Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:57 PM

897 posts, read 2,458,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnemaster View Post
They must be working at Wegman's.
What are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 05:27 PM

22 posts, read 64,024 times
The people that will have the easiest time finding jobs are certain categories of professions: lawyers, health care professionals, computer people, and engineers. They are in demand everywhere. But this isn't really the "middle" class. It is more upper middle to me. I am finding it hard to say that the middle class exists anywhere in NY. It is being wiped out by the very rich & then the welfare recipients. Rich & poor is what most of our great upstate NY towns are being faced with. Rochester & Albany come to mind where there is still a middle class presence. Rochester's middle class appears to be shrinking to me though.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:29 PM

and is this whole thread a ploy from real-estate professionals in light of the recent groundwater contamination stories out of Victor, Walworth, and Sweden? hmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:01 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,597,607 times
I think you have it backwards...I think Rochester and Albany, with somewhat more affluent residents, have the smaller middle classes than Syracuse and Buffalo....but all 4 upstate metros all have much larger middle class populations than much of the country....certainly more than the NYC/Long Island area...which I would agree, has virtually no middle class left.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:09 PM

yeah, I agree.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 AM

897 posts, read 2,458,557 times
how do you define middle class? I think Rochester and western ny are mostly in lower middle class where as albany is middle. The city of rochester is below middle class. But it really depends on the neigborhoods. But here is a point Mendon, victor, and pittsford are consider uppermiddle class to rochester area people. Most people that live in those area's are business professionals. The only issue is when you compare Rochesters wealthly neighborhoods to other cities wealthly neighborhoods you find out that rochesters are more middle class than upper middle. I believe middle class depends on local economy and purchasing power.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:47 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,722,079 times
I'd say middle class depends on your local metro area. There are good sized middle class communities in all of the upstate cities compared to other areas of the country. No city or metro in upstate really has a "larger" middle class than the other.
In Boston a blue collar person might be considered lower middle class where in Buffalo that same blue collar person may be considered middle middle class since they have more purchasing power and disposable income.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:53 PM

292 posts, read 726,006 times
Lightbulb rochester quality of life compared to other places

Just wanted to put my two cents in..was raised in Rochester, moved out west for a change a few years back, and can definitely say that suburban Rochester's quality of life in terms of raising a family, lack of traffic, short commute times and cheap housing despite the high property taxes justify its position for middle class families. Granted, while the economy is sub par compared to the rest of the nation--the southern tier sure makes it look good though!--I have faith that relatively low tax suburbs like Henrietta can turn the place around, slowly but surely. While I'm in the process of moving to the southeast, I will say at least upstate doesn't have to deal with alot of nasty problems most of this nation faces, from overcrowding schools, disgusting traffic, rampant road rage, and illegal immigration. Granted they are present, but are minuscule compared to the Southwest.

At least the bad areas are concentrated in the city, and you know where to avoid them. In places like New Mexico and Arizona, it's very hard to find neighborhoods with the same kind of safety a place like Pittsford or Webster has. If I ever am lucky enough to get an offer to move back, I just may do it for the sake of knowing there's still a safe place to raise a family.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 PM

205 posts, read 456,745 times
Wow. Seems like some really polarized opinions on this thread...

My wife and I (and two kids) are considering relocating to Rochester. I grew up there, but left after college 19 years ago...

Seems like there are serious crime problems growing in certain areas in the city limits. Several of the Eastern suburbs rate very highly for schools and safety. Property taxes are really high compared to other places to live.

How is the safety in the Park Ave area?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:34 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,080,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
Wow. Seems like some really polarized opinions on this thread...

My wife and I (and two kids) are considering relocating to Rochester. I grew up there, but left after college 19 years ago...

Seems like there are serious crime problems growing in certain areas in the city limits. Several of the Eastern suburbs rate very highly for schools and safety. Property taxes are really high compared to other places to live.

How is the safety in the Park Ave area?
Park Ave is very safe and an absolutely lovely, upscale area....the violent parts of Rochester are fairly restricted to certain areas of the inner city. I know that may sound like I'm rationalizing it but it is what it is. Duffy is working hard at turning it around but a sad reality is that the culture is so entrenched in itself that changing it around is not going to happen over night....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area