Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 08:30 AM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Who says they have to be in manufacturing? Rochester still does have manufacturing, btw, it's just that they are micro products. For the most part, that has always been our strength. R&D has always been a large business with a high # of patents/ population.

Paychex is a fast growing local company with about 4000 local employees, and soon the be a Fortune 500 company. Constellation Brands already is a Fortune 500 company in Victor, and soon will be moving to downtown.

All in all, Rochester has done pretty well, replacing 100,000 jobs that were lost from the big companies, and without the huge influxes of taxpayer money our neighbor gets
I agree, but I was just making the point that the economy has just changed to smaller companies. So, we are saying the same or similar thing just in different ways.

It is important to mention this, because people not familiar with Rochester's economy may get stuck on the brand name companies in the area, while not realizing how the economy just adjusted in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 08:42 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I fully understand what you're saying, as I, too, do not personally understand all the hoopla being generated over this "redevelopment" that supposedly the "deconstruction" of the IL is going to bring. The posted video, starts out by saying that "new neighborhoods" are being created. 3-4, 3-4 story apartment buildings and a parking garage, constructed in a predominately commercial area, is a "neighborhood? Somehow or other, I fail to see this as a huge step forward for the area.

However, create a few multi-thousand person employers, like Kodak, Xerox, and General Motors used to be, in Rochester, and then I think you'd be on to something.....
I think others are stating that there are a lot of smaller companies in Rochester now and output's still pretty good even if it's not massive single companies.

If some of that new construction being put up is on land that didn't have buildings before but rather a freeway, on and off ramps, and possibly pretty marginal land next to it that may not have had any buildings, then even that is a pretty hefty upgrade for what's not really a massive city. It does some like some of those buildings have ground floors that could have been built for commercial usage and there was mention of a hotel and an expansion of the Strong Museum (really fantastic museum! Was quite surprised by it!). That's not a ton of jobs, but it's likely more jobs than what was there earlier. Plus, higher intensity land usage probably means higher property tax revenue for the city and more people living in the city generally means more economic activity in general unless all those buildings are highly subsidized extremely low/no income affordable housing. If it's not that latter point, then it's conceivable that these developments does help grow the economic base for the city's economy by providing housing within the city for more labor. The residential buildings seem kind of high-ish end to be honest, so I don't think it's going to be all highly subsidized extremely low/no income affordable housing.

Quote:
Who says they have to be in manufacturing? Rochester still does have manufacturing, btw, it's just that they are micro products. For the most part, that has always been our strength. R&D has always been a large business with a high # of patents/ population.

Paychex is a fast growing local company with about 4000 local employees, and soon the be a Fortune 500 company. Constellation Brands already is a Fortune 500 company in Victor, and soon will be moving to downtown.

All in all, Rochester has done pretty well, replacing 100,000 jobs that were lost from the big companies, and without the huge influxes of taxpayer money our neighbor gets
Is there a good amount of VC funding in the area? If R&D is big as are patents / population, and these are from smaller players, then I assume there's probably some kind of private funding pipeline in place.

Do you know if those buildings on the left side of the road were built where the Inner Loop was or all they just replacements of already existing buildings--strike that, I just looked at earlier streetviews of the area and holy crap that's really different! It looks like they even reconnected or are reconnecting parts of the street grid! Also, is there commercial in the ground floor of any of those buildings? And do these buildings have basement levels? Also, as an area native, are you surprised by the amount of development that occurred? Is it more or is it less than what you expected to be underway since the closing (well, considering the pandemic)? Were there any people expressing skepticism that there was going to be *any* new development at all? Are there any new parks as part of this or the proposed Inner Loop North project?

I think I might take a trip to Rochester this summer! When is the Strong Museum expansion slated to be opened? I'm really impressed!

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-14-2022 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-14-2022, 09:19 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think others are stating that there are a lot of smaller companies in Rochester now and output's still pretty good even if it's not massive single companies.

If some of that new construction being put up is on land that didn't have buildings before but rather a freeway, on and off ramps, and possibly pretty marginal land next to it that may not have had any buildings, then even that is a pretty hefty upgrade for what's not really a massive city. It does some like some of those buildings have ground floors that could have been built for commercial usage and there was mention of a hotel and an expansion of the Strong Museum (really fantastic museum! Was quite surprised by it!). That's not a ton of jobs, but it's likely more jobs than what was there earlier. Plus, higher intensity land usage probably means higher property tax revenue for the city and more people living in the city generally means more economic activity in general unless all those buildings are highly subsidized extremely low/no income affordable housing. If it's not that latter point, then it's conceivable that these developments does help grow the economic base for the city's economy by providing housing within the city for more labor. The residential buildings seem kind of high-ish end to be honest, so I don't think it's going to be all highly subsidized extremely low/no income affordable housing.

Is there a good amount of VC funding in the area? If R&D is big as are patents / population, and these are from smaller players, then I assume there's probably some kind of private funding pipeline in place.

