,287 times
Thank you Seanpecor and Herculaneum for your replies!

PJK

Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 AM

26,702 posts, read 41,840,290 times
i don't think it a question of race but more of class. i used to live in two diff areas of the peninsula Hampton 2 mi from langley afb and york county within shouting distance from hampton city line. in hampton, there were no problems with white or black folks in my hood which was considered lower middle-class same thing with yc which was upper middle class all the races got along well. in yc the lack of embracement was more btwn blacks and minorites who lived closer to hampton (bethel manor and yorkshire downs) and the white folks who lived closer in YC (woods of tabb and running man). granted it wasn't like alabama in the 60's but more embracement could be had. but interracial couples were a common and beautiful thing. Herculaneum's advice ain't bad but the races don't really embrace each other here either.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 25,220 times
Default W'burg?

Hi,

Try W'burg if you don't want the hustle-bustle of Northern VA. The College of William and Mary has a good effect on the town and makes it more diverse. W'burg has many interesting people in the College milieu and many retired professionals from the North, who are generally liberal.

(There are still a few racists around here but I think they are generally too embarrassed to show they are--at least they have that much sense.)

Good luck,
AuntieMoon

Old 03-29-2007, 05:19 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,439,138 times
If your nice to people and try to overlook their shortcomings, they will grew to like you and befriend you, remember if we expect people to not like us, they usually will follow suit. I live in south Va and I can atest that most of us who are conservative are actually very nice people, liberal does not always equate tolerant! Not at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area