Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 PM

143 posts, read 300,192 times

Advertisements

You people can say what you want.. the weather in that area was hell on earth after 11am in the summer and even in the winter it was too frikken hot and sunny, just not enough rain and cold for me. I was depressed wondering where the damn cold was and it was too sunny. The only time I got relief was at night it seemed and even then sometimes it even felt hot or humid. Sacramento felt like crap many times to me. I kid you not and the air quality is some of the worst too. Give me humidity anyday. Not that I love that but I prefer it to dry heat. You can't even lay in the damn sun in Sacramento and get tanned.. it just isn't a thing people seemed to do because the sun was so strong they'd burn worse than in the humid climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
OMG, I just heard thunder! (@1124 pm)

Folsom 74 (35% humidity)
Sacramento 73 (44% humidity)

Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Heat Index 12:30 a.m. PST

PHX - 91
Austin - 89
Miami - 84
Fresno - 82
Visalia - 80
Boston, Mass - 74

Sacramento/Folsom - 74

Toronto, Canada - 70 - I'm still here
Portland - 66
SF - 58

Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

I'm in Toronto, Canada right now, the temps is only 82 but with 40% humidty and it feels like a 100 degree day in SAC, it really does. My Toronto friends said they have been running the A/C 24/7 for over a week which is not unusual, and I can vouch for the last several days its been uncomfortably hot. I personally have felt dizzy and a bit overcome just by walking a few blocks in the morning here in Toronto.

The Toronto nights have been oppressively humid, A/C needed throughout the night.
82°F and 40% is rather close to ideal summer weather IMO; a 100°F has a slight baking sensation, it's hotter than body temperature. Needing A/C is subjective, I live in a similar but slightly hotter climate than Toronto and I don't have A/C though a few nights were bad. I'll also point out that the last month or so has been the most humid in memory; humidity has been stuck at deep south levels excluding a few days of break.

As for Sacramento weather, its summer weather sounds so sunny it's monotonous, and the lack of rain together heat would create a rather parched looking landscape. Sacramento average high isn't that terrible with the low humidity, though still too hot; it looks better than further south in the valley. I'd take a summer in Sacramento over a New England winter, and the 10 months of the year outside of the middle of summer, Sacramento looks like it has decent weather.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
Sacramento & Folsom are rarely the same temp. This morning it's close...Currently @ 730 am, with only a 2 degree difference.

Folsom 70
Sacramento 68
Visalia 72

Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times
nei: That's where the trees come in handy. 100 degrees in open sunlight feels more like 80-85 degrees under tree canopy, especially if the Delta breeze is going, and most of Sacramento's old neighborhoods have so much tree canopy that from late spring to early fall, some streets look more like green tunnels with a little sunlight peeking through the cracks. Water doesn't fall from the sky in summer here, but it does flow through the city via two rivers--a legacy we utilize to keep much of the valley green all summer.

Of course, once you get farther from the old neighborhoods and the river, you lose the tree canopy and the Delta breeze. Which is just another reason to not live in the suburbs, in my opinion, but even they have options...if they want to stay cool, they stay indoors with the A/C on or go to the mall.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Nie: Salut! Bienvienue. Sorry I'm in a bar and everyone is speaking thick Canadian French.

Every Canadienne I know (and barely know) tells me they would love to have as much sun as we do. The length of heat probably not -- although with humidity it's not exactly cool here either, more clouds then sun, full sun never lasts long.

Toronto harborefront freezes over, and it's 40 feet -- that's cold!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM

504 posts, read 851,957 times
I enjoyed the weather in Sac when I lived there. Far better than Phoenix, lol

Even though the summer afternoons can get hot, it still cools off nicely at night. Makes a HUGE difference compared to having overnight lows in the 80's leading into 105+ highs. There's just no relief.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 PM

409 posts, read 957,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToMA View Post
You people can say what you want.. the weather in that area was hell on earth after 11am in the summer and even in the winter it was too frikken hot and sunny, just not enough rain and cold for me. I was depressed wondering where the damn cold was and it was too sunny. The only time I got relief was at night it seemed and even then sometimes it even felt hot or humid. Sacramento felt like crap many times to me. I kid you not and the air quality is some of the worst too. Give me humidity anyday. Not that I love that but I prefer it to dry heat. You can't even lay in the damn sun in Sacramento and get tanned.. it just isn't a thing people seemed to do because the sun was so strong they'd burn worse than in the humid climates.
For those who think Sacramento winters are too mild and sunny...You could travel not even an hour away by car to get to a snowy winter landscape. I doubt a person could travel by car a short distance in most Northeast locations to escape the ice and snow and/or frigid temps to find themselves in a sunny environ but I could be wrong

100 plus degree weather is uncomfortable dry heat or no dry heat...fortunately long stretches of such weather are not the norm in Sacramento. Frankly I'm baffled about how people's impression of Sacramento summers make it seem like it's Las Vegas, Phoenix or many other locations in the continental US that swelter for weeks under 24/7 unrelenting heat and/or humidity.Besides the coast is only about 1.5 hours away for folks who want a quick getaway from Sac during the summer. Temps on the coast are typically 30 degrees or so cooler than inland California.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
82°F and 40% is rather close to ideal summer weather IMO; a 100°F has a slight baking sensation, it's hotter than body temperature. Needing A/C is subjective, I live in a similar but slightly hotter climate than Toronto and I don't have A/C though a few nights were bad. I'll also point out that the last month or so has been the most humid in memory; humidity has been stuck at deep south levels excluding a few days of break.

As for Sacramento weather, its summer weather sounds so sunny it's monotonous, and the lack of rain together heat would create a rather parched looking landscape. Sacramento average high isn't that terrible with the low humidity, though still too hot; it looks better than further south in the valley. I'd take a summer in Sacramento over a New England winter, and the 10 months of the year outside of the middle of summer, Sacramento looks like it has decent weather.
Rofl, sacramento's landcape looks arid because mountain water run off is routed to canals for distribution in various locales. The native indians got around on canoes, because the area was marshland. the marshy preserve by elk grove is a good example of this. In its natural state the area should be lush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento