Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 11:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times

Advertisements

TOP-100 SWEATIEST CITIES IN AMERICA
This list of summer averages/indexes perfectly supports what I've been saying all along: Sacramento is cooler and more comfortable than the rest of the Central Valley and half the nation---really more than 2/3 the nation.

Yah, I think we underestimate and downplay how GREAT Sacramento weather really is.

1. Phoenix, AZ
2. Las Vegas, NV
3. Tucson, AZ
4. Dallas, TX
5. Corpus Christi, TX
6. San Antonio, TX
7. Austin, TX
8. Shreveport, LA
9. Houston, TX
10. Waco, TX
11. Miami, FL
12. New Orleans, LA
13. Orlando, FL
14. Tampa, FL
15. West Palm Beach, FL
16. Honolulu, HI
17. El Paso, TX
18. Memphis, TN
19. Fort Myers, FL
20. Baton Rouge, LA
21. Little Rock, AR
22. Mobile, AL
23. Jacksonville, FL
24. Tulsa, OK
25. Fresno, CA
26. Jackson, MS
27. Savannah, GA
28. Montgomery, AL
29. Nashville, TN
30. Columbia, SC
31. Oklahoma City, OK
32. Raleigh, NC
33. St Louis, MO
34. Birmingham, AL
35. Huntsville, AL
36. Richmond, VA
37. Louisville, KY
38. Chattanooga, TN
39. Washington DC
40. Wichita, KS
41. Omaha, NE
42. Norfolk, VA
43. Springfield, MO
44. Virginia Beach, VA
45. Atlanta, GA
46. Greensboro, NC
47. Charlotte, NC
48. Philadelphia, PA
49. Albuquerque, NM
50. Knoxville, TN
51. Columbus, OH
52. Kansas City, MO
53. Evansville, IN
54. Lexington, KY
55. Wilkes-Barre, PA
56. Cincinnati, OH
57. Harrisburg, PA
58. Baltimore, MD
59. Charleston, WV
60. Springfield, IL
61. Moline, IL
62. New York, NY
63. Roanoke, VA
64. Indianapolis, IN
65. Des Moines, IA
66. Bristol, TN
67. Salt Lake City, UT
68. Detroit, MI
69. Sacramento, CA
70. Chicago, IL
71. Dayton, OH
72. Toledo, OH
73. Cleveland, OH
74. Minneapolis, MN
75. Hartford, CT
76. South Bend, IN
77. Syracuse, NY
78. Providence, RI
79. Pittsburgh, PA
80. Albany, NY
81. Buffalo, NY
82. Asheville, NC
83. Grand Rapids, MI
84. Milwaukee, WI
85. Rochester, NY
86. Boston, MA
87. Denver, CO
88. Madison, WI
89. Flint, MI
90. Youngstown, OH
91. Burlington, VT
92. Los Angeles, CA
93. Green Bay, WI
94. San Diego, CA
95. Colorado Springs, CO
96. Portland, ME
97. Portland, OR
98. Spokane, WA
99. Seattle, WA
100. San Francisco, CA

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-21-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:35 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
I think Sacto weather is underrated. Yeah I guess 10 miles inland of the ocean in SoCal and inland a bit from the Bay is nicer but nowhere in the US outside of California has as good a climate imho. All in all, Sac is a great place.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:50 AM

137 posts, read 344,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Humans have a comfort zone, as defined by ASHRE, of between 68F and 78F and between 30% and 60% RH. Ideal is between 68F and 78F @ 45% RH. Every modern building you walk into is designed to be in this range when occupied, any day of the year.
ASHRAE - American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers. Keep in mind though, that the comfort zone defined by the standards you're referring to are an aggregate/average temp and rh range. Most individuals have their own comfort zone that doesn't exactly correspond to the standard.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:13 AM

220 posts, read 417,817 times
We are thinking about moving to Sacramento specifically because of the point the original poster is making. We currently live in Orlando. My only concern in this thread is someone mentioning that Folsom and EDH is much warmer then Sacramento in general. If we do move it will probably be to that area because our middle school girl lives and breaths rowing right now and it appears in Folsom that the Sacramento Capital Crew (Junior Rowing club/team) is right there.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:44 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
TOP-100 SWEATIEST CITIES IN AMERICA
This list of summer averages/indexes perfectly supports what I've been saying all along: Sacramento is cooler and more comfortable than the rest of the Central Valley and half the nation---really more than 2/3 the nation.

Yah, I think we underestimate and downplay how GREAT Sacramento weather really is.

1. Phoenix, AZ
2. Las Vegas, NV
3. Tucson, AZ
4. Dallas, TX
5. Corpus Christi, TX
6. San Antonio, TX
7. Austin, TX
8. Shreveport, LA
9. Houston, TX
10. Waco, TX
11. Miami, FL
12. New Orleans, LA
13. Orlando, FL
14. Tampa, FL
15. West Palm Beach, FL
16. Honolulu, HI
17. El Paso, TX
18. Memphis, TN
19. Fort Myers, FL
20. Baton Rouge, LA
21. Little Rock, AR
22. Mobile, AL
23. Jacksonville, FL
24. Tulsa, OK
25. Fresno, CA
26. Jackson, MS
27. Savannah, GA
28. Montgomery, AL
29. Nashville, TN
30. Columbia, SC
31. Oklahoma City, OK
32. Raleigh, NC
33. St Louis, MO
34. Birmingham, AL
35. Huntsville, AL
36. Richmond, VA
37. Louisville, KY
38. Chattanooga, TN
39. Washington DC
40. Wichita, KS
41. Omaha, NE
42. Norfolk, VA
43. Springfield, MO
44. Virginia Beach, VA
45. Atlanta, GA
46. Greensboro, NC
47. Charlotte, NC
48. Philadelphia, PA
49. Albuquerque, NM
50. Knoxville, TN
51. Columbus, OH
52. Kansas City, MO
53. Evansville, IN
54. Lexington, KY
55. Wilkes-Barre, PA
56. Cincinnati, OH
57. Harrisburg, PA
58. Baltimore, MD
59. Charleston, WV
60. Springfield, IL
61. Moline, IL
62. New York, NY
63. Roanoke, VA
64. Indianapolis, IN
65. Des Moines, IA
66. Bristol, TN
67. Salt Lake City, UT
68. Detroit, MI
69. Sacramento, CA
70. Chicago, IL
71. Dayton, OH
72. Toledo, OH
73. Cleveland, OH
74. Minneapolis, MN
75. Hartford, CT
76. South Bend, IN
77. Syracuse, NY
78. Providence, RI
79. Pittsburgh, PA
80. Albany, NY
81. Buffalo, NY
82. Asheville, NC
83. Grand Rapids, MI
84. Milwaukee, WI
85. Rochester, NY
86. Boston, MA
87. Denver, CO
88. Madison, WI
89. Flint, MI
90. Youngstown, OH
91. Burlington, VT
92. Los Angeles, CA
93. Green Bay, WI
94. San Diego, CA
95. Colorado Springs, CO
96. Portland, ME
97. Portland, OR
98. Spokane, WA
99. Seattle, WA
100. San Francisco, CA
Well then, I guess we chose well in settling in rural, SW MO. The closest sweat pocket to us is 60 miles north of us. We can feel the difference when we go to the "big" (150K) city of Springfield. But cities generally are hotter due to all the concrete and glass.

None of these lists mean jack-didley-squat anyway. As with most things it's each persons opinion about where they like and where they don't. All these comparisons are meaningless.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
We are thinking about moving to Sacramento specifically because of the point the original poster is making. We currently live in Orlando. My only concern in this thread is someone mentioning that Folsom and EDH is much warmer then Sacramento in general. If we do move it will probably be to that area because our middle school girl lives and breaths rowing right now and it appears in Folsom that the Sacramento Capital Crew (Junior Rowing club/team) is right there.

Any thoughts?
It will be warmer in EDH and Folsom. They probably get half the relief from the Delta Breeze compared to Sacramento City. Expect 5 degrees warmer overall, goods news is you would be that much closer to the mountains, 15-30mins up the hill.

Folsom and Nimbus lakes are very close and the lower American River in the immediate area.

NorCal has many micro-climates. In the Bay Area alone you can go from foggy cool 62 degrees in SF, cross SF Bay (less than 10 miles) to the east and its 15 degrees warmer.

In the Sacramento region mico-climates are much more subtle and you have to drive further to get a significant change in temperatues. 1 hour east or west from SAC will give you 10-20 degrees cooler, coast or mountains. But compared to the south, texas,florida midwest where you have to drive hundreds of miles (3-5hours) to see any real difference -- in the summer.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Toronto, Canada back to normal, cool 71 degrees, mostly cloudy, humid, but it does not matter when its that cool. Relief! Awesome city by the way!

Definitely not the USA, but not Europe either. Wonderfully international, lots o'asians, lots of french spoken and heard on the street than spanish, and a good deal of portugais spoken - welcome change from Cali.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
This thread is about Sacramento City, and the southern and western parts of Sacramento County. It’s not about Lincoln, Roseville nor El Dorado and Placer counties.
Well, I certainly didn't think it was about Canada!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:03 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,751 times
I'm from back east, & I love Sacramento's weather. it is predictable and it is Mediterranean. people back east say they love the weather there, but let's be real, the weather sucks there too.

the weather back east is crappy and unpredictable even in the summer. Once the holidays are over in the winter,the holiday spirit wears off. people become miserable, cold, fat, and pale.that's why as soon as it hits 50 degrees, they come out of the woodwork with tank tops and jogging shorts.
change of seasons? sorry, no thanks. I do not enjoy shoveling snow, raking leaves, sitting in humidity,or any other activity that you have to do when the seasons change.I'll keep my dry heat, thanks for asking.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:38 PM

220 posts, read 417,817 times
Quote:
It will be warmer in EDH and Folsom. They probably get half the relief from the Delta Breeze compared to Sacramento City. Expect 5 degrees warmer overall, goods news is you would be that much closer to the mountains, 15-30mins up the hill.

Folsom and Nimbus lakes are very close and the lower American River in the immediate area.

NorCal has many micro-climates. In the Bay Area alone you can go from foggy cool 62 degrees in SF, cross SF Bay (less than 10 miles) to the east and its 15 degrees warmer.

In the Sacramento region mico-climates are much more subtle and you have to drive further to get a significant change in temperatues. 1 hour east or west from SAC will give you 10-20 degrees cooler, coast or mountains. But compared to the south, texas,florida midwest where you have to drive hundreds of miles (3-5hours) to see any real difference -- in the summer.
I am so glad you started this thread. Weather is such a tuff thing to figure out when you consider micro-climates within an area (I remember this when we were researching San Diego and lets say Del Mar vs Poway but then it came down to east Poway vs west Poway - divided by Hwy 15 - big difference in weather during the summertime even in a smaller city/place like Poway.

I just used weather.com and compared three locales: Davis, Sacramento, Folsom
For today's predictions Chimerique, you are practically spot on. There was about a 5 degree difference (both High and Low) from Davis to Folsom and about 3 degrees for Sacramento vs Folsom. The thing is when I used their yearly Highs and Lows monthly graph it appears that Davis was hotter on average for some of the summer months then Folsom. I tried to capture the two graphs via jpg pictures attached. The first graph is Davis and the second is Folsom. Then I noticed that all the temperatures were the same for both Sacramento and Folsom so they probably used Sacramento numbers in the historical Folsom graphs. So I switched to El Dorado Hills (EDH) and the weird thing is it shows EDH having an average COOLER per month average then both Sacramento and Davis. Summary below:

MAY average high temp: 89 Davis 88 Sac 85 EDH
JUNE average high temp: 94 Davis 93 Sac 92 EDH
JULY average high temp: 93 Davis 92 Sac 91 EDH
AUGUST average high temp: 89 Davis 88 Sac 85 EDH

These numbers make EDH appear to be the "best" place to live strictly in terms of average high temps for the months of May-August. Who knows?
Attached Thumbnails
Do we underestimate and downplay how Great Sacramento weather really is?-edh-monthly-average-temps.jpg   Do we underestimate and downplay how Great Sacramento weather really is?-folsom-h-l-yearly-temps.jpg   Do we underestimate and downplay how Great Sacramento weather really is?-sacramento-h-l-yearly-temps.jpg   Do we underestimate and downplay how Great Sacramento weather really is?-davis-h-l-yearly-temps.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento