Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 AM

9 posts, read 19,095 times

Advertisements

I have been in town visiting family ,friends and ex co-workers. As I have said many times before, Rochester has many good qualities. I have defended many of the positives. I just cannot do it any more. This place is just down rite depressive, when I commented on the beautiful weather all I heard was oh just a little while ago it was freezing at night also I would hear don't worrie it will be cold soon. This would just continue each person would have something else negative to say. Oh this will change by next week, Negative Negative Come on !! The people here seem like they are awaiting a potential doom. Please don't let start about how many people were shot , killed or attacked in Rochester. For the size of Rochester the amount of crime it is out of control . I am no longer thinking about relocating back to the area. Lets talk positive the views were outstding, the beauty of fall will be amazing. But when all is said and done you can keep Rochester and all of its negativity . People here are consumed about the approaching bad , cold and snowy weather when nobody will be venturing out unless for work or or groceries.
Rochester is a good place to visit but not to live long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM

120 posts, read 340,842 times
It's too bad your all your friends and family are negative I can see why you wouldn't want to return. We on the other hand looked forward to winter every year for sledding every year. And once a year in January we would have a big sledding party at Mendon Ponds Park with about 100 of our friends and family. We were well aware of how lucky we were to have the amazing parks and opportunities for music, science et al in a community the size of Rochester.

As for the shootings. I don't have an answer for that but I can say when we started having issues in our neighborhood, rather than complain or move we started a neighborhood association and made many wonderful friends from it.

Life is short and can only be lived once, there's no sense of going about with a negative attitude all the time. There are plenty of positive people in Rochester, you just have to surround yourself with them.

And why I speak in past tense is because we had to move because of my job. I lost my job in Rochester and found one in SW Michigan. So we'll still have cold winters to contend, but we'll bundle up find a hill and have fun.

Good Luck to you.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 AM

93,884 posts, read 124,609,502 times
Sounds like someone may need to change some of the people they hang around. There will always be negative people out there, no matter where you go. If you like many things about the area, that shouldn't change. People have to think for themselves.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,666,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alw1964 View Post
We on the other hand looked forward to winter every year for sledding every year. And once a year in January we would have a big sledding party at Mendon Ponds Park with about 100 of our friends and family. We were well aware of how lucky we were to have the amazing parks and opportunities for music, science et al in a community the size of Rochester.
D@mn! Can I be your friend? Please!! I want to see this sledding party...Sounds fun! I'm FINALLY moving back to NY and I can't wait!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,730,634 times
You need to find different people to hang out with. I had people with negative attitudes around me and I dumped them for people that liked to go out and do things. Not very hard to do.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM

702 posts, read 2,188,460 times
I echo the above posters. Why be negative about a place that actually has 4 seasons. Sure winter may run a little long from time to time, but either embrace it or change where you live. Seasonal depression may be a factor as well, and there is help. Light therapy - MayoClinic.com

Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 PM

Thank you for your opinions, many of them or correct. I don't want to seem like I am bashing Rochester because I am not. I just think the people are good but the weather knocks then down.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
I echo the above posters. Why be negative about a place that actually has 4 seasons. Sure winter may run a little long from time to time, but either embrace it or change where you live.
As someone who grew up with 4 actual seasons, I have to say I had no idea how difficult life is without them. I now live in SC (for a few more weeks) and there's 2 seasons - hotter than hell and hot. Christmas and 70 degrees? Halloween and over 80 degrees??? Seriously. No dreaming of a white Christmas here.

Time for some new friends. There's negative people everywhere. Don't let them get you down!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:41 PM

SS20ts I heard the other side. What don't you like about SC? What is the area that you reside? Are you moving north and How long have you lived in SC? I have heard good things about the carolinas .

Old 09-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouds to sun View Post
SS20ts I heard the other side. What don't you like about SC? What is the area that you reside? Are you moving north and How long have you lived in SC? I have heard good things about the carolinas .
North Carolina is VERY different than South Carolina. I like a lot of areas in NC. I spend a lot of time there both before moving to SC and while living in NY.

SC is hotter than hell. Most of the summer it's over 100 degrees and the humidity here is dreadful. It's very common for it to be 90+% including 100% without rain or fog. People here are not friendly to Northerners at all. I attended a college here for a semester and received a 4.0. At least once a week, my instructor (i had to the same person for all of my classes) tell me to hit I95 and go back where I came from. I didn't even know 95 went into NY until she told me to go home. I Googled it so I would have a snappy come back. Oh hey it goes south too!

I'm in an area just outside of Augusta, GA which has lots of problems. Their trash likes to come over the river and kill people including cops. No joke. 2 cops murdered and 1 shot in less than 6 weeks.

We've been here 2 1/2 years and will be moving back to NY in a few weeks. We're from the Capitol Region and relocating to the Finger Lakes. I've had all the "Southern Hospitality" I can take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area