Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to the Sacramento area, my wife has a possible job in the downtown area. We have kids in elementary and jr. high and are looking for good charter schools. We would prefer to live in a relatively conservative area of town . We have family in Dixon so would love to be close enough to drive within a half hour tops. Not sure how traffic is there. We currently live in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Depending on where you live in the suburbs, you'll find the public schools can be as good or better as the charter schools. I find the suburbs east of Sacramento (Folsom, El DOrado Hills, Cameron Park, etc.) are fairly conservative for CA and have very highly ranked schools. I'll let others chime in on the burbs in the other directions.

School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California

Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
The farther east you go into the foothills, the more conservative the voters--Placer or El Dorado County in particular. Sacramento itself is quite liberal, more so the closer you get to downtown. There is traffic but am unsure how it compares to Minneapolis.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
Yeah, what they said. Actually, Placer county is the "reddest" county in California - red meaning conservative, as in red state, blue state. It's also one of the most desirable areas to live in the Sacramento region, and you can find a wide aray of homes for sale at good prices, and the public school system is also very good.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM

In regards to traffic, my wife drives 25 miles to work each way. She drives directly through the twin cities and it takes about an hour in the morning and sometimes an hour and a half in the afternoon.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Traffic is toughest through downtown Sacramento itself. If one end of work is downtown and the other is in a burb a comparable distance away, commute time should be a bit lighter--I think more like 45 minutes to an hour to reach Roseville when it's particularly thick. We don't get snow here which may make a difference for travel times.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM

ah, yes that is the one thing I would not miss is driving in snow and ice. Now the cold weather, I would miss. It's not cold 'til it's 20 below. But somehow I think I can give that up for a somewhat warmer winter in California.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
We may be relocating to the Sacramento area, my wife has a possible job in the downtown area. We have kids in elementary and jr. high and are looking for good charter schools. We would prefer to live in a relatively conservative area of town . We have family in Dixon so would love to be close enough to drive within a half hour tops. Not sure how traffic is there. We currently live in Minneapolis.
Hmmm, I left Sacto for Minneapolis...I am trying to think of a comparable Conservative neighborhood, but without knowing where you currently live and/or want, I would agree with the areas others have posted.

Sacramento as whole is far more comparable to St. Paul as whole than Minneapolis, to which Sacramento is no where near as Liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
ah, yes that is the one thing I would not miss is driving in snow and ice. Now the cold weather, I would miss. It's not cold 'til it's 20 below. But somehow I think I can give that up for a somewhat warmer winter in California.
Sacramento might get colder than you think....but not as cold. I also found it amusing when I would come back to visit over the winter and see people with down jackets and scarves when I was in just a hoodie.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, I left Sacto for Minneapolis...I am trying to think of a comparable Conservative neighborhood, but without knowing where you currently live and/or want, I would agree with the areas others have posted
We live in the NW side of Mpls, Champlin/Anoka/Coon Rapids right on the Mississippi River.

Quote:
Sacramento as whole is far more comparable to St. Paul as whole than Minneapolis, to which Sacramento is no where near as Liberal.
So you're saying St. Paul is more liberal than Sacramento?

Quote:
Sacramento might get colder than you think....but not as cold. I also found it amusing when I would come back to visit over the winter and see people with down jackets and scarves when I was in just a hoodie.
Yeah I know what you mean. We lived in Florida for a short while and it was hilarious to see people in fur coats and gloves in 40 degree weather. They were complaining about the cold and where to get the best cup of coffee. LOL. I know it's all relative but it's still pretty funny. Thanks for your insight!

Old 03-28-2012, 04:39 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
I was born in the midwest and I am not sure I would call Minneapolis more liberal than Sac. The percentage of people in Sacramento County who voted for Obama is fairly similar to Hennepin and Ramsey counties for Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Sacramento is also bound by the much more liberal California state laws that you don't see in Minnesota. For example medical marijuana, strict fishing bans, or stem cell research.

Placer county is slighty to the right, but not nearly as conservative as some would have you believe. Placer county went 43% for Obama so it is probably more moderate. Of course in California moderate= bible belt conservative so you have to take what people say with a grain of salt.

Placer is probably more comparable to the suburban collar counties like Anoka or Scott. You gotta go mountain country before you start getting real solid conservative places and even then it has more of a libertarian vibe to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento