Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:30 PM

31 posts, read 151,296 times

Advertisements

Roanoke is very redneck and the valley/Augusta County is very slow and non-progressive!!!There is not any diversity here and it's a pretty intolerant place. I feel like I am living in another world. I would NOT reccommend any place west of Charlottesville, bi-racial or not.
Just because there are many bi-racial couples does NOT mean this couple would feel at home. there are plenty of ignorant people west of Afton Mountain. Move to Richmond or DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 11:28 AM

76 posts, read 223,700 times
I agree! You can't escape it. But some places are worst than others. Also, There are also other issues to deal with that are just as Bad.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:26 PM

8 posts, read 35,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJK View Post
...from Massachusetts ... a conservative Republican...
HOLY COW!!! Isn't that an oxymoron? LOL

Old 04-01-2007, 10:17 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,373 times
Yikes. I'd be worried too. Have you considered moving to a more liberal state like MA? Racism is a sad fact of life here in the U.S. and we know it can be worse in the south where people are less open minded.

Artie

Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJ View Post
Roanoke is very redneck and the valley/Augusta County is very slow and non-progressive!!!There is not any diversity here and it's a pretty intolerant place. I feel like I am living in another world. I would NOT reccommend any place west of Charlottesville, bi-racial or not.
Just because there are many bi-racial couples does NOT mean this couple would feel at home. there are plenty of ignorant people west of Afton Mountain. Move to Richmond or DC.
I think it's reasonable to suggest that everyone ignore YvetteJ's comments about Roanoke. She's now twice popped into discussions involving Roanoke and called Roanokers rednecks and I'm here to say she's flat out wrong and furthermore it's not even clear she's ever lived in the Roanoke Valley. There IS diversity in Roanoke, and the African American population by % is greater than the national average. Furthermore there is opportunity here for persons of every color and I'd hate people to read YvetteJ's post here and come away with the wrong impression of the Roanoke Valley. Read all of her posts and decide for yourself if she's being reasonable in her appraisal of Virginia, and more specifically, Roanoke, where she has apparently never lived.

Sean

Old 04-02-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Yikes. I'd be worried too. Have you considered moving to a more liberal state like MA? Racism is a sad fact of life here in the U.S. and we know it can be worse in the south where people are less open minded.
I completely disagree with your blanket statement regarding a southerners' open mindedness. I'm also mystified why anyone would recommend MA as opposed to VA to a person of color given that MA is one of the "whiter" states in the nation. In MA less than 7% of the population is black.

And, by the way, according to FBI statistics on hate crimes, of the top 10 states with the highest per capita incidence of race related hate crimes.... 8 out of 10 were "up north".

Sean

Last edited by seanpecor; 04-02-2007 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 04:56 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
Sadly, I've experienced racism in Northern Virginia and DC from time to time (including a racial slur yelled at me out a window, but perhaps I've been very unlucky - note I'm of Mexican descent). I experienced none at all in Charlottesville however. Charlottesville has a beautiful, very quaint, vibrant downtown and gorgeous countryside surrounding it. I'd highly recommend a visit. It would be a great choice for a place to retire. It has a great academic vibe with University of Virginia being right there, and is close to the Shenandoah Valley and Blue Ridge Mountains - another beautiful area Charlottesville has a great deal of diversity, yet people of different backgrounds seem very comfortable around each other, and the cost of living is much lower than Northern Virginia (which is crazy expensive). The only thing that drove (unintentional pun coming) me crazy in Charlottesville was that so many people drove 5 miles under the speed limit Note I'm conservative, but felt comfortable there despite most people being liberals (or so it seemed to me) - and the natives are very polite, warm, and charming. It's an interesting blend of North and South

I'm not familiar with Roanoke so can't comment on it.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymesma View Post
My husband and I are thinking of moving to the US and are interested in Virginia in general and the Roanoke area in particular. I am American and black, he is English and white. We are in our late fifties and this will be our retirement home so employment is not an issue. Can anyone discuss what if any problems we might encounter because of being inter-racial and him being English. I like to think that any problems might be minimal but I am also a realist and know that race is still an issue in America.

Thanks for any input.
Hello, I am originally from the Lynchburg Virginia area, born and raised, Living in Florida at this time, which I am moving to Roanoke in a couple of months. I am almost 50 years young and have dated (white) outside my race since I was old enough to date, and have traveled a lot to different states. I feel there is some race issues all over, its who you are as a person that determines if you will have problems or not. As I have stated I have dated outside as well as married outside my race all my life and I have found that people look because they are curious, more so than that they are racist. I am planning to marry once I get to Roanoke and my husband is a man and what I mean by that, if you don't put emphasis on the fact that your husband and or boyfriend/girlfriend is of a different race, no one really cares anyway. To this day I have never had anyone treat me and or my husband/boyfriend any different nor speak to me out of the way, or even make any racial remarks. If you want to move to Roanoke do so, just be yourself, and you will love being there. As for the zip codes, what I would do is call the Roanoke police department and ask them if they can forward you statistics on the crime in different zipcode related areas. Sometimes the Roanoke sheriffs department has a web site where you can find out what police calls where made to a particular neighborhood. Maybe I will see you in Roanoke, I moving there the end of July 2007. Enjoy your retierment.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:10 PM

This re-invigorated thread reminded me of a funny Time Mag article I read recently http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...615172,00.html

Sean

Old 05-02-2007, 03:56 PM

238 posts, read 227,774 times
I agree with the poster who said that in Southeastern Virginia there is racial tension. I felt the same thing when I was visiting there. I feel the blacks there are particularly hostile towards whites and perhaps vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area