Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 11:11 AM

5,764 posts, read 4,139,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No it was not, as it destroyed said neighborhoods and largely without any input from the community, among other factors. That is why a lot of development now, which isn't under the guise of an Urban Renewal program by the way, is getting more input from the community or at least tries(so they say). Totally different cases.

https://inclusivehistorian.com/urban...loan%20program.
Yes, of course, they changed the name.

As far as community input, the mayor, and most all of city council are black. Are they discriminating against white input?

Regarding your link, I didn't see Rochester mentioned at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 11:56 AM

93,877 posts, read 124,609,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yes, of course, they changed the name.

As far as community input, the mayor, and most all of city council are black. Are they discriminating against white input?

Regarding your link, I didn't see Rochester mentioned at all.
No, it is a different program affiliated with HUD, that's why.

That question doesn't make sense, as the community input is from those that live there. Meaning the actual neighborhood impacted. Meaning, something along the lines of this example in Syracuse: https://www.blueprint15.org/ It isn't perfect and there are some questions about the possibility of those that currently live there having a chance to come back, but it at least allegedly makes an attempt to engage the neighborhood.

The point of the link is to show what Urban Renewal actually was and what people usually refer to. that is along with examples of impact on communities.

Old 03-10-2022, 01:01 PM

It's a shame these people haven't learned how to turn lemons into lemonaide. We wouldn't be having any of these discussions if people would just learn how to survive on their own. As I've said many times before. There are far to many (mostly white) liberals writing books and articles blaming everyone BUT the individual.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
It's a shame these people haven't learned how to turn lemons into lemonaide. We wouldn't be having any of these discussions if people would just learn how to survive on their own. As I've said many times before. There are far to many (mostly white) liberals writing books and articles blaming everyone BUT the individual.
You are missing the point...Perhaps we have to ask why not improve on what was there instead of destroying it, as you yourself have mentioned? Many had to "move on", because they had no choice.

Everything isn't about conservatives and liberals. Just look at the history for what it is and its impact. Then, consider what could be done. It looks like this is an example of how to mend Downtown with adjacent neighborhoods again.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:02 PM

6,515 posts, read 3,202,301 times
Quote:
No, it is a different program affiliated with HUD, that's why.

That question doesn't make sense, as the community input is from those that live there. Meaning the actual neighborhood impacted.
Meaning, something along the lines of this example in Syracuse: https://www.blueprint15.org/ It isn't perfect and there are some questions about the possibility of those that currently live there having a chance to come back, but it at least allegedly makes an attempt to engage the neighborhood.

The point of the link is to show what Urban Renewal actually was and what people usually refer to. that is along with examples of impact on communities.
Question.....are the people in the neighborhood, the ones that are asked for input, solely responsible for footing the bill for what they want, via "input", or are the residents of the county and state also helping to pay for these programs. No, I don't live within the city limits, but if I'm going to help funding these projects, I think that I should have some input, too..........

Old 03-10-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Question.....are the people in the neighborhood, the ones that are asked for input, solely responsible for footing the bill for what they want, via "input", or are the residents of the county and state also helping to pay for these programs. No, I don't live within the city limits, but if I'm going to help funding these projects, I think that I should have some input, too..........
Are you going to be directly impact by the changes though? I understand a need for your input, but are you going to deal with said changes on a day to day basis? Perhaps that is the question that needs to be asked as well. After all, many times people from said neighborhoods have hardly any say for things that may occur outside of the city, but still have to pay into as well. So, that can go both ways...

Old 03-11-2022, 05:16 AM

6,515 posts, read 3,202,301 times
Quote:
Are you going to be directly impact by the changes though? I understand a need for your input, but are you going to deal with said changes on a day to day basis? Perhaps that is the question that needs to be asked as well. After all, many times people from said neighborhoods have hardly any say for things that may occur outside of the city, but still have to pay into as well. So, that can go both ways...
If we're talking about roads and infrastructure that is in the public domain, then yes, I might, at some time, be in a position to make use of the proposed changes.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
If we're talking about roads and infrastructure that is in the public domain, then yes, I might, at some time, be in a position to make use of the proposed changes.
I understand that, but again, are you going to be living in the way of the proposed highway and be able to deal with what comes with that? I would think direct, every day impact would take precedence over potential use. Especially when there are other routes that can be used.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I understand that, but again, are you going to be living in the way of the proposed highway and be able to deal with what comes with that? I would think direct, every day impact would take precedence over potential use. Especially when there are other routes that can be used.
What are these other routes, and won't that open another can of worms?

Old 03-12-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
What are these other routes, and won't that open another can of worms?
I’m talking about the road grid that the city has, with streets/roads that go throughout the area.

Also, you have the ability to build up the real estate that the Loop occupies, which in turn could allow for people to live closer to work in/around Downtown. Meaning, the city can offer the ability for people to not be dependent on a car for everything, if they so desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area