Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 AM

93,976 posts, read 124,814,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
It dosent get above 90 anywhere in SC for more than a day or 2 in the summer its usually 82-85 at it highest.
This is not true. My mother is from SC originally and I did my Basic Training at Fort Jackson, just outside of Columbia. It was so hot during one of the last weeks of Basic, that the Army made us roll up our pant legs and sleeves on our BDU's because it was 100 for every day that week, straight up. We were made to drink out of our canteens so we wouldn't get dehydrated and have heat stroke. So, it can get very hot and humid in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,616,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
It dosent get above 90 anywhere in SC for more than a day or 2 in the summer its usually 82-85 at it highest.
Ok I get the fact that you have different opinions about what is good vs bad ideal vs crappy but you REALLY need to stop with the blatantly false statements on things where you have NO idea what you aer talking about. It gets MUCH MUCH MUCH hotter than that in the Carolinas during summer...I know...I lived there for 13 years. Have you ever even been to these places down south you claim are so great? You claimed earlier that Miami was a safe city with great schools! hahahahah. Average temps of 82-85 at the highest is typical summer weather in ROCHESTER. Typical summer weather in most of the Carolinas outside the mountains of NC is 90s with high humidity and very stagnant air and heat index into the 100s. This is typical from late May thru Mid September.

I find it hilarious that so many of the people who so staunchly claim that Rochester/Upstate NY is so inferior to so many other places are people who have NEVER LIVED ANYWHERE ELSE! No place is perfect and Rochester certainly is not for everyone and there are plenty of reasons that a person may not like living here. Future or recent expats however, seem incapable of comprehending that their experiences and opinions do not apply to everyone. It's ok that you don't like Rochester and prefer living someplace else; but it's not ok to suggest that people who do like living here "don't know any better". THAT is about as shortsighted a stance as someone can take.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM

244 posts, read 418,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is not true. My mother is from SC originally and I did my Basic Training at Fort Jackson, just outside of Columbia. It was so hot during one of the last weeks of Basic, that the Army made us roll up our pant legs and sleeves on our BDU's because it was 100 for every day that week, straight up. We were made to drink out of our canteens so we wouldn't get dehydrated and have heat stroke. So, it can get very hot and humid in SC.

you "were made to drink out of our canteens" THE HORROR! btw for the record rochester has many days that are 100% humidity.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,333,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Ok I get the fact that you have different opinions about what is good vs bad ideal vs crappy but you REALLY need to stop with the blatantly false statements on things where you have NO idea what you aer talking about. It gets MUCH MUCH MUCH hotter than that in the Carolinas during summer...I know...I lived there for 13 years. Have you ever even been to these places down south you claim are so great? You claimed earlier that Miami was a safe city with great schools! hahahahah. Average temps of 82-85 at the highest is typical summer weather in ROCHESTER. Typical summer weather in most of the Carolinas outside the mountains of NC is 90s with high humidity and very stagnant air and heat index into the 100s. This is typical from late May thru Mid September.

I find it hilarious that so many of the people who so staunchly claim that Rochester/Upstate NY is so inferior to so many other places are people who have NEVER LIVED ANYWHERE ELSE! No place is perfect and Rochester certainly is not for everyone and there are plenty of reasons that a person may not like living here. Future or recent expats however, seem incapable of comprehending that their experiences and opinions do not apply to everyone. It's ok that you don't like Rochester and prefer living someplace else; but it's not ok to suggest that people who do like living here "don't know any better". THAT is about as shortsighted a stance as someone can take.
I disagree. From many conversations, business and personal, I have determined people around here to be of the very naive. In my personal experience, the people that have the most Rochester pride have barely even traveled out of the area.

If we weed out the cognitive dissonance and just stick to the facts, people are migrating to the south.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2008/...gration-flows/

This is a cool map, too: http://www.forbes.com/special-report/2011/migration.html

Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,734,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
To me, the beach is 80% of what I'm after. Restaurants (10%), aquarium (5%), everything else (5%, waterparks, parks, etc.).

Of course, the 20 minute drive was a bit exaggerated for effect, but please do share what is on your top 10 list. Perhaps 20 minutes to get a subpar steak? 20 minutes to get heated frozen seafood? 20 minutes to walk a beach coated with algae? 20 minutes to walk near a waterfall surrounded by abandoned buildings? 20 minutes to an empty ferry port? 20 minutes to a bar that's either a sausage fest or an abundance of mediocre women? 20 minutes to a poorly designed zoo? 20 minutes to a rose festival full of mostly dying roses? 20 minutes to a festival based on purple flowers that may or may not be in bloom at the time, but here is some mediocre festival food and D-rate musicians to keep you happy?
if beach is what you are mostly after, then that is your preference. That does not mean that there is nothing going on in Roch as there is plenty.
The rest of the things you listed are so exaggerated and flat out false it is hard to take your posting seriously. There are decent places for steak like Tournedos. There is better seafood out there, but know for a fact that a few places get fresh seafood a couple times a week from Boston.. The bars aren't sausage fests and there are plenty of beautiful women. About the same amount as you would find in any other medium sized metro area. BTW, obesity numbers are higher down south so you'll run into much more "mediocrity" when trying to find a non tourist woman down there. The zoo isn't that bad and has made improvements over the years. Charleston doesn't even have a zoo(they do have a nice aquarium though). Your comments about two festivals are extremely off base. The ones based on nature are usually fine with a handful of exceptions of weather not cooperating. You also ignore several other festivals that bring in thousands of out of town visitors and popular, talented musicians. You ignore the other great food offerings in the area, only concentrating on lower grade festival food. Ethnic foods will be much better up here. Southern comfort food will be much better down there. You bash the garbage plate when the area you are moving too is filled with artery clogging foods which they brag about. You need to travel more as the foods that cities brag about, aren't going to be the healthiest.
There are also a variety of sports teams to watch, hiking, biking, skiing, snowmobiling, etc trails nearby. The beaches are meh, but not the polluted cesspools you make them out to be.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I disagree. From many conversations, business and personal, I have determined people around here to be of the very naive. In my personal experience, the people that have the most Rochester pride have barely even traveled out of the area.

]
Interesting. I have had the complete opposite experience. The cry babies and whiners are the ones who have never left. The people that appreciate the area, are the ones who travel quite a bit like myself.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,333,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
if beach is what you are mostly after, then that is your preference. That does not mean that there is nothing going on in Roch as there is plenty.
The rest of the things you listed are so exaggerated and flat out false it is hard to take your posting seriously. There are decent places for steak like Tournedos. There is better seafood out there, but know for a fact that a few places get fresh seafood a couple times a week from Boston.. The bars aren't sausage fests and there are plenty of beautiful women. About the same amount as you would find in any other medium sized metro area. BTW, obesity numbers are higher down south so you'll run into much more "mediocrity" when trying to find a non tourist woman down there. The zoo isn't that bad and has made improvements over the years. Charleston doesn't even have a zoo(they do have a nice aquarium though). Your comments about two festivals are extremely off base. The ones based on nature are usually fine with a handful of exceptions of weather not cooperating. You also ignore several other festivals that bring in thousands of out of town visitors and popular, talented musicians. You ignore the other great food offerings in the area, only concentrating on lower grade festival food. Ethnic foods will be much better up here. Southern comfort food will be much better down there. You bash the garbage plate when the area you are moving too is filled with artery clogging foods which they brag about. You need to travel more as the foods that cities brag about, aren't going to be the healthiest.
There are also a variety of sports teams to watch, hiking, biking, skiing, snowmobiling, etc trails nearby. The beaches are meh, but not the polluted cesspools you make them out to be.
I've been to Tournedos. It was good, but I'd rather have a filet from Flemings (chain).

If you know anything about fresh seafood locales, please do share, I'm interested.

America's Most and Least Attractive People- Page 5 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

My festival perceptions are NOT off base. Numbers reported in the paper or on TV are directly from PR folks for the festivals. They could make anything up. My favorite is when the news reporters interview someone from Europe attending the festival as if they were dumb enough to come for such a festival. They were in town and they were just looking for something to do.