Do you know if those buildings on the left side of the road were built where the Inner Loop was or all they just replacements of already existing buildings--strike that, I just looked at earlier streetviews of the area and holy crap that's really different! It looks like they even reconnected or are reconnecting parts of the street grid! Also, is there commercial in the ground floor of any of those buildings? And do these buildings have basement levels? Also, as an area native, are you surprised by the amount of development that occurred? Is it more or is it less than what you expected to be underway since the closing (well, considering the pandemic)? Were there any people expressing skepticism that there was going to be *any* new development at all? Are there any new parks as part of this or the proposed Inner Loop North project?

I think I might take a trip to Rochester this summer! When is the Strong Museum expansion slated to be opened? I'm really impressed!
You have mentioned Rochester's small size a couple times. Were you refering to the city itself, or the metro, and compared to what other city?

Old 03-14-2022, 09:35 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
You have mentioned Rochester's small size a couple times. Were you refering to the city itself, or the metro, and compared to what other city?

I mentioned a lot of things, but yea, it's a pretty small city in terms of city and metropolitan area population (just outside of the top fifty in population and barely over a million for its metropolitan area with less than a quarter of that within city proper). I mention it because I've seen reports on its patent output and it seems to pack a hell of a lot of punch for its size.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I mentioned a lot of things, but yea, it's a pretty small city in terms of city and metropolitan area population (just outside of the top fifty in population and barely over a million for its metropolitan area with less than a quarter of that within city proper). I mention it because I've seen reports on its patent output and it seems to pack a hell of a lot of punch for its size.
Last I know, Rochester Metro was #51

As thankGod said, it hasn't has a loss in census counts. The population around 1960 was about 600,000 (including Genessee county), and now is almost exactly 1.1 million without GC. Steady growth, even with loosing some major employment.

Compare to many larger cities that have experienced major losses. For instance, Buffalo was about 1.5 million, and lost about 350,000

Old 03-15-2022, 01:13 PM

Watching this video shows there was a good amount of traffic on the IL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG6-04F35ig

Old 03-15-2022, 04:47 PM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:
Watching this video shows there was a good amount of traffic on the IL
Correct. The IL wasn't as "lightly used" as some people thought, ESPECIALLY if you lived on the east side of the city, and wanted to connect to 490 west......which leads me to a question. If you're on the northeast side of the city, like I used to live, say Culver Road, anywhere between Parsells Avenue, and Clifford Avenue. How do you get to 490 west, now???

Old 03-15-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Correct. The IL wasn't as "lightly used" as some people thought, ESPECIALLY if you lived on the east side of the city, and wanted to connect to 490 west......which leads me to a question. If you're on the northeast side of the city, like I used to live, say Culver Road, anywhere between Parsells Avenue, and Clifford Avenue. How do you get to 490 west, now???
Wouldn't you just head south to catch I-490 west anyway?

Old 03-16-2022, 05:36 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wouldn't you just head south to catch I-490 west anyway?
No, not really. Heading south, the closest junction with 490 would have been at Culver Road, which would have been significantly longer, from where I used to live, to where I worked, on the far west side of the county. Being able to drive pretty much due west, through part of the city, entering the Inner Loop at Scio Street, then following the Loop west, to pick up 490 west, was pretty direct.

My other option would have been to drive several blocks east, opposite of my intended direction, and get on 590 south, follow it to intersect with 490 at "the can", then proceed west through the city on 490. That, too, would have added several miles to my daily commute. The Loop provided a convenient means to cross the city, in a westerly direction, for those of us who live on the east side.

(not to be picky, but in a previous post, another poster, "JW Rocks", commented that you live 100 miles from here. Whether or not that statement was true or not, I don't believe that you addressed that point. However, suggesting that I would "just head south to catch 490, anyway", strongly suggests that indeed, you must not live around here, and be familiar with the Rochester area's roads.......)

Old 03-16-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
No, not really. Heading south, the closest junction with 490 would have been at Culver Road, which would have been significantly longer, from where I used to live, to where I worked, on the far west side of the county. Being able to drive pretty much due west, through part of the city, entering the Inner Loop at Scio Street, then following the Loop west, to pick up 490 west, was pretty direct.

My other option would have been to drive several blocks east, opposite of my intended direction, and get on 590 south, follow it to intersect with 490 at "the can", then proceed west through the city on 490. That, too, would have added several miles to my daily commute. The Loop provided a convenient means to cross the city, in a westerly direction, for those of us who live on the east side.

(not to be picky, but in a previous post, another poster, "JW Rocks", commented that you live 100 miles from here. Whether or not that statement was true or not, I don't believe that you addressed that point. However, suggesting that I would "just head south to catch 490, anyway", strongly suggests that indeed, you must not live around here, and be familiar with the Rochester area's roads.......)
Wouldn’t the Inner Loop North consist of a small portion of the commute? In turn, couldn’t you use surface streets or perhaps an infill road to replace the Loop?

Also, when I said south, I’m thinking of going down Culver or even to Merchants to Winton Road to get onto I-490 as well, depending on where you live in say East Irondequoit or the NE Quadrant. Just curious, but it looks like there isn’t too much more of a drive: https://goo.gl/maps/v7iT6ELxpPaqiPMc6 This is it is even necessary even without the Loop.

There’s also Route 104 as an option depending on where you are coming from/going. I’ve taken that coming from or to Oswego and Syracuse.

BTW-I have a sibling that has lived in the area for about 30 years or so. So, I’m at least a little familiar with the area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-16-2022 at 06:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area