Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,677,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecar View Post
Both of you represent Rochester well. Thank you.
Well, don't what to tell you, but I don't live in Rochester and I'm not from Rochester. Not my fault your posts don't make any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrion14621 View Post
Why does matt keep making sock accounts…
Too much free time?

Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 AM

6 posts, read 16,339 times
Smile grass isn't greener

So I moved from Rochester to Orlando 3 yrs ago to get away from the crazy taxes/political environment we had to deal with , and got a beautiful brand new 3100 sq ft home with a property tax of only $3K. AND no state income tax- $$$ in our pockets!! yay!....then after two years of ridiculous heat, no season changes, ugly, horrible terrain, NO WEGMANS, and a hundred other things, my husband and I are ready to come back!

Sometimes you don't know what you got until its gone. I cannot wait for winter- born and raised in Buffalo, NY so I welcome it arms wide open. There is nothing like the first signs of spring after a long winter, and the first signs of autumn after a long enough summer. And don't get me started on the quality of health care in central FL. Its all about quantity, not quality. I worked as an RN at the U of R for 10 yrs before my husband dragged me away, and no hospital here can even compare. I almost quit the nursing field because I was just disgusted with the poor quality care that seems to be promoted in central Florida.

I will miss some things- as a Disney fanatic being able to get in my car and go whenever we feel like it is the greatest, being able to swim almost 8 months of the year, more if we were brave, really beautiful sunsets, and the weather from Dec-late Feb is perfect.

Unfortunately, the new gun laws being pushed by Cuomo will prevent a return to NY, so Pittsburgh or Erie ,PA is looking like our next adventure.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,616,147 times
Pittsburgh is a really great city. Very vibrant economy, great schools, beautiful scenery and very little crime. I consider Pittsburgh the model city for "rust belt comeback" potential. Healthcare there is probably up to your standards as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,275,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnyborn View Post

Unfortunately, the new gun laws being pushed by Cuomo will prevent a return to NY, so Pittsburgh or Erie ,PA is looking like our next adventure.
You're kidding. Aren't you?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnyborn View Post
So I moved from Rochester to Orlando 3 yrs ago to get away from the crazy taxes/political environment we had to deal with , and got a beautiful brand new 3100 sq ft home with a property tax of only $3K. AND no state income tax- $$$ in our pockets!! yay!....then after two years of ridiculous heat, no season changes, ugly, horrible terrain, NO WEGMANS, and a hundred other things, my husband and I are ready to come back!

Sometimes you don't know what you got until its gone.
I lasted 2 1/2 years in South Carolina before I came running back to New York. I live in a different area than I'm originally from, but I am happier than I've ever been! And I am LOVING 4 seasons!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM

46 posts, read 65,297 times
The people that say they like winter here are the ones that can't relocate and are in denial. Unless, of course you're a diehard skier or into snowmobiling. You might not be able to relocate for financial reasons , family, work, etc. Ok, so you go sledding once or twice a year..... yipee! What do you do the rest of the long dreadful winter? I'll tell you.... You break your back shoveling, get sad cause there is no sun, scrape ice in the morning before work and often after, say "Damn , it's cold out there!" and talk about how cold it is with others, imagine what it would be like if you were in a better climate or leave for vacation to a better climate . I could list some more activities, but I have to go turn up the heat!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc8869 View Post
The people that say they like winter here are the ones that can't relocate and are in denial. Unless, of course you're a diehard skier or into snowmobiling. You might not be able to relocate for financial reasons , family, work, etc. Ok, so you go sledding once or twice a year..... yipee! What do you do the rest of the long dreadful winter? I'll tell you.... You break your back shoveling, get sad cause there is no sun, scrape ice in the morning before work and often after, say "Damn , it's cold out there!" and talk about how cold it is with others, imagine what it would be like if you were in a better climate or leave for vacation to a better climate . I could list some more activities, but I have to go turn up the heat!
Sorry, but you're not correct. There are people who have relocated and come back. My family did exactly that. I was never a huge fan of winter, but I decided winter was a hell of a lot better than 100+ degrees for weeks on end. So when I moved back I made the decision to learn to enjoy winter. And so far I am very much enjoying it. I'm actually bummed out that the snow has all melted. I had a white Christmas for the first time in years and it was AWESOME! I'm going to learn how to snowshoe this winter if we get snow again. If not, I'm still going to attempt it at Bristol since they're making it. Next year I hope to learn how to cross country ski at Bristol and snow mobile up in Old Forge.

Winter isn't that long. It's MUCH shorter than summer in the deep South. Trust me. Air conditioning went on by St Patrick's Day and was on until the week of Thanksgiving. The a/c bills are almost as much as the heat bills up here. I had an electric co-op so they were less. If you have a regular utility company like the development next to me who was in city limits, then your bill is much higher.

Not sure why you need to turn your heat since it's been very warm out for this time of year.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,616,147 times
Yeah...Matt's delusions are pretty funny. If I'm not mistaken, most of the regular Rochester posters on this forum are either transplants or "boomerangs" like myself (it is technically a relocation forum after all so that makes sense). Not people who are "stuck" and have never been anywhere else and need to try to make themselves believe blah blah blah...same tired mantra, different username.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM

46 posts, read 65,297 times
So, you made a decision to learn to enjoy it? Hmmm. Where in this country is it 100+ for weeks (or I'm assuming you're exaggerating)?

I'll agree with you about the snow. It is beautiful to look at. I wouldn't mind having it everyday as long as it was warm (80's).

You want to snowmobile in old forge where it gets below zero frequently and rarely gets snow nowadays? Is it really worth the 2 hour drive and having the snowmobiles?

I guess you're winter not being long and summers in the south comment depends on who you talk to. Everybody has a different temperature preference/ tolerance. I don't trust anyone.

Where did you relocate from and what age are you if you don't mind me asking?

It's not the snow that is the problem. It is the cold. NOBODY likes it cold. You just learn to live with it such as you did. As I was posting last night it was 28 degrees. You're telling me your heat wasn't going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Sorry, but you're not correct. There are people who have relocated and come back. My family did exactly that. I was never a huge fan of winter, but I decided winter was a hell of a lot better than 100+ degrees for weeks on end. So when I moved back I made the decision to learn to enjoy winter. And so far I am very much enjoying it. I'm actually bummed out that the snow has all melted. I had a white Christmas for the first time in years and it was AWESOME! I'm going to learn how to snowshoe this winter if we get snow again. If not, I'm still going to attempt it at Bristol since they're making it. Next year I hope to learn how to cross country ski at Bristol and snow mobile up in Old Forge.

Winter isn't that long. It's MUCH shorter than summer in the deep South. Trust me. Air conditioning went on by St Patrick's Day and was on until the week of Thanksgiving. The a/c bills are almost as much as the heat bills up here. I had an electric co-op so they were less. If you have a regular utility company like the development next to me who was in city limits, then your bill is much higher.

Not sure why you need to turn your heat since it's been very warm out for this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area