D-rate musicians

I didn't bash the garbage plate because of it's unhealthiness. I'm not one to eat healthy constantly. I bashed it because it's a pile of food that's claimed to be some innovation. A chimp could come up with something better.

Hiking is one thing that apparently is great around here. If you're into that sort of thing. Winter activities as well, if you're into that stuff. Biking can be done almost anywhere except San Fran!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I've been to Tournedos. It was good, but I'd rather have a filet from Flemings (chain).

If you know anything about fresh seafood locales, please do share, I'm interested.

America's Most and Least Attractive People- Page 5 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

My festival perceptions are NOT off base. Numbers reported in the paper or on TV are directly from PR folks for the festivals. They could make anything up. My favorite is when the news reporters interview someone from Europe attending the festival as if they were dumb enough to come for such a festival. They were in town and they were just looking for something to do.

D-rate musicians

I didn't bash the garbage plate because of it's unhealthiness. I'm not one to eat healthy constantly. I bashed it because it's a pile of food that's claimed to be some innovation. A chimp could come up with something better.

Hiking is one thing that apparently is great around here. If you're into that sort of thing. Winter activities as well, if you're into that stuff. Biking can be done almost anywhere except San Fran!
I'm not sure what that article you linked has to do with anything....It talks about attractive people and uses things that have nothing to do with looks as a rating system. Seems about as legit as a forbes article. With that said, Charleston has some good looking women, but when you separate the tourists from the locals, there is a big difference. It is no different than any other area of it's size. If you are looking for 1 night stands with tourists, then yes it will be better.
There are vendors from the public market that get fresh seafood in a couple times a week from the Boston area. There are also a couple of restaurants that do this. But I don't pay much attention since in recent months I have had seafood in Boston, California and NYC. Better than what you would find in Rochester, but does not make what you find here horrible and frozen.
If you have anything to provide that contradicts what the festival PR people tell us, I would love to see it. I attend these festivals and meet plenty of people from out of state. The Jazz festival especially brings in many out of towners and very talented musicians. Festivals like East End or Lilac bring in d rate musicians. There are plenty of other venues to see talented, popular musicians.
Nobody is claiming the garbage plate is an innovation. It's good comfort food. BTW, the sauce isn't that easy to make. Not sure what the point of bringing up the simplicity of the garbage plate is. Well known food from most cities(philly cheesesteak, NYC pizza, mission burritos, etc) are simple.
Biking can be done anywhere. Mountain biking can not and this area offers some great trails for it in a close proximity to the city.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,616,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Interesting. I have had the complete opposite experience. The cry babies and whiners are the ones who have never left. The people that appreciate the area, are the ones who travel quite a bit like myself.
This is DEFINITELY the case. And even more hilarious is that it is illustrated so perfectly on this thread. The two people bashing Rochester as a place that only naive homebodies can like are people who haven't lived anywhere else. For me personally I enjoy living here because I DID live someplace else for quite a while and in doing so gained a new appreciation for what Rochester does offer. Again, this is referring to what MY experiences are and what works best for MY FAMILY. I don't think that everyone could/should/would be happy in Rochester. But to suggest that NOBODY should be happy here is absolutely ridiculous and again, very short-sighted.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
This is DEFINITELY the case. And even more hilarious is that it is illustrated so perfectly on this thread. The two people bashing Rochester as a place that only naive homebodies can like are people who haven't lived anywhere else. For me personally I enjoy living here because I DID live someplace else for quite a while and in doing so gained a new appreciation for what Rochester does offer. Again, this is referring to what MY experiences are and what works best for MY FAMILY. I don't think that everyone could/should/would be happy in Rochester. But to suggest that NOBODY should be happy here is absolutely ridiculous and again, very short-sighted.
Exactly. I spend a good amount of the year out of the area for work so I have a lot to compare to. While not every person will be happy in any particular area, making exaggerated claims to put an area down shows a lack of tact and real world experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area