Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 12:42 PM

330 posts, read 432,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes, but I also include the Inland Empire and Palm Springs Area, warmer and significantly dryer in the winter than Sacramento most of the time, both low and high temps.

I lived many years in San Diego and Los Angeles, yes I have personal experience with that.
Like I thought, your frame of reference is San Diego/LA and Sac, like most people here. These are not typical examples of American winters. No one is arguing Sac has nicer winters than SoCal, but both are near the absolute top in North America and the majority of those that have nicer winters have weather that is so utterly terrible in summer they are not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 12:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Sacramento is milder than much of the USA including the southern USA, like Atlanta, but not dryer in the winter.

Another good thing about Sacramento winters is it is much less likely to experience extreme cold freezes than the southern USA can experience, but

Sacramento winters are still as wet, likely much wetter than the Southern USA IN THE WINTER.

On average, Sacramento certainly does not have a "dry" winter; Wet, even very wet is more accurate...on Average.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
And how many of those 7 years had CA been in an extreme drought?

You're wrong. Sac is typically NOT sunny, mild, and dry during the winter, at least by Coastal CA standards which is what most people tend to think of when it comes to a Mediterranean climate.
I can only comment on what I've experienced. I've lived in the Mediterranean, Sac is extremely similar.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:49 PM

Yes, Sacramento has great winters, very mild, better than most of the rest of the USA, but our winters are not dry, they are wet, and easy to say, very wet compared to the rest of the USA.

Most of my time has been in California. I have lived in other states, and I travel alot, like alot, alot all year long.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Sacramento is milder than much of the USA including the southern USA, like Atlanta, but not dryer in the winter.

Another good thing about Sacramento winters is it is much less likely to experience extreme cold freezes than the southern USA can experience, but

Sacramento winters are still as wet, likely much wetter than the Southern USA IN THE WINTER.

On average, Sacramento certainly does not have a "dry" winter; Wet, even very wet is more accurate...on Average.
It's literally (and I mean that literally) not. The average day is mild, sunny and dry. For you to even be approaching right it would need to rain on at least 16 days of the month during the winter, that's how averages work. That's just a statement of absolute fact.

Sacramento - 28 days in the winter months of precipitation (it's been less 5 of the 7 years since I lived here), I mean that's just math.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
I can only comment on what I've experienced. I've lived in the Mediterranean, Sac is extremely similar.
Yes, I've spent many months in the south of France.

Lived in the cities of San Diego, Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles; Hawaii, and lived in other states briefly too.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:55 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
Yeah, there's just no way that's true. I've been here for 7 years. There have been 2 ”almost wet” winters. The people making these claims are either quoting averages that are wayyyy out of date or haven't lived anywhere else.
Seven years is a short time to be one particular location, meteorologically speaking. Yes, most of the past 7 years were "abnormally dry." That doesn't mean the averages are out of date. The average rainfall of a location isn't based on just a few years.

I've been in Orange County for 54 years. I can recall years when we only got 4 inches of rain, and years with 25+, and everything in between. Almost never has the season's rainfall been the published "average' amount.

Old 12-20-2023, 01:04 PM

Days of precipitation in winter in the US:

Sac - 28
Nashville - 33
Raleigh - 30
Atlanta - 32
New York - 32
Houston - 28
Boston - 35
New Orleans - 27
Philadelphia - 32
Charlotte - 29
Chicago - 32
Washington DC - 29

So even with the reported numbers, which are way higher than reality, Sac is still drier than almost all US metro areas. How much more evidence do you need?

Old 12-20-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, I've spent many months in the south of France.

Lived in the cities of San Diego, Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles; Hawaii, and lived in other states briefly too.
Well no wonder, you've lived in the handful of places in Europe and North America that are drier than Sac in winter. So your point is, of the places you've lived, Sacramento is the wettest in winter. No argument. Fairly typical of the people around here and their misconceptions.

Old 12-20-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Seven years is a short time to be one particular location, meteorologically speaking. Yes, most of the past 7 years were "abnormally dry." That doesn't mean the averages are out of date. The average rainfall of a location isn't based on just a few years.

I've been in Orange County for 54 years. I can recall years when we only got 4 inches of rain, and years with 25+, and everything in between. Almost never has the season's rainfall been the published "average' amount.
Even going by the out-of-date averages, I'm still right, unless you're a rain-measuring device, it's either raining or it's not. There are a tiny number of US metro areas that have fewer days of precipitation than Sacramento in winter, and even fewer that have milder temps. It's just simple math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento