Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:51 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times

Advertisements

I agree with you on the texans for the most part.....but look above and you'll see that there are DEFINITELY Rochesterians who say bad things about where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 09:08 AM

121 posts, read 382,828 times
Unshackle Upstate

under get involved, there are things we can "try" to do

Old 07-28-2007, 09:22 AM

5 posts, read 25,047 times
[quote=i'minformed;1158722]if you don't get it....you must not be as educated and superior or "above Rochester" as you think.....the ranking is for MIDDLE CLASS FAMILIES....not wealthy ivy league elites...it's talking about people who went to community college, or state schools (such as those you mentioned above), which is the majority of people in Upstate NY and accross the country. ...

well, that is a pretty ignorant statement. You have no idea what backgrounds these people came from and if you did, I think you'd be ridiculously surprised. actually these people came from middle class families, heck, I'd even say lower middle class. We were just kids of mechanics, farmers, teachers, Kodak workers "on the line", that did well in school and believed that the best schools would give you the best future. A lot of hard work from the people I talk about, and I mean studying in libraries 8 hours on weekends and a lot more rigor involved. Nothing snobby about it, and if I could go back, I'd choose a state school. Plus, coming out of school burdened with 4 years of debt on your shoulder (and I am talking over 60k in a lot of people's cases), and then see how friendly a place like upstate NY is. Give me a break, we HAD to move away just to pay back Uncle Sam.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:47 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Fine...you win...Rochester is a horrible place to live and nobody who won't settle for a 30k or less a year job will ever be happy there and they will all leave. Nothing will ever get better because absolutely nobody cares about that hole on the shore of Lake Ontario.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 25,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Fine...you win...Rochester is a horrible place to live and nobody who won't settle for a 30k or less a year job will ever be happy there and they will all leave. Nothing will ever get better because absolutely nobody cares about that hole on the shore of Lake Ontario.

Now without the sarcasm, Rochester rocks and I'd love to return home. From reading the messages on this board, I am not the only one who wants to come back but can't.

Best of luck in your move if you're the one guy moving.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:37 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,516,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
This is really a joke. I have lived in upstate ny all my life. Rochester is ranked number 1 for middle class because it is cheap for houses. The economy is a joke.The people that are leaving are not the old people like most people say. It is mostly brain drain. It is my age group 23-34 years old that just finished college and want to start a good career that are leaving. I lived in rochester and surrounding area's from 1978 to 1997 which then moved near syracuse for college. Then moved to albany in the end of 1998. Which I then moved back to rochester in 2004 and have been here since. I have found that rochester is a place that has some major challenges that will hinder the city and suburbs for the next 50 to 100 years. Looking back on the history of rochester it was a amazing city that was very political and was a leader in a lot of industries. Today it is a decline. There are no jobs. It is a cheap place to live because the poverty rate is very high in most areas of the city and suburbs. Education and enterainment is not even compared to a typical city.Rochester like the rest of New York is in a decline and most of the youth is leaving. so the articles like the one that this post is about should not be a suprise. It is a sale. Think about this does anyone have to tell you if you have a great thing. Some times things are too good to be true.
The poverty rate is high in the city of Rochester but extremely low in all of the suburbs there!

Old 07-29-2007, 05:26 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidascope View Post
... (and I am talking over 60k in a lot of people's cases), and then see how friendly a place like upstate NY is. Give me a break, we HAD to move away just to pay back Uncle Sam.
Over $60k in debt for an undergrad degree? That is pretty ridiculous anywhere in the country. Basically a small mortgage payment. When you put it like that, of course people who graduated from state schools can stay put. They aren't drowning in private school debt. So basically there are jobs, just not ones that will subsidize dumb financial decisions in hindsight.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:24 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
There are three groups of people that will never say anything bad about where there are from (I'm totally serious about this):

Rochesterians
Buckeyes
Texans

I should add that I am on the fence about this issue. I think if you make $50k+ and live in the 'burbs, you're good. Everything else is a waste of time. I read an interview with Greg Graffin (Greg is the lead singer of Bad Religion, and he lives in Ithaca. Bad Religion has a lot of politically charged songs) and the interviewer asked him about the new record being less political, and he said, "it's hard to get worked up when you live in Ithaca because life is good here." The whole upstate region ain't bad if you have meaningful employment.

There are days when I want to move back to Rochester and there are days that I am glad I don't live there.
off topic but he should move back to california. His new stuff is boring. give me the politically charged stuff from the 80s and early 90s

Old 07-29-2007, 03:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
This is really a joke. I have lived in upstate ny all my life. Rochester is ranked number 1 for middle class because it is cheap for houses. The economy is a joke.The people that are leaving are not the old people like most people say. It is mostly brain drain. It is my age group 23-34 years old that just finished college and want to start a good career that are leaving. I lived in rochester and surrounding area's from 1978 to 1997 which then moved near syracuse for college. Then moved to albany in the end of 1998. Which I then moved back to rochester in 2004 and have been here since. I have found that rochester is a place that has some major challenges that will hinder the city and suburbs for the next 50 to 100 years. Looking back on the history of rochester it was a amazing city that was very political and was a leader in a lot of industries. Today it is a decline. There are no jobs. It is a cheap place to live because the poverty rate is very high in most areas of the city and suburbs. Education and enterainment is not even compared to a typical city.Rochester like the rest of New York is in a decline and most of the youth is leaving. so the articles like the one that this post is about should not be a suprise. It is a sale. Think about this does anyone have to tell you if you have a great thing. Some times things are too good to be true.
For the "everything has two sides" argument: I have a daughter and son-in-law who both went to UB (state school), moved to CT then to Albany now are back home in Rochester, just bought a home in Brighton and are making excellent money for two kids in their 20s (lawyer and NP at Strong).,,,hard to tell them to move out of state when they are doing as well as they are! And when I look at the constant growth of high end homes around Mendon, Pittsford for both young families and retirees, there must be money somewhere in this area!!!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 AM

41 posts, read 138,627 times
They must be working at Wegman's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area