Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times

Advertisements

The US is SO racist that we elected a black President!!! The racism is all around, run!!!...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 12:14 PM

26 posts, read 60,522 times
We are moving to Roanoke to retire too! Y'all come over for dinner and we'll chat and get tipply. What kind of English beer do you like? What!? No beer? Hmmmm... Don't know if I can associate with a non-beer drinker. ;-)

Old 09-24-2009, 11:31 AM

12 posts, read 48,278 times
We are considering moving to Roanoke in a year. I'm white and my husband is Asian Indian (dark skinned). This scares me!

Neo-Nazi is returned to jail amid bond appeal
The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals will weigh in on whether White is a threat to the community.

Neo-Nazi leader William A. White was sent back to jail Wednesday by a federal appeals court.

White, who is charged with threatening people by e-mail and online, was released on a $25,000 bond last week by U.S. District Court Judge James Turk.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Next time please provide a link to the original source

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2009 at 04:24 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM

120 posts, read 316,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pealow View Post
We are considering moving to Roanoke in a year. I'm white and my husband is Asian Indian (dark skinned). This scares me!
Racism like this scares us, too. I hope I can put your fears to rest. We're a multi-racial family. We adopted our children from Africa, South America and the Far East.

Since moving to Roanoke, we haven't run into any outright racism. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Clearly, as the article stated above, it happens. It's everywhere.

We've been accepted with open arms. My older boys, both teenagers and black, are happy we moved to Roanoke. This is the first time that they feel totally accepted by their peers.

Their are inter-racial couples living in our neighborhood and they've never voiced any concern over racism, either.

I hope you find Roanoke welcoming. We did. It was a nice surprise.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:26 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pealow View Post

Neo-Nazi is returned to jail amid bond appeal
The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals will weigh in on whether White is a threat to the community.

Neo-Nazi leader William A. White was sent back to jail Wednesday by a federal appeals court.

White, who is charged with threatening people by e-mail and online, was released on a $25,000 bond last week by U.S. District Court Judge James Turk.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Next time please provide a link to the original source
In a city of 93,000 people (like Roanoke), there's always going to be "that guy".
This is a one-man campaign that happens to stand out because that sort of hate just isn't the norm around here.

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2009 at 04:24 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
As an African American I have unfortunately experienced racism in Roanoke.
I have never felt that my safety was in any way threatened. And I also realize that racism can happen anywhere. But lets not pretend it does not happen in Roanoke as well. Unfortunately it occurs more often than we would like to admit and certainly more than we would hope for.

That being said, Roanoke is too beautiful to let a couple of backwards idiots ruin it for me. I wouldn't think twice about moving to Roanoke (if I didn't already live here)

Old 09-25-2009, 07:36 AM

120 posts, read 316,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
As an African American I have unfortunately experienced racism in Roanoke.
I have never felt that my safety was in any way threatened. And I also realize that racism can happen anywhere. But lets not pretend it does not happen in Roanoke as well. Unfortunately it occurs more often than we would like to admit and certainly more than we would hope for.

That being said, Roanoke is too beautiful to let a couple of backwards idiots ruin it for me. I wouldn't think twice about moving to Roanoke (if I didn't already live here)
I'm waiting for it to happen to happen with my kids. Honestly, we're surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccamp View Post
I'm waiting for it to happen to happen with my kids. Honestly, we're surprised it hasn't happened yet.
Hopefully they won't have to go through it at all.

Roanoke is a surprisingly diverse place and it continues to grow more diverse.
In my high school I had Black, White, Japanese, Mexican, Korean, Honduran, Haitian, Sudanese, Kenyan, (and others) classmates/friends. Yet I never noticed any real problem between the groups. I think Roanoke as a whole handles diversity very well. Those who don't will have to adapt or just get left behind as we move forward.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
The US is SO racist that we elected a black President!!! The racism is all around, run!!!...

Clearly from what others have said racism is still around. I think if anything electing a black president has brought racism in people to the surface.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 13,912 times
Default Just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
let me throw a different spin on this...

Please do not move to Roanoke, VA unless you want to live somewhere beautiful, with excellent scenery, tons of nature and outdoor activities, four real seasons, and a non-prohibitive cost of living.
I was suckered here by the mountains and most of the people that I have met who aren't from here love it here.

I'm sure that racism is alive and well here in Roanoke just like every other place in the entire world.
Please note that Roanoke is not one of the most racist cities in the (barely) south.
Definitely google and find out more before you make that move to anywhere!
non-prohibitive cost of living...interesting....agreed that it is beautiful there...I love the mountains and I was born and raised in that area. However the scenery is not what she was concerned about and not ever other place in the entire world is as racist ...not only racist but concerned with "who knows who"...it is a small southern city after all. Surrounded by small southern towns...in-between the mountains...Rocky Mount, Boones Mill, Troutville....don't think Cave Springs is a town but hey, have you checked out the "scenery" in that part of town. Actually Roanoke is still pretty segregated as far as where people live....just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